Advice Request Are AVG and Avast the same product now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
Hi everyone,
I was thinking of changing to Avast for a bit just to see how it performs these days (and because I'm bored). I was wondering since the acquisition of AVG from Avast some time back the company has kept developing both products but I see different features move from one to the other. I wanted to ask you guys are there any differences in system resource usage and security if I decide to use AVG free vs Avast free or are they essentially the same product?
Thanks!

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
No they are not the same in terms of features and the variety of settings. Avast offers more features such as WIFI INspector and Sandbox. When it comes to protection settings, Avast offers more dtailed settings such as in the Ransomware shield where you can choose between smart and strict modes. I am using both and I can say that Avast feels a bit lighter than AVG but AVG is less bloated, if I may say. You cannot go wrong with both of them just do not forget to untick the unnecessary options in data sharing settings. One more point, AVG licenses are cheaper; you can get a 2-year 10-device licesne for AVG IS for $19.99. I am talking about the paid versions.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Hi everyone,
I was thinking of changing to Avast for a bit just to see how it performs these days (and because I'm bored). I was wondering since the acquisition of AVG from Avast some time back the company has kept developing both products but I see different features move from one to the other. I wanted to ask you guys are there any differences in system resource usage and security if I decide to use AVG free vs Avast free or are they essentially the same product?
Thanks!
Same product. The only deference is the GUI and the hardener mode is standard on AVG

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Same product. The only deference is the GUI and the hardener mode is standard on AVG
Yes, yesterday I compared the two settings of the two product and they are identical even in the hardened mode (you can no longer choose hardened mode type).

Avast offers more dtailed settings such as in the Ransomware shield where you can choose between smart and strict modes.
I do apologise for the false information. These settings are present at AVG settings either I had not seen them before or they have been added recently. Thus, AVG and AVAST are the same.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
They're different only in the features.
AVG Free - File Shredder
Avast Free - Network Scanner and Password Manager. Avast only gives you the File Shredder in the paid Premier.
I’d take the file shredder. More useful. I know my network and vpn on unknown.

Reactions: DSD27

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Hi everyone,
Thanks!
yes, it is the same product, it uses the same detection mechanism, only with a different cover, layout

Reactions: toto

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
No more aggressive hardened mode in Avast? Did you check "Old settings?" :unsure:
That is an interesting matter, if you select "aggressive" in the old settings, when you return to the new settings, the Hardened Mode box will appear unchecked. If you chek it again, it will automatically go to "moderate" in old settings. Which one is actually right...? Avast says the old settings are going away very soon.

Reactions: stefanos and KIKIN

KIKIN

Level 1
Apr 17, 2020
yes, it is the same product, it uses the same detection mechanism, only with a different cover, layout

Apparently they use different detection mechanisms of virus detection ! o_O

Since I used a USB DRIVE(Pen drive), I analyzed it separately, and the result was:

AVAST: zero (virus).
AVG: 4(Virus). :unsure:

I'm not indicating which one is better than the other, but if it had the same detection mechanism, the result should have been:
AVAST: zero(virus)
AVG: zero(virus)

or

AVAST: 4(virus)
AVG: 4(virus):rolleyes:

Reactions: Aggravatorx

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
That is an interesting matter, if you select "aggressive" in the old settings, when you return to the new settings, the Hardened Mode box will appear unchecked. If you chek it again, it will automatically go to "moderate" in old settings. Which one is actually right...? Avast says the old settings are going away very soon.
If you set the old settings is always aggressive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.