Advice Request Auslogics?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

mostly, they neither do anything noticeable nor optimize the PC
They still haven't come up with a software logic that will attach a second CPU :D

Joke aside, all these routines may have been useful ages ago, under Windows 95, today's OS and hardware no longer needs it.
It's possible that some minor annoyances can be repaired, such as your antivirus removed a threat incompletely and now you are getting a "file not found error". Or perhaps some invalid shortcuts may be deleted and clutter could be reduced.
Other than that, no additional benefit will be experienced and users should definitely not spend money on 🐍🪔.

In the cases when tune-up software is already included, such as Norton Utilities with NortonLifeLock auto-renewal or AVG TuneUP in AVG Ultimate Bundle, it might be worth giving it a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Speaking of SSD and trimming... my Windows 10 defrag is set to opitmize weekly only on my SSD c: drive and shows not run in 65 days!? (big shock,not!) Grrr... I can't find defragsvc in the system services either? I can search and run defrag the built in default tool and I manually went ahead and did an optimization. I also just did SFC /scannow and it did say corrupt files found :( and maybe that will fix it? Seems like everytime I check it though it has never run properly.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Speaking of SSD and trimming... my Windows 10 defrag is set to opitmize weekly only on my SSD c: drive and shows not run in 65 days!? (big shock,not!) Grrr... I can't find defragsvc in the system services either? I can search and run defrag the built in default tool and I manually went ahead and did an optimization. I also just did SFC /scannow and it did say corrupt files found :( and maybe that will fix it? Seems like everytime I check it though it has never run properly.
The native Disk Defrag doesn't run as a service, it runs as scheduled task.
To make sure it's enabled, in Windows 10 search field type "scheduled" and click on "Task Scheduler".
In the window that has appeared, expand "Microsoft", then expand "Windows" and you will see a folder called "Defrag". There you can control the scheduled task.
1613619996734.png

Once you double-click on the "ScheduledDefrag" task, under "trigger" you will be able to set the schedule and under "Conditions" you will be able to set additional parameters.
By default, it's set to run on AC power only, meaning if you are not plugged in when the time comes, the task will be skipped.

If the task is missing, you can download it from this link:
After you save the *.xml file, you can click on "Import Task" to add it.

1613620394430.png

In services, you should make sure "Task Scheduler" service is running.

Regarding the corrupted files, I recommend you run these 2 commands in the exact order (CMD/PowerShell should be ran with admin privileges):
1: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
2: sfc /scannow

Last edited by a moderator:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
The native Disk Defrag doesn't run as a service, it runs as scheduled task.
To make sure it's enabled, in Windows 10 search field type "scheduled" and click on "Task Scheduler".
In the window that has appeared, expand "Microsoft", then expand "Windows" and you will see a folder called "Defrag". There you can control the scheduled task.
In services, you should make sure "Task Scheduler" service is running.
Thanks much ! I am very familiar with scheduling tasks and use it often. I was under the impression that was not needed for the built in tool since it was set for ON for the c: drive in the program for weekly. Hmm. Windoze strikes again. I don't use it for my HDD spinners. I manually defrag them as need with Wincontig WinContig

BUT speaking of Auslogic... they have a "new" Defrag version 10 with new algorithms and new eingine that has support for "SSD optimization" and a scheduler. Any thoughts on this? Safe or stay away!?

settings.jpg

ssd.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

I've seen this "New Engine" that supports SSD optimization >5 years ago... The new algorithms will be for HDD optimization.
Since the trimming is an SSD firmware feature, I wouldn't really use this software as to me it doesn't matter who will call the Trim function.
I don't know what these percentages are, but I don't trust them too much. I've never ran any of these and my SSDs have always lasted for long.

• Thanks
Reactions: Venustus and Tutman

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
BUT speaking of Auslogic... they have a "new" Defrag version 10 with new algorithms and new eingine that has support for "SSD optimization" and a scheduler. Any thoughts on this? Safe or stay away!?
They've included SSD Optimization since 2012. It's not a new feature. It's safe to use, because it is safe to defrag SSDs, but I have no idea how well it performs compared to SSD defrag modes in O&O Defrag. I believe that the SSD defrag in O&O takes much less time to run than in Auslogics, but I do not know if that leads to better performance from defragging with Auslogics.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Thanks much! I found out my SSD manufacture makes a toolbox program for optimization and firmware upgrade also. It SAYS if/when I upgrade my firmware no data will be lost but..... I backup monthly anyways to be safe. (Scared!) LOL. And it does show an upgrade is available.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Thanks much! I found out my SSD manufacture makes a toolbox program for optimization and firmware upgrade also. It SAYS if/when I upgrade my firmware no data will be lost but..... I backup monthly anyways to be safe. (Scared!) LOL. And it does show an upgrade is available.
It does make sense to keep your firmware updated. Firmware updates will sometimes include important bug fixes and will in some cases increase performance. It is highly unlikely it will cause data loss, but of course it always makes sense to have a backup.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

It does make sense to keep your firmware updated. Firmware updates will sometimes include important bug fixes and will in some cases increase performance. It is highly unlikely it will cause data loss, but of course it always makes sense to have a backup.
Speaking of which, I just updated mine for the first time. This was useful info.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.