Advice Request Are they leaving the Home version behind for the Enterprise version ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Multi-Visions

May 2, 2019
To all,

As the NA distributor of Emsisoft, rest assure the way Emsisoft got big is through the development of home users who then would convince the later to use their software in their business.
Having sold Emsisoft for years now, allot of RUMORS have started recently with posts on Wilders etc...Just a FYi they are stronger then ever and we continue to stand by their great products and services!

Multi-Visions

May 2, 2019
Your taking messages that have been posted by someone posting under a Emsisoft Logo. Christian M made it very clear he is shutting down the chat to offer 1:1 chats for Support. NO OTHER AV/MALWARE company does and offers that service to their clients. If anything they are getting closer to the home users to help them with their needs. Its amazing how people twist the truth. As their NA Distributor apart from creating the Workspace and having a learning curve to learn it they have been phenomenal to deal with. It is a Honor and privilege to sell their product and services.

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
But this is not the reason that Emsi can directly banned legitimate user's license with out reason .

This reminds me , my legitimate license got banned with out any reason or notice ,
when I send a email、forum post or even Facebook to protest ,
what I get response from official was my email and forum account got banned , too .

Can you please send me details of that through PM so I can investigate? Or is this just a rumor like the other ones you've planted in other forums?

We're legally not entitled to disable products that customers have paid for and I can't see any possible scenarios other than fraud or general country-wide sanctions that would lead to blocking licenses at all, to be honest. The only legitimate reason to invalidate licenses is when they're not paid (ie. customer requested a refund or triggered a chargeback after buying).

> what I get response from official was my email and forum account got banned

You have to break the forum rules quite severely and multiple times to get banned there. Again, here's my offer to investigate this particular case, but I'll need more details please.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
Forums-Emsisoft-Support-Forums.png
Source: Emsisoft Support Forums

@Emsisoft Will the entire forum be retired? Even the beta community?

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
Can you please send me details of that through PM so I can investigate? Or is this just a rumor like the other ones you've planted in other forums?

We're legally not entitled to disable products that customers have paid for and I can't see any possible scenarios other than fraud or general country-wide sanctions that would lead to blocking licenses at all, to be honest. The only legitimate reason to invalidate licenses is when they're not paid (ie. customer requested a refund or triggered a chargeback after buying).

> what I get response from official was my email and forum account got banned

You have to break the forum rules quite severely and multiple times to get banned there. Again, here's my offer to investigate this particular case, but I'll need more details please.

You guys already banned my email ( which I never got any reply anymore ) ,
and my forum account got banned with out any notice , after that , I create a brand new account ,
and ask politely about why my main account got banned and request to restore it ,
what I got reply was my new account got banned again with out notice .
(the screenshot I will attach on this post)

Because private issue , so I won't public post more private information right here , I will send a PM to you later ,
I had record the communication between me and official with screenshot ,
all I talking about was true , not a rumor . In fact , Is Emsi's new customer manger Fabio Di Bari ,
blame customers for no reason .

About my forum account got banned , I do not know what rules I break ,
did I complaining about Emsi's poor service break the rules ?
I even didn't get any warning or notice , and If so , why my new account got banned again even I do not post anything ?

--------------------------

I'm not going to discuss my personal issues in public discussions,
I will communicate with you by PM , although I am not holding out expectations ....

