• Sandboxing - Enabled
Periodic malware scanners
None
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave - AdGuard
Maintenance tools
SUMo, Secure Folders, SearchMyFiles, O&O ShutUp10, ConfigureDefender, SysHardener,
File and Photo backup
AOMEI Backupper
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Intel Core i3-7100
Intel HD Graphics 630
8GB DDR3 1197MHz
1TB 7200 RPM

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Other points related my security configuration:
  • SysHardener personalised tweaks applied
  • Multiple security related flags enabled in Brave
  • Freedome VPN permanently connected to safeguard against mandatory logging of browsing history by UK ISPs

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Added:
  • Windows Defender
Decided to re-enable Windows Defender; predominantly to enable Network Protection but also to re-evaluate its performance impact at near-default settings.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Your configuration is almost exactly like mine, when I use Windows Defender. I look forward to your thoughts after you use it for awhile.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Your configuration is almost exactly like mine, when I use Windows Defender. I look forward to your thoughts after you use it for awhile.
Once my VS license runs out I plan on resetting my PC, disabling Defender and going back to to using VS by itself.
I treasure the performance gain from not using Defender over the negligible protection afforded from using it.

Decided against making the changes I stated above. I may enact them at a future date but I won't be disabling Defender and shall be using VS Free for the time being.

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Once my VS license runs out I plan on resetting my PC, disabling Defender and going back to to using VS by itself.
I treasure the performance gain from not using Defender over the negligible protection afforded from using it.

Did you use Defender Control by any chance? and if so, do you find it reliable? :unsure:

Reactions: harlan4096

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Did you use Defender Control by any chance? and if so, do you find it reliable? :unsure:
I assume you mean ConfigureDefender?
I used it to turn on PUA and Network Protection and found it wholly reliable.

Edit: Looked up Defender Control; entirely different thing. Apologies.
No, I always disable Windows Defender via the registry. I assume this is how Defender Control disables WD too but I prefer to do it manually.

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.