App Review Apple Is Terrible for Your Privacy (The Hated One)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
The Hated One

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Walls-o'-Text are enough to turn just about anyone off who is wanting more info on this catchy click-bait thing called "privacy." So, that's a reason why Apple and these other behemoths can run pretty much unfettered, over years and amassing tons of revenue.

"Hey, we're being 'transparent' here. Not our fault you don't want to read our long and boring explanations. You just spent thousands on a new Mac. What are you gonna do now, return it just over this?"

The long text and jargon are a tried-and-true method to exploit user lack of motivation and confusion. I've written about this before, on another forum.

At :52 of the video pretty much says it all. We're just left staring blankly at our screens.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Unless I move into a cave, get rid of cable TV, Britbox, Netflix, Prime, disengage from my seven grandchildren & four children all who use WhatsApp, Facetime, email etc there isn't much I can do about privacy - The fact that billions of others are also being tracked gives me some consolation - It's a bit like a cold rainy day when you want sun, an umbrella helps but that's about it - Still prefer iPhone/Pad to anything else regardless - Privacy minded but it's a losing battle? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Unless I move into a cave, get rid of cable TV, Britbox, Netflix, Prime, disengage from my seven grandchildren & four children all who use WhatsApp, Facetime, email etc there isn't much I can do about privacy - The fact that billions of others are also being tracked gives me some consolation - It's a bit like a cold rainy day when you want sun, an umbrella helps but that's about it - Still prefer iPhone/Pad to anything else regardless - Privacy minded but it's a losing battle? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
None of these companies have any value in individual data. It is only valuable to them in aggregate. I'm pro privacy as well, but I am over the privacy panic. Especially in advertising.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

They're not terrible for privacy nor a fake but just another company which of course get and use some data.
At least these data can be configured on Apple devices and I personally trust Apple.

Data also isn't their business model like it's for Google. That's a big difference and advantage.

He have some valid points but also miss some and to me this (and his other) video sounds more like bashing instead of a professional comparison with valid facts.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Psstt, wanna rent a cave? I know of a few vacant ones ;)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

Thanks for sharing and remindng me to catch up with his recent posts.
They're not terrible for privacy nor a fake but just another company which of course get and use some data.
At least these data can be configured on Apple devices and I personally trust Apple.

Data also isn't their business model like it's for Google. That's a big difference and advantage.

He have some valid points but also miss some and to me this (and his other) video sounds more like bashing instead of a professional comparison with valid facts.
I agree that The Hated One can sometimes sound like he's bashing big tech in this type of video and most likely is often doing so. But, I find that he makes me think about the issues he has raised, not necessarily agreeing with all that he says though.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
TheHatedOne, in my opinion, does give out good arguments and explains it really well. That is a plus in my eyes if you compare it to the rest of the more privacy conscious content creators. Though he does seem to forget the target audience is not people like him and by extension the majority of the users on this forum for example, people with more technical confidence and know-how. The target is "them", the majority out there.

That being said, I sometimes get the feeling he is forgetting several factors #1 convenience and comfort (e.g. UI/UX), #2 accessibility (e.g. budget or local market availability) and #3 average consumer knowledge and usage. The average consumer will either find his videos through Google, YouTube random recommendations or acquaintances that forward his stuff to them. They certainly don't have the knowledge or confidence to do half the stuff content creators similar to him recommend. Even if it seems (or flat out is) straightforward.

Not saying he is doing a crappy job doing what he does. On the contrary, he does an excellent job explaining it, so the average Joe can understand his intentions and instructions. But he seems to forget big tech is not following the technical onces, that is a waste of time and resources. The focus is on the rest, the majority, which either doesn't care, know how, or rather wants to outsource their mediums and methods at an expense.

mitharogers

Jan 12, 2021
I used to be a fan of The Hated One but he does give a lot of terrible advice, and a lot of what he says are misrepresentations or outright wrong. For example in this video, he’s bashing Apple, which is totally fair. But he then turns around and tells people that there is an alternative… being “Linux”. Using the Linux kernel doesn’t make you private, and it certainly doesn’t make you secure. This is just one example though, The Hated One (along with the other “privacy advice” grifters) misrepresent many other things as well and give other terrible advice in respect to whatever they are misrepresenting or lying about.

That being said I do really like his videos on VPNs and I’m sure there are some other decent ones. But take this whole “privacy” thing with a grain of salt. The reality is that there currently aren’t any alternatives to most of the technology we use. Promoting “Linux” only hurts us. Instead we ought to be promoting technology that is freedom respecting and secure, not giving ourselves a false sense of safety.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.