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 17-07-45 Emsisoft Support Forums.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 17-07-45 Emsisoft Support Forums.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 2021-08-28_01-06-48.jpg
    2021-08-28_01-06-48.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Emsisoft Do you tie user's trial license with Hardware ID? If yes, then that seems quite the opposite of your reputation of being a privacy-friendly company. To be clear, I'm talking about this specific scenario only. I applaud your privacy initiatives except this one, if what I'm about to write is correct.
In my previous laptop I tried the trial version of Emsisoft in early 2019 I think. A few months later, I won a license of Emsi here on MT which I used for a few months continuously but eventually had to give up because of constant false positive while updating all kinds of apps including Firefox which at that time was a well known issue.
Later in mid 2020 when I wanted to check out Emsi again, it wouldn't let me. It said, my trial period is over. Tried a new account but same. Windows were reinstalled multiple times between my first use of Emsi to this one. Later I bought a PC and tried Emsisoft trial again, this time I gave up because of constant high CPU usage. I even reported on the Emsi forum, but the support stuff were struggling to reproduce it on their system.
Anyway, fast-forward to near the end of 2021, I wanted to try Emsisoft again because the official Emsisoft partner in my country was selling it for a lower than average price. I thought about grabbing a license but, like everyone should, I wanted to try the trial version first specially to check if the CPU usage has been fixed. But alas! Even with a new Emsisoft account, after activating the trial license it again said, my trial period is over.
Emsisoft keeping some sort of hardware ID of client's PC is the only logical explanation I could think of. When I reinstall Windows, it gets automatically activated immediately because of similar reason. Which makes sense for Microsoft to activate Windows, but not for Emsisoft to verify who used their trial version before. To make it clear once again, every time it was a different installation of Windows, so If my guess is correct then I kind of already know why (to prevent trial abuse) you do this, but even with that in mind, I find this to be a bad practice.
Correct me if I'm wrong. This is based on my experience only.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Emsisoft generates most income through business users. The home-user antivirus/antimalware industry is somewhat 'developed to death', meaning that there is little space left for further product innovation. Almost all vendors serving that segment work on a very high level of product quality, including the freeware solutions. With that in mind, I think it's not surprising that there haven't been many major changes in the consumer edition of Emsisoft in recent years.
Windows Defender has half of the market share today and the rest is split across a few consumer-focused big brands who keep buying smaller consumer focused vendors. Though, consumer sales only work if you have more products to (up)sell to your user base. VPNs and other 'tools' seem to be lucrative for some vendors, but we at Emsisoft prefer to focus on doing one thing but do it right: Protection.
Yes, we are spending most of our development efforts in cloud based security solutions, in specific in EDR and other advanced protection techniques that aim at professional users and larger organizations. But the tech trickles down to the home edition as well. Mostly under the hood.
You need to update your BB to block the ever-changing Magniber ransomware. Currently, Emsisoft cannot block this ransomware if Bitdefender's signature fails to cover a new variant of it.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
@Emsisoft Do you tie user's trial license with Hardware ID? If yes, then that seems quite the opposite of your reputation of being a privacy-friendly company. To be clear, I'm talking about this specific scenario only. I applaud your privacy initiatives except this one, if what I'm about to write is correct.
In my previous laptop I tried the trial version of Emsisoft in early 2019 I think. A few months later, I won a license of Emsi here on MT which I used for a few months continuously but eventually had to give up because of constant false positive while updating all kinds of apps including Firefox which at that time was a well known issue.
Later in mid 2020 when I wanted to check out Emsi again, it wouldn't let me. It said, my trial period is over. Tried a new account but same. Windows were reinstalled multiple times between my first use of Emsi to this one. Later I bought a PC and tried Emsisoft trial again, this time I gave up because of constant high CPU usage. I even reported on the Emsi forum, but the support stuff were struggling to reproduce it on their system.
Anyway, fast-forward to near the end of 2021, I wanted to try Emsisoft again because the official Emsisoft partner in my country was selling it for a lower than average price. I thought about grabbing a license but, like everyone should, I wanted to try the trial version first specially to check if the CPU usage has been fixed. But alas! Even with a new Emsisoft account, after activating the trial license it again said, my trial period is over.
Emsisoft keeping some sort of hardware ID of client's PC is the only logical explanation I could think of. When I reinstall Windows, it gets automatically activated immediately because of similar reason. Which makes sense for Microsoft to activate Windows, but not for Emsisoft to verify who used their trial version before. To make it clear once again, every time it was a different installation of Windows, so If my guess is correct then I kind of already know why (to prevent trial abuse) you do this, but even with that in mind, I find this to be a bad practice.
Correct me if I'm wrong. This is based on my experience only.
It's one thing that I also don't think is correct to link a trial license to the hardware id, GDATA does the same thing, even if you do a clean install of Windows or another account you are no longer entitled to test the product, that's not cool

