Advice Request Are you using DNS over HTTPS? - Test using Cloudflare Browsing Security Check

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are you using DNS over HTTPS?

• Yes

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Yes with Encrypted SNI

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
On my location now Cloudflare, Quad9, Adguard, OpenDNS are basically the same which is 65ms on average. Google is a bit slower with more than 80 and even over 100 sometimes. I was getting 19ms on Cloudflare for the last few weeks but now its back to 65 again. While it was getting 19 ms, I was getting connected to their Canadian servers. Canada is far away from my location while now I get 65ms and gets connected to either Australian or Singapore servers. Singapore is far nearer compared to Canada yet I was getting better response time there in case of Cloudflare. All other DNS providers always connect to Singapore based servers.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Just switched to Quad9 DoH, it feels faster cause my ISP fixed routing latency and now I'm 56ms away from any server located in Miami US, previously it used to be between 80-120ms. Cloudflare is 2ms away but I don't like it at all.

Screenshot_20200603-100520_MikroTik.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Just switched to Quad9 DoH, it feels faster cause my ISP fixed routing latency and now I'm 56ms away from any server located in Miami US, previously it used to be between 80-120ms. Cloudflare is 2ms away but I don't like it at all.

View attachment 241960
Btw, don't forget to change the DNS while doing malware test on the hub since Quad9 may block malicious hosts.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I have just switched to Quad9 for Windows and apps. UltraDNS does not seem to offer free version anymore, while DNS servers still work, it is only a matter of time till they shut them down or limit the usage. Not to mention the lack of DoH (for the upcoming Windows). Quad9 is for me faster than #1.

capture_06062020_201819.jpg

Quad9 supposedly supports ESNI, if you can trust this recent, but nameless comment. 😅

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I'm using 1.1.1.1 too. It's set up on router, though, without encryption. Router itself is really old, back from 2013, so it doesn't support DNS encryption. I'm instead using DoH via Chrome on PCs, and DoT on mobile devices via AdGuard.

Recently, 1.1.1.1 started to be a lot faster at my place. My ISP finally realized they could direct all Cloudflare traffic trough local internet exchange instead of Austria. Ping to 1.1.1.1 used to be around 10 ms, now it's 1 ms. Here's Google Public DNS for comparison.

Untitled.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I'm using 1.1.1.1 too. It's set up on router, though, without encryption. Router itself is really old, back from 2013, so it doesn't support DNS encryption. I'm instead using DoH via Chrome on PCs, and DoT on mobile devices via AdGuard.

Recently, 1.1.1.1 started to be a lot faster at my place. My ISP finally realized they could direct all Cloudflare traffic trough local internet exchange instead of Austria. Ping to 1.1.1.1 used to be around 10 ms, now it's 1 ms. Here's Google Public DNS for comparison.

View attachment 242306
Check ping of the dns server address shown here to be sure:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Check ping of the dns server address shown here to be sure:
Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_2.png
Try DnsJumper and DNS Benchmark there are information it depends on where you live

mine (US) OpenDNS fastest 72 millionsec then Google DNS 92 and Cloudflare 105
Screenshot_3.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.