Advice Request Are they leaving the Home version behind for the Enterprise version ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

safetrend

Level 1
Apr 15, 2022
I don't know exactly but I think so except Nortonlifelock family.

Edit: oops i didn't recognize this thread was on emsisoft forum. But, Emsisoft is one of the vendors trying to enter the enterprise market.

Last edited:

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
I could be wrong, but lately there are no real updates for the Home version, their focus on updates for new protections is on the corporate version, I think because they have few normal (home) customers they are now targeting corporate customers to see if they can get a slice in this market :whistle:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Now that the pc virus is changing from annoying mischief to individuals to something that affects corporate money and credit, I think it can't be helped.

Perhaps in the future, home user security software will become a cost-cutting model for business products.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Now that the pc virus is changing from annoying mischief to individuals to something that affects corporate money and credit, I think it can't be helped.

Perhaps in the future, home user security software will become a cost-cutting model for business products.
Especially with the evolution of Microsoft Defender, over time people will not have to spend money on third-party antivirus programs, since what comes with Windows is already good enough to protect them, it remains for companies focused on security to play in the corporate world (y)

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home still remains a powerful security software and better than WD. Great overall protection.
Will it be? A while ago I would have agreed with you, but today I don't know, Microsoft Defender has been showing in tests that it is fighting on equal terms with the best on the market, Windows dominates the world market in computers, have you ever thought about the size of the database they process per day? They can have faster virus signatures easily than any other third-party av, and they even have the advantage that Microsoft Defender is fully integrated into Windows code, they can patch and release updates easily, especially in performance.. they have knife and cheese in hand, it's up to them :)

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
Emsisoft generates most income through business users. The home-user antivirus/antimalware industry is somewhat 'developed to death', meaning that there is little space left for further product innovation. Almost all vendors serving that segment work on a very high level of product quality, including the freeware solutions. With that in mind, I think it's not surprising that there haven't been many major changes in the consumer edition of Emsisoft in recent years.
Windows Defender has half of the market share today and the rest is split across a few consumer-focused big brands who keep buying smaller consumer focused vendors. Though, consumer sales only work if you have more products to (up)sell to your user base. VPNs and other 'tools' seem to be lucrative for some vendors, but we at Emsisoft prefer to focus on doing one thing but do it right: Protection.
Yes, we are spending most of our development efforts in cloud based security solutions, in specific in EDR and other advanced protection techniques that aim at professional users and larger organizations. But the tech trickles down to the home edition as well. Mostly under the hood.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Emsisoft generates most income through business users. The home-user antivirus/antimalware industry is somewhat 'developed to death', meaning that there is little space left for further product innovation. Almost all vendors serving that segment work on a very high level of product quality, including the freeware solutions. With that in mind, I think it's not surprising that there haven't been many major changes in the consumer edition of Emsisoft in recent years.
Windows Defender has half of the market share today and the rest is split across a few consumer-focused big brands who keep buying smaller consumer focused vendors. Though, consumer sales only work if you have more products to (up)sell to your user base. VPNs and other 'tools' seem to be lucrative for some vendors, but we at Emsisoft prefer to focus on doing one thing but do it right: Protection.
Yes, we are spending most of our development efforts in cloud based security solutions, in specific in EDR and other advanced protection techniques that aim at professional users and larger organizations. But the tech trickles down to the home edition as well. Mostly under the hood.
Just a cruel doubt I have, are you from Emsisoft already thinking about abandoning the home version in the future if the scenario persists and focusing only on corporate protection or will the home version continue?
I was right then, the home version doesn't generate much profit or doesn't have much to improve and the obvious choice is to stay in the corporate market, it's a little sad to know that, especially for those of us who use home versions, but understanding the market seems acceptable. Thank you very much for coming here and clarifying us about this, always success for Emsisoft!

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
A potential source of income from end users could be concluding partnerships with other software developers and offer bundled software as it was the case before with SyncBack.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think other vendors are probably thinking the same way. Many vendors and free software are competing for the small market that defenders missed. Focusing on it is not a good balance between effort and profit.

I hope Emisi will continue to be sold to individuals.

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
We currently don't intend to leave the consumer segment entirely. Please keep in mind that the software on the desktop is exactly the same as the Business Security and Enterprise Security edition. Even the update feeds are the same, but some features that are especially directed to business use cases are only available in the business plans.
We don't really see a need to forcefully redesign the desktop UI each year just to look fresh again. In fact, most users never open the UI anyway and only get in touch with the visual parts of the software if something is alerted. Which is exactly how it should be, in our opinion.
The quality of the protection sits always under the hood and I can assure you we're more active in that regard than ever before. :)

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
We currently don't intend to leave the consumer segment entirely. Please keep in mind that the software on the desktop is exactly the same as the Business Security and Enterprise Security edition. Even the update feeds are the same, but some features that are especially directed to business use cases are only available in the business plans.
We don't really see a need to forcefully redesign the desktop UI each year just to look fresh again. In fact, most users never open the UI anyway and only get in touch with the visual parts of the software if something is alerted. Which is exactly how it should be, in our opinion.
The quality of the protection sits always under the hood and I can assure you we're more active in that regard than ever before. :)
I'm glad to know, because you as a company are an example for others, in privacy and especially in your support, very good indeed! As for the interface, I am already a user who opens it all the time, I like to look at the interface, change the settings, and the Emsisoft interface is beautiful and fast, especially when the dark mode is activated. Anyway, once again I wish you success ;)(y)

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
But this is not the reason that Emsi can directly banned legitimate user's license with out reason .

This reminds me , my legitimate license got banned with out any reason or notice ,
when I send a email、forum post or even Facebook to protest ,
what I get response from official was my email and forum account got banned , too .

For me , Emsisoft It just a company that has lost its integrity and has no credibility.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.