Battle Are there any antivirus that uses multiple engine?

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
Antivirus software with 2 engines is currently very popular.
Maybe you want to hear a joke?
What engines does Avast use?
His own and AVG's.
Hahahahahahahaha. Fun by the side.
1410924605540.jpg

However, I'm not such a big fan of such software so I can't recommend anything to you. If you are looking for such software, Google will help you.
AV-Vendors - AV-Comparatives

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Here is your list:
@YukiRed
Quick Heal use Bitdefender engine, ZoneAlarm use Kaspersky cloud! sophos also use Kasper sky cloud and BitDefender (since Hitman pro use Kasper and bd engine and Sophos home premium included the rebranded version of hitman pro which calls Sophos clean) Escan also use the BitDefender engine.baidu av(Chinese version) also use Kaspersky cloud

Last edited:

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
SecureAPlus Cloud is not UpToDate... same for total security 360...so having an av with 50 engines is not useful...

I thought the whole idea of having multiple engines was to decrease the odds of a zero day attack due to a single engine product not being up to date and the 50 engine product you refer to is Voodoo Shield isn't it, SecureAPlus uses 12, not sure about TS360. BTW, terrific avatar

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
Than are their any advantages at all to using multi-engine products.:confused:
This is a quote stolen from Dan's web site.
If VoodooShield blocks a file, it will automatically upload the file for analysis with 50+ of the top continuously updated blacklist antivirus providers.

Last edited:

Secure A Plus, Herd Protect, Qihoo, Trustport, Emsisoft, Hitman Pro, etc. Just about everybody that uses signatures is using multiple engines or VT lookup nowadays.

I guess what the OP is really asking is if there is an AV that uses many scan engines. In that case there is Secure A Plus, Herd Protect and OPSWAT.

Using many scan engines simultaneously really does not increase security (it improves security incrementally), but it certainly does increase false positives if some of scan engines used are not quality engines.

Last time I looked Secure A Plus was using all quality engines, plus it is default deny. Herd Protect and OPSWAT are just simple scanners.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Emsisoft is the best antivirus that uses multiple engine.(y)
Yes, it is the best of them, and it does use 2 engines, but I don't think the double engine is what makes Emsisoft great.
Actually, SecureAPlus is very strong by comparison, but that is because of the anti-exe component, not because of the multi-cloud AV.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Maybe better to stack your own engines?

Use ClamAV w/Clam Sentinel to make it realtime. Then use whatever AV product you want? ClamAV generally works with any other AV without much hassle and the hilarious part is, ClamAV is outscoring Windows Defender and Malwarebytes these days, and scores in the top 10 on Shadowserver. Just an idea. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Yes, it is the best of them, and it does use 2 engines, but I don't think the double engine is what makes Emsisoft great.
Actually, SecureAPlus is very strong by comparison, but that is because of the anti-exe component, not because of the multi-cloud AV.
Well, the double engine thing seem to be working very good for Emsisoft considering AV-Lab's test of free malware scanners.

D

Deleted member 178

The multi-engine AVs don't get real-time data-base updates from the leading companies.
So you get more false positives, and less zero-day detection.
Not forcibly true, it depends of the licensing made by the "renter " vendor; in the case of Emsisoft, we have have access to latest engine and signature from BD, without delays; however we don't use their cloud, only our own.

I gave a basic explanation on how our engines works: Q&A - AV-Lab's test of FREE malware scanners

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Not forcibly true, it depends of the licensing made by the "renter " vendor; in the case of Emsisoft, we have have access to latest engine and signature from BD, without delays; however we don't use their cloud, only our own.

I gave a basic explanation on how our engines works: Q&A - AV-Lab's test of FREE malware scanners
Master Umbra:geek:. it's not the same 2 engines as 20. Two is almost normal many Av's have two engines.:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.