Troubleshoot Asus Machine

lovehungryman

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2015
All I know it is a PCI express 3.0/2.0 slot, don't know what it means thou... What can I use this slot for or is there any use can I give to it? Thanks again!

Attachments

• 2017-02-03-0003.jpg
    2017-02-03-0003.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 425

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
The most common use is for a graphics card. But there are many other types of cards these days that use the PCI Express (PCIe) interface. These include sound cards, network interface cards, USB cards and more. You can use a PCIe 2.0 card in a PCIe 3.0 slot (or the other way around. It will just operate at the slower PCIe 2.0 speeds. That said, it is likely any new PCIe card you buy today will be 3.0.

Since you apparently don't have a graphics card now, that means you are using integrated graphics - that is, your graphics solution is integrated with your motherboard. And that's fine. But should you want to upgrade your graphics, you can insert a PCIe card (the most common available) and use that instead. The downside to adding a card is it often requires a more powerful power supply to support it.

Just don't confuse PCIe with PCI. PCIe and PCI and totally different card interfaces and are NOT compatible. PCI is a very old expansion card interface, but can still found today.

Upvote 0

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
You will put things like.. Graphics cards.. Wireless cards.. Ethernet expansions.

Think of them as the general purpose slots for many different types of cards you would need to load into our PC.

Generally if you hear 'card' when buying things for your home PC. It usually goes into this slot

Reactions: lovehungryman
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.