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
We must be able to identify devices uniquely in some or another way. Avoiding trial resets is just one reason here, but we also need a unique identifier to make sure that only authenticated devices send data to the cloud. Otherwise it would open doors for potential infiltration of data to your protection logs online.
The unique hardware identifier consists of a number of hashes of several of your hardware components' serial numbers. Which means we don't transfer any hardware specifics or serials, but only a short hash/checksum of them which can't be translated back to the original sequences that they're based on.
So far we have been unable to find other methods to uniquely link a device to a license in an even more privacy conscious way. I'm open to suggestions though.
That said, being privacy conscious doesn't automatically mean that users should be able to skip all liability for their actions and get a free pass to fool and exploit a system. E.g. if we weren't able to uniquely assign trial licenses, someone would make a simple trial resetter for sure, and potentially kill our main source of income. So there needs to be a balance that considers essential requirements of both sides I think.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
We must be able to identify devices uniquely in some or another way. Avoiding trial resets is just one reason here, but we also need a unique identifier to make sure that only authenticated devices send data to the cloud. Otherwise it would open doors for potential infiltration of data to your protection logs online.
The unique hardware identifier consists of a number of hashes of several of your hardware components' serial numbers. Which means we don't transfer any hardware specifics or serials, but only a short hash/checksum of them which can't be translated back to the original sequences that they're based on.
So far we have been unable to find other methods to uniquely link a device to a license in an even more privacy conscious way. I'm open to suggestions though.
That said, being privacy conscious doesn't automatically mean that users should be able to skip all liability for their actions and get a free pass to fool and exploit a system. E.g. if we weren't able to uniquely assign trial licenses, someone would make a simple trial resetter for sure, and potentially kill our main source of income. So there needs to be a balance that considers essential requirements of both sides I think.
This also means users like me who used Emsisoft in the past but didn't stay with it for valid reasons can't test newer versions anymore without paying first. So this is not an ideal situation.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
This also means users like me who used Emsisoft in the past but didn't stay with it for valid reasons can't test newer versions anymore without paying first. So this is not an ideal situation.

Yes, it is a problem, but if my memory serves me right Emsisoft used to reset the trial period after a major version and the support could supply a 30 day trial key if contacted.

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
Hello Emsisoft!

I won a license key for Emsisoft AntiMalware. I never used it because my main antivirus had many days left. How can I change this key status from expired to valid ?

Response from Emsisoft:

Hello again,

Please refer to MalwareTips directly. They may have included this information somewhere else in the promotion.

We provided them with the coupons, which need to be activated few months after the issue date.

Thanks for understanding and happy holidays.

Giveaway: Emsisoft Anti-Malware Summer Giveaway Giveaway

• HaHa
Reactions: Nevi and dinosaur07

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
By the way ,
about my previous complaint about Emsisoft ,
banned my legitimate license with out reason and notice ,
I had received Emsisoft's CEO PM reply.

After the CEO's own investigation ,
confirm what I'm complaining about Emsisoft ,
isn't a rumor but Emsisoft's customer serve mistake and misunderstand .

Due to personal privacy concerns,
I cannot publish the content here,
but Emsisoft apologize for what happened on me,
and offered me a compensation , and I accepted it .

Although I regret that this happened ,
but at least with the help from Emsisoft's CEO,
solved the matter .

-------------------------------

I hope that when the official forum is closed,
Emsisoft staff still can be communicate on other public forums,
and, as before, provide good service .

😌

Last edited:

KevinYu0504

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2017
kevin why do you write poems? we love prose here

Haha , sorry for that ... 😅
English isn't my main language , some words I had already forgot or doesn't know how to spell ,
I need Google translate for help .

However , Google translate isn't that smart , especially translate from Chinese to English .
So , If my grammar is strange , please bear with me .

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.