Troubleshoot "Audio service is not running" Error, Control Panel Does not Open, System Restore Doesn't Work

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
After noticing this, I looked up to see what would be a good fix. I was told to look up the audio on Computer Management and got error 0x800706cc when I tried to start the "Windows Audio" service. I tried to temporarily uninstall AVG because of what I was told would fix the issue, and noticed the control panel wouldn't even open. Along with this, a system restore was attempted and that did not work, either
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Most of what I did was listed above, I tried seeing who else had the issue and haven't found any solutions that would fix my personal problem.
I'm not sure exactly how to fix this issue, some help would be widely appreciated. I used this site to help get rid of the BuyNSave adware, and now this new problem has accidentally risen after getting rid of the extension. It seems like Windows 8 had removed the audio files, mistaking them for a virus, either after an update or after restarting the system to fix my BuyNSave issue. I would appreciate help as soon as possible. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so it can be bumped if need be.

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Update: After some research, it seems that the solution to my problem would have been to find the quarantined files from the audio and add them back in. However, I had been told to uninstall AVG as it had been giving me issues. So now I don't have the files to restore to my computer. Knowing this, what can I do to help restore these files back to the computer? Please help me as soon as possible, I really need help with this.

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
I've read through that, it answers my original question but it doesn't answer what to do if AVG has been uninstalled along with the audio files and how to fix that. The only possible solution I've been seeing so far is to copy the files from another Windows 8 system and put them in this computer, although I'm not 100% sure I want to try that yet. Another option might be to try setting the computer back to factory condition, I don't know.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
you can try and reinstall your Audio software and/or driver from within your computer if it
is OEM

most pc's like my HP computer has the HP recovery manager and from there it gives me the choice to

software program reinstallation

hardware driver reinstallation

Microsoft System Restore

System Recovery

other OEM pc should have something like it just look around your pc

:)

James

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
@donetao :
Yes, I've tried to do a system refresh, but it gets stuck at a screen that's loading and tries to prepare the actual system refresh, and the system restore straight-up doesn't work.

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
also from the control panel under Administrative tools open services and make sure the Audio service is set to Automatic

James

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
I couldn't find any drivers related to the audio in the recovery management. Would it be anywhere else?
Edit: just found an audio driver, installing it now. However, I still can't access the control panel.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Your last resort was my first consideration. As the article donetao shared, restoring to the time before you deleted the AV may solve your problem. I agree also with jim lin's advice.
Try this:
  1. Go to Control Panel
  2. Choose system & security
  3. ..then system
  4. <select> the shield (on the left) system protection
  5. There you will have the option to "undo system changes by reverting to an earlier restore point" :cool:

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
Hey donetao

no problem i'm taking a brake from World of Tanks

and i lurk around here alot

even though i don't sign-in

Happy holidays

James

Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Happy holidays, donetao.
Cats-4_Owners-2, My problem is that I wasn't able to do a system restore, because this is a new computer. and apparently the only restore point I have is the one I made after I uninstalled AVG.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I always have to make my speech. Once you get your problem ironed out, please create a back up image of your OS with a 3rd party program. My choice is Macrium Reflect, but there are several free programs out there. If you had a back up image of your OS, you could use it now to put your PC back just like it was the day you created the image. I keep preaching, but no one listens to old Okie!!

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.