Question Asus router AiProtection and firewall- are they any good?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I‘ve just bought a new Asus router. It has something which Asus call “AiProtection” and is apparently powered by Trend Micro. Among the list of features is an Intrusion Prevention System plus cloud based scanning of URL’s etc. According to Asus this will help to make my home network more secure. However, I am always cynical of marketing hype!

Does anyone know if this AiProtection is any good? Will it really make my home network more secure?

And how might the firewall built into the router compare to a dedicated hardware firewall such as Firewalla or Pfsense?

I Walk MY Way

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
May 27, 2013
Yes, they are good. I used to have one But after a couple of years of service, it pretty much died.
So I went looking for something with better protection And I discovered netgear. Asus routers are OK in general and the AiProtection Does offer a reasonably good protection However, it is not foolproof. You might want to consider Using Custom firmware On your router, It adds to the stability of the device And the protection. You can cheque this out Home | Asuswrt-Merlin But only if you are technically enabled.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I have ASUS AX RT-55 WIFI 6 in mesh routers, and I turn off ASUS AI Protection and only use router's built in firewall. I simply don't trust trend micro privacy policy, AI protection slow down my internet speed from 500 to 430ish, and I find it doesn't protect me as much as software-based security and 3rd party DNS like NextDNS and Quad9. ASUS have no control over Trend Micro's privacy policy.

You can test it if you like it or not. Some people like it and some people don't.

"what can be seen by Trend Micro:

• Product information, such as MAC address, device ID
• Public IP address of the user’s gateway to the internet
• Mobile/PC environment
• Metadata from suspicious executable files
URLs, Domains and IP addresses of websites visited (which answers the question in the title of this article)
• Metadata of user/device managed by gateway Product
• Application behaviours
Personal information contained within email content or files to which Trend Micro is provided access
Behaviours of Product users
Information from suspicious email, including sender and receiver email address, and attachments
• Detected malicious file information
• Detected malicious network connection information
• Debug logs
• Network Architecture/Topology
• Screen capture of errors"

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
The protection is good, signature based. It has stopped log4j. It is good for notifying you of intrusions and blocking them. Phishing...it will block some of them. They will use your datapoints for their systems so take a look at their privacy policy. For free, it is great considering the notifications and trendmicros signatures/blocking is very good.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I simply don't trust trend micro privacy policy,

If you have a VPN installed locally on your PC / devices then presumably Trend Micro can't see the URL's you visit ?

IF I am correct about this, then privacy would be less of a concern. However, maybe it would also stop AiProtect from working?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
From 2023:

When patched no problem, but personal I would rather use another brand.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
The Asus routers have amazing wi-fi performance and AiProtection provides great blocking of malicious websites. The IPS also known as Tipping Point is so so, not Symantec level but does the job with common network attacks.

Trend Micro themselves run a zero day initiative.

The list of signatures is here:

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
I forgot to add to use Merlins' firmware. Adds many features, cleans up some issues also. If you use the aiprotect with maybe a secure dns provider (like nextdns/Controld) you would have some nice coverage. It will quickly detect mining activity on the network and quarantine the device and warn you via email, webhook whatever. I have seen it notify me when someone visited with a compromised android mobile in the past. LAN performance hasn't really been slowed down (over 1gbe). WAN might be (I don't care much about this). It has blocked log4j vulnerability attacks within a day or so of that going public. I no longer use this, but was always impressed...esp for free. It got better at the end. But you know what they say, when the product is free...

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
From 2023:

When patched no problem, but personal I would rather use another brand.
Also I’d add most of these issue have to do with remote access features. Which, for most people, never need to be turned on. ASUS actually had a better track record than most consumer vendors for supporting their routers for extended periods. Part of that was in response to a lawsuit many many years ago. But if you look at companies like Netgear they stop patching much sooner and have vulnerabilities quite often as well.

poopdookie

Level 2
Feb 11, 2021
Also I’d add most of these issue have to do with remote access features. Which, for most people, never need to be turned on. ASUS actually had a better track record than most consumer vendors for supporting their routers for extended periods. Part of that was in response to a lawsuit many many years ago. But if you look at companies like Netgear they stop patching much sooner and have vulnerabilities quite often as well.
I stopped dealing with Netgear a while ago over their firmware support...plus they charge bla bla. At the time Asus routers had the best overall performance with coverage and speed. They haven't been perfect with the privacy lawsuit and bad security in the past, but I have been impressed over the last few years with their routers. Also super stable (as long as you stay away from usb3 :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.