Advice Request Are USSD exploits still a concern?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Should I use an app to protect against USSD exploits/vulnerabilities?

• Yes

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 65228

USSD Exploit Test

Check if your device is vulnerable but only if USSD is supported. If it is vulnerable then it'd be in your interest to take precaution to help mitigate such attacks, and there are apps on Google Play from vendors like Bitdefender which are supposed to tackle USSD exploitation. However, I doubt such attacks are prevalent anymore because these exploitation mitigation applications have not been updated for years.

You can also keep your Android device up-to-date with the latest updates to help keep it more secure, patching old and known but patched vulnerabilities, making you a harder target in general.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
The vulnerability lies more in general Android (fortunately, not all phones) and has been definitively fixed by Google with Jelly Bean:

Log - android-4.1.1_r1 - platform/packages/apps/Contacts - Git at Google

Theoretically you could be at risk using an old Android version, but I think criminals have lost interest in taking advantage of USSD and looking for something more interesting and rewarding but yes @Opcode said good tips about that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.