Troubleshoot "Audio service is not running" Error, Control Panel Does not Open, System Restore Doesn't Work

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
After noticing this, I looked up to see what would be a good fix. I was told to look up the audio on Computer Management and got error 0x800706cc when I tried to start the "Windows Audio" service. I tried to temporarily uninstall AVG because of what I was told would fix the issue, and noticed the control panel wouldn't even open. Along with this, a system restore was attempted and that did not work, either
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Most of what I did was listed above, I tried seeing who else had the issue and haven't found any solutions that would fix my personal problem.
I'm not sure exactly how to fix this issue, some help would be widely appreciated. I used this site to help get rid of the BuyNSave adware, and now this new problem has accidentally risen after getting rid of the extension. It seems like Windows 8 had removed the audio files, mistaking them for a virus, either after an update or after restarting the system to fix my BuyNSave issue. I would appreciate help as soon as possible. I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so it can be bumped if need be.

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
...alright everyone, this is it. All systems are a go. About to set this puppy back to the way it came. This is the moment of truth. You know what I want for Christmas? I want a laptop with functioning sound! Now let's see how this works out. Merry Christmas, everyone!

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Get-er-Done!!

Attachments

• Capture510.jpg
    Capture510.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 412
Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
IT WAS A SUCCESS!
After the system restore, the first thing I did was create a restore point, lol. And then I re-installed AVG for protection. I'll be sure to be super careful when dealing with stuff online this time. Thanks everyone, it was a struggle, but all that matters is the end result! Happy holidays, merry Christmas! :)

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
very nice to hear :)

just remember to get all your Microsoft updates to keep your system up to date because they help
protect you from vulnerability's built in to Windows

there could be more than 100 of them after a restore but they are important to keep you safe

Have a Wonderful Holiday

:)

James

Reactions: JFDx97
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Great! IMHO there are much better Anti-Virus programs than AVG. If your satisfied with AVG and feel like it is the best program for you, then stay with it. I personally find it very bloated and a research hog. I always remove it from any seniors PC and replace it with Avast, Avira,MSE or Windows defender for W8.1. The first thing I hear from seniors is "Wow my PC is much faster now"
You seldom see AVG recommended here on MT and there's a reason!!

Reactions: JFDx97
Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
Thank you, I'll reconsider my options.
Update: Decided to go with Avast, a friend recommended it as well. Thanks everyone! Stay safe!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I think you made a good decision with Avast. These are my thoughts. I believe you need more that just a Anti-Virus program these days.
I run MSE and MBAM pro. I have had MBAM Pro for a long time. I bought the life time version for $24.95. No longer offered, but still a good buy at $24.95 for a year. If you can't afford MBAM Pro, my second choice is Ad-Adware free to run with Avast in real time! I'm not a trained malware fighter, nor do I know how to test these programs out. I just know what has worked for me and now works for me.;) I used Ad-Adware a very long time ago before I bought MBAM Pro. It was recommended by my ISP when I thought I was being attacked by malicious IP addresses. I believe Ad-Adware free has been improved a lot sense I used it a long time ago. I would also use WOT on all your browsers!
Surf safely and come back to MT and pass forward to others what you have learned here!:)
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
Combining our legendary anti-spyware with a powerful antivirus, Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ enhances them with real-time protection, download protection and continuously updated filters against malicious URLs, providing top-of-the-line anti-malware protection for the casual computer user.

Reactions: jamescv7
Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
I'd rather not get any paid-for AV right now, especially since this is really my first computer. Once I get more comfortable and I feel safe spending money on such things, I'll consider getting something else. For now, though, Avast! seems to be very helpful. Again, thanks everyone for all the support! I can really feel the love in this community. Happy holidays!

Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Ad-Adware is free and will run with Avast for a extra layer of protection for your new computer.
You will have no problems running AD-Adware with Avast in real time.
Yes there is love at MT and also some very smart members. Don't be a stranger. Share what you learned here with other MT members.
Happy Holidays

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JFDx97

Thread author
Verified
Dec 23, 2014
I'll think about it.
I'll try to stay active here, there's definitely something special about this place.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.