Battle Are there any antivirus that uses multiple engine?

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
we have have access to latest engine and signature from BD, without delays; however we don't use their cloud, only our own

So it's sort of an ala carte pricing to subscribers (Emsisoft) in this case but if a subscriber doesn't opt in on that option how are the engines updated.

Reactions: Weebarra
D

Deleted member 178

So it's sort of an ala carte pricing to subscribers (Emsisoft) in this case but if a subscriber doesn't opt in on that option how are the engines updated.
I personally don't know the details, im not even 100% sure there is different subscriptions about signatures, i just know what concerns Emsisoft and that we have the latest engine and signatures. We connect to the same update servers as BD.

However i heard that some other vendors using BD seems to use older engines, i didn't verified tough and i'm not sure they will even give me an answer :p

Last edited by a moderator:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Than are their any advantages at all to using multi-engine products.:confused:
This is a quote stolen from Dan's web site.
If VoodooShield blocks a file, it will automatically upload the file for analysis with 50+ of the top continuously updated blacklist antivirus providers.

I use VoodooShield and just want to clarify that it is not an antivirus. It is an anti-executable (whitelist) that only allows whitelisted apps to run unchallenged.

If you are running VoodooShield in the default smart mode, when it encounters a program not on the whitelist, it automatically blocks it and checks it against the 50+ VirusTotal engines to see if it is suspicious (blacklist scan) and then alerts you. Then it is up to you to allow it to run (or to continue blocking).

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Secure A Plus, Herd Protect, Qihoo, Trustport, Emsisoft, Hitman Pro, etc. Just about everybody that uses signatures is using multiple engines or VT lookup nowadays.

I guess what the OP is really asking is if there is an AV that uses many scan engines. In that case there is Secure A Plus, Herd Protect and OPSWAT.

Using many scan engines simultaneously really does not increase security (it improves security incrementally), but it certainly does increase false positives if some of scan engines used are not quality engines.

Last time I looked Secure A Plus was using all quality engines, plus it is default deny. Herd Protect and OPSWAT are just simple scanners.

I'm not sure why HitmanPro has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. It is not an antivirus. It is a malware cleanup tool, that can be used as a second opinion scanner. It is currently bundled with HitmanPro.Alert and Sophos business products, as well as Sophos Home Premium.

I use both HitmanPro and Alert, and they work well WITH an antivirus program. (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I'm not sure why HitmanPro has been mentioned a couple times in this thread. It is not an antivirus. It is a malware cleanup tool, that can be used as a second opinion scanner. It is currently bundled with HitmanPro.Alert and Sophos business products, as well as Sophos Home Premium.

I use both HitmanPro and Alert, and they work well WITH an antivirus program. (y)
The new HMPA, soon to be released, has a realtime malware scanner, so maybe that's how it got into the discussion. It is presently in "release candidate" stage, and is performing well.

It is a three engine scanner. The OP was not clear if they wanted a multi-engine real-time AV or scanner-only since "antivirus" is used interchangeably nowadays to mean just about anything.

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Are you interested in using multiple engine-scanner for your realtime protection? I hope you'll be cool for all these false positives :D
If I'm allowed to give you an advice: use a single or dual-engine product for your realtime protection and some second opinions and boot media antivirus solutions for regular scanning. I'm currently using 8 engines (Avira, ESET, F-Secure and Sophos as boot media and Emsisoft, Zemana and AdwCleaner as second opinion scanners) for regular scanning but only one for my real-time protection (Kaspersky) :)

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
It is a three engine scanner. The OP was not clear if they wanted a multi-engine real-time AV or scanner-only since "antivirus" is used interchangeably nowadays to mean just about anything.

Not really sure what you are referring to. The OP asked 'Are there any antivirus that uses multiple engine?'.

With all due respect, I don't agree that the terms are interchangeable. That approach only obfuscates the intended use of the terms. I think that 'antivirus' is a clearly defined concept. There are a lot of anti-malware tools and scanners on the periphery, but antivirus is a distinctly defined category.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Zemana use more than 1 engine too.

Used to be the case. But is still the case? There are reports on this forum from recent months that Zemana AM's quality has gone way down because it dropped the outside engines.

Using many scan engines simultaneously really does not increase security (it improves security incrementally), but it certainly does increase false positives if some of scan engines used are not quality engines.

Recently did a herdProtect scan. Set aside the results in disgust over the huge number of one-engine out of sixty (or whatever) detections. Too much to deal with.

Not really sure what you are referring to. The OP asked 'Are there any antivirus that uses multiple engine?'.

With all due respect, I don't agree that the terms are interchangeable. That approach only obfuscates the intended use of the terms. I think that 'antivirus' is a clearly defined concept. There are a lot of anti-malware tools and scanners on the periphery, but antivirus is a distinctly defined category.

The way people use the term antivirus it could mean anything. This is a mutli-language, multi-national forum despite the "official" forum language being English. Strict or formal terminology and proper categorization are rarely used on these forums. Most people consider HMP to be an antivirus scanner. It is the way people talk in everyday English language.

HMP is a 3 engine cloud scanner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
signature-wise as an AV, not a scanner, nothing can beat secureaplus

I noticed multi-engine AVs or scanners usually have worse detection rate than single or dual-engine AVs. The best are Kaspersky and ESET with the highest detection rates, much better than almost all multiengine AVs, except secureaplus
I also noticed although zemana has multiple engines, it still has worse detection rate than avast, only better against PUPs than avast

360 has bad detection rate even with 3 engines enabled. Trustport is also not good

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.