Advice Request Are AVG and Avast the same product now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
AVG / Avast it's a pure garbage. Their Free protection have a lot of features, why I should buy Premium? It's pure Marketing, most of these features don't work well. Just to encourage or force users upgrading for their (Paid) Premium Solutions.

I'm not saying that Avast doesn't detect anything, but please they are first antivirus on the market with a lot of users using it. They sell your data and much more.

Say thanks to "their famous free antivirus" all of this people thinks they are good. They aren't good.

I never, but never would go buy their Premium products NEVER. I already saw computers of Family and Friends with AVG/Avast with a lot of Adware / PUP / Malware, that is very funny for a Antivirus who claims to have a lot of features in FREE VERSION. Shouldn't that be able to stop half of them? Hmm..

When I scanned with Hitman Pro and MalwareBytes, RogueKiller tons of malware, PUP installed. Looks like AVG/Avast is not doing that is supposed to do.

With ESET, Kaspersky, BitDefender never happened that, of course somethings can be bypassed, they aren't 100% Unbeatable. But with Kaspersky and ESET or BitDefender I never had such problems. Always running smoothly and less malware and PUP on computers of my friends and family.

People have a wrong idea of AVG/Avast. Do you know what is funny? When you receive a email of your friend with "Protected with Avast" in Email Signature, and when you receive another message in Social Media from them, spreading virus / suspicious links. Funny isn't?

For me, is a BIG NO. Waste of money, I have better alternatives like I mention here.

IMO of course.

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
I tried to sell an excess licence for AVG on eBay but my auction was terminated for violation of Avast's intellectual property and I got a suspension. Mine was at the time the only AVG product on eBay. This was barely a month ago and now I see eBay is flooded with AVG listings and they are doing naught about it. I wonder what gives?

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Selling Digital items are in the grey-area on sites like eBay, where the licenses cannot be verified to be genuine or not, especially from private sellers.
I'm sure its legal here in Australia. Lateral, horizontal or cartel like or anti-competitive price or supply fixing is illegal here. That's why I was surprised that they made such a determination unilaterally against me.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
I tried to sell an excess licence for AVG on eBay but my auction was terminated for violation of Avast's intellectual property and I got a suspension. Mine was at the time the only AVG product on eBay. This was barely a month ago and now I see eBay is flooded with AVG listings and they are doing naught about it. I wonder what gives?

Good job! They avoid you to buy trash. What a waste of money. You have better choices and alternatives. Are you sure you want to waste your money with Avast / AVG Gargabe? When you have better alternatives? For example GData, Emsisoft, BitDefender, ESET and Kaspersky.

Reactions: Dave Russo
L

Local Host

Good job! They avoid you to buy trash. What a waste of money. You have better choices and alternatives. Are you sure you want to waste your money with Avast / AVG Gargabe? When you have better alternatives? For example GData, Emsisoft, BitDefender, ESET and Kaspersky.
An AVG/Avast license costs four times more than a Kaspersky license, so I agree is a waste of money.

Even ESET sells licenses for reasonable prices, personally I got F-Secure last time.

Chipicao

Level 2
May 17, 2020
An AVG/Avast license costs four times more than a Kaspersky license, so I agree is a waste of money.

Even ESET sells licenses for reasonable prices, personally I got F-Secure last time.

My ESET licenses key that I bought from user of Ebay (of course I've checked feedback before buy) has been blocked.
So be careful, is better buy from official website, sometimes you catch some discounts.

For me, AVG/Avast is a waste of money. Like I said before. There are better alternatives in the market. GData Premium with Firewall costs 39.99€ is not expensive... and ESET,BitDefender, Kaspersky and Emsisoft also aren't very expensive, and their are much better skilled than AVAST/AVG.

Of course IMO.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
My ESET licenses key that I bought from user of Ebay (of course I've checked feedback before buy) has been blocked.
So be careful, is better buy from official website, sometimes you catch some discounts.

For me, AVG/Avast is a waste of money. Like I said before. There are better alternatives in the market. GData Premium with Firewall costs 39.99€ is not expensive... and ESET,BitDefender, Kaspersky and Emsisoft also aren't very expensive, and their are much better skilled than AVAST/AVG.

Of course IMO.
Because it was a pirated license.
You could get pirated goods for free why support pirates with money?

L

Local Host

Of course IMO.
Honestly I wasn't even mentioning third-party sellers, but the official pricing for the products, in which AVG/AVAST are extremely overpriced in comparison to way better alternatives like Kaspersky, ESET and others.

If we talk third-parties, we can get Kaspersky licenses for less than 5€.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Hi everyone,
I was thinking of changing to Avast for a bit just to see how it performs these days (and because I'm bored). I was wondering since the acquisition of AVG from Avast some time back the company has kept developing both products but I see different features move from one to the other. I wanted to ask you guys are there any differences in system resource usage and security if I decide to use AVG free vs Avast free or are they essentially the same product?
Thanks!
I did the same thing recently, went back to Avast, same boredom, it really is a nice program because all the tweaks, firewall really good, all around strong product{seems to be},but they still hard sell you at every turn,really want to monopolize ,I think the CEO apologized about selling data,so maybe thats stoped

Reactions: toto

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Not every Key is Pirated, for example some of Windows Keys are "legit", no one single problem with them. Isn't pirated at all..
All cheap Windows keys are being sold illegally. They are volume license keys which despite being genuine (which is why they'll activate with no problem), can not legally be distributed to others. In some cases, eventually some keys will be blacklisted and if they happens, Windows will be deactivated on computers using blacklisted product keys. Sometimes these keys will never be blacklisted and you can keep illegally using them forever.

The same applies for cheap OEM MS Office licenses too.

Microsoft still lets you upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.x to Windows 10 for free. So if you have a license for Windows 7/8, there's no need to pay for a Windows 10 license.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
All cheap Windows keys are being sold illegally. They are volume license keys which despite being genuine (which is why they'll activate with no problem), can not legally be distributed to others. In some cases, eventually some keys will be blacklisted and if they happens, Windows will be deactivated on computers using blacklisted product keys. Sometimes these keys will never be blacklisted and you can keep illegally using them forever.

The same applies for cheap OEM MS Office licenses too.

Microsoft still lets you upgrade from Windows 7 and 8.x to Windows 10 for free. So if you have a license for Windows 7/8, there's no need to pay for a Windows 10 license.
exactly

Reactions: roger_m

Cleo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Thanks but the purpose was just for testing not general use. Newegg 3device 2year Ulti was $19.95 at the time so it wasn't the worst price I've seen.

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
they kinda are the same product. not good, not terrible, somewhere in between. full of scareware, crapware, useless "tools".. don`t throw rocks! just sayin` 🙈

Reactions: Vitali Ortzi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.