Troubleshoot "Audio service is not running" Error, Control Panel Does not Open, System Restore Doesn't Work

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
After noticing this, I looked up to see what would be a good fix. I was told to look up the audio on Computer Management and got error 0x800706cc when I tried to start the "Windows Audio" service. I tried to temporarily uninstall AVG because of what I was told would fix the issue, and noticed the control panel wouldn't even open. Along with this, a system restore was attempted and that did not work, either
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Most of what I did was listed above, I tried seeing who else had the issue and haven't found any solutions that would fix my personal problem.
I'm not sure exactly how to fix this issue, some help would be widely appreciated. I used this site to help get rid of the BuyNSave adware, and now this new problem has accidentally risen after getting rid of the extension. It seems like Windows 8 had removed the audio files, mistaking them for a virus, either after an update or after restarting the system to fix my BuyNSave issue. I would appreciate help as soon as possible. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so it can be bumped if need be.

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Although the issue will help with the audio, I still am unable to get to the control panel aside from right-clicking on the icon and selecting from what it has, along with a couple other sketchy things, such as the inability to do the system reset. Would a full system reset be worth it?

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Yes, it would return everything back to factory specs. Last year I did the same thing with this 1 year old computer I am still typing from.:p
Do you have a touch screen? If so, you can move the pointer all the way to the right/down. this will bring up "settings".

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Using the HP website to download the drivers at the moment, will update with results.
@Cats: No, I don't, but I do know how to find the settings. Where could I back up all my storage space and whatnot, though?

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Going to try to install the audio driver right now, will post results after it's over.
If I'm not back in time(although I probably will be), Merry Christmas!

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Alright, that didn't work... What the heck, man? Any other advice? I would've thought that would have at least fixed the audio

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Since you have already tried recovery manager, maybe a break is needed. That and a restart might help as both man and machine sometimes work noticeably better when approached from a slightly different angle.

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
I'm not sure what other options I have, though. Honestly, it might be best to reset to factory settings. I can save all my stuff in my dropbox for like a few minutes and then put it all back. It wouldn't be too hard. Should I do it?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi I just can't help myself:rolleyes:. If you had created a back up image of your OS with a 3rd party back up program, you could now use that to restore just like the day you created the image.;)
If nothing else , please read my signature. When will people learn????

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I'm not sure what other options I have, though. Honestly, it might be best to reset to factory settings. I can save all my stuff in my dropbox for like a few minutes and then put it all back. It wouldn't be too hard. Should I do it?
Do save files, pictures, and any irreplaceable passwords or other information. I'm not sure if you've discussed this yet, but if your computer came with recovery or installation discs they should allow you to reset back to original factory specs.:)

If you are able to get back to your systems original state, then would be a good time to set a retore point.

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
i have 3 audio processes running in task manager

hp beats and 2 IDT pc Audio processes can you see the processes from your audio driver in the task manager?

if not make sure the audio service in services is set to automatic to start on pc startup

can you restore back to factory original from within the HP recovery manager it might be the best way to fix this

it should not take that long to do with the HP recovery manager but you would lose any software that you installed

just backup your pic's and music first

there are videos on the HP website to help if you have not done it before

:)

James

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.