Yes
My computer protection

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
My laptop specifications.
Later this year I plan to buy RAM

Your Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54-551F Gaming Notebook is a budget-friendly option that was designed to offer decent gaming and multitasking capabilities around its time of purchase in mid-2020. Here's an analysis of its components and potential for upgrades:

OS Installed: Windows 11 Home is the latest operating system from Microsoft, offering new features and optimizations over previous versions. It's good to see it running on this machine, assuming you've upgraded from the original OS.

CPU: The Intel Core i5-9300H is a quad-core processor with a base speed of 2.40 GHz and a turbo boost up to 4 GHz. While not the latest CPU, it should still handle general computing tasks and moderate gaming.

GPU: The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 3 GB GDDR5 is an entry-level gaming graphics card. It can run older games well but will struggle with newer titles at high settings, especially at the native 1080p resolution.

RAM: 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM is the bare minimum for gaming nowadays. Upgrading to 16 GB would provide a smoother experience, especially for multitasking and more demanding games.

Storage: The 512 GB SSD offers decent storage capacity and quick boot-up and load times for the OS and applications. If you need more space, consider using an external HDD or SSD.

PSU/Battery: The 4-cell Li-Ion battery with 55 Wh capacity and 135 W power supply is typical for notebooks of this class. Battery life will vary depending on usage, and you might have noticed a decrease in capacity due to wear over time.

Monitor: The 15.6" Full HD IPS display with ComfyView is suitable for gaming and general use, offering good color reproduction and viewing angles. The matte finish helps reduce glare.

Potential Upgrades and Considerations:

1. RAM Upgrade: Increasing the RAM to 16 GB or more would likely provide the most noticeable improvement in performance. Check the notebook's maximum supported RAM before purchasing.
  2. Battery Replacement: Given the age of the notebook, the battery may not hold as much charge as it used to. If you're experiencing significantly reduced battery life, consider replacing the battery.
  3. External GPU (eGPU): If the laptop supports Thunderbolt 3 (which would need to be confirmed as it's not listed), you could potentially connect an eGPU for improved gaming performance. However, this is a more costly and less portable solution.
  4. Cooling Pad: Gaming laptops can run hot, and improving cooling can help maintain performance. A cooling pad could be a good investment to enhance airflow, especially during extended gaming sessions.
  5. External Storage: If you're running out of space, an external HDD or SSD can provide additional storage for games and media.
  6. Maintenance: Regular cleaning of vents and fans to ensure optimal cooling, as well as a check-up for thermal paste degradation, can help maintain performance levels.
Given its age and the specifications, your Acer Nitro 5 is more suited to less demanding games and general use. For modern AAA gaming titles, you might need to consider a newer system with more up-to-date hardware.

Reactions: M4RT1NE2 and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.