Advice Request Auslogics?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
The whole idea of registry cleaning is built on the assumption that Microsoft doesn't know their OS as well as these registry cleaner companies do and cannot take proper care of their own software. Even worse: Marketing these tools as performance boosting or helpful in any way is blatantly deceiving. While those cleaners remove entries that are not inherently necessary, many of the cleaned entries are there to improve performance for certain features (e.g. search indexing, recently accessed files), and their impact is often blown out of proportion. Users are made to feel like their system is dirty or in danger unless they use these tools.

Many Auslogics products are detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUP) by Antivirus scanners. E.g., Malwarebytes does and their criteria for the verdict PUP is posted here.

Actual leftovers from uninstalled programs can be removed with, e.g., Revo. But even those do not impact performance in a notable way.

Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

This is something I've said not one or twice in this forum.
These utilities may be safe and just because Malwarebytes flags them as PUP, doesn't mean they are, as PUP is very subjective. To me an antivirus marketed as "the ultimate malware crusher" and "next-gen smarter AV" when it doesn't utilise half of the industry-standard-technologies is also a PUP. Big one.

However though these utilities are not PUP, they will not bring any performance improvement under any circumstances. This goes for registry cleaners, disk cleaners, registry compressors, memory cleaners/compressors, etc. Very frequently the cleaned junk will be regenerated in a matter of hours or its removal just won't do any good.
The only technology that really shows some benefit in terms of performance improvement is AVG TuneUP's ability to put programs to sleep, which suspends start-up items, scheduled tasks, services and all program-related components, till you decide to launch it.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
This is something I've said not one or twice in this forum.
These utilities may be safe and just because Malwarebytes flags them as PUP, doesn't mean they are, as PUP is very subjective. To me an antivirus marketed as "the ultimate malware crusher" and "next-gen smarter AV" when it doesn't utilise half of the industry-standard-technologies is also a PUP. Big one.

However though these utilities are not PUP, they will not bring any performance improvement under any circumstances. This goes for registry cleaners, disk cleaners, registry compressors, memory cleaners/compressors, etc. Very frequently the cleaned junk will be regenerated in a matter of hours or its removal just won't do any good.
The only technology that really shows some benefit in terms of performance improvement is AVG TuneUP's ability to put programs to sleep, which suspends start-up items, scheduled tasks, services and all program-related components, till you decide to launch it.
You sure like a company that was caught selling user data and spying on their users aswell as using misleading/agressive advertising tactics and using malware to bundle their products...

Also AVG = Avast

Reactions: Cortex and enaph

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
These registry cleaners/optimizers are all snake oil, they do not do anything, if anything, they actually slow down and damage your system due to deleting required systme files.
They never delete system files. Although due to some weird bug, BleachBit did, the one time I used it.
You sure like a company that was caught selling user data and spying on their users aswell as using misleading/agressive advertising tactics
That's got no bearing on how well their products perform. I use AVG TuneUp and its Program Deactivator, does work as advertised.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
They never delete system files. Although due to some weird bug, BleachBit did, the one time I used it.

That's got no bearing on how well their products perform. I use AVG TuneUp and its Program Deactivator, does work as advertised.
Youre paying for products that dont do anything but damages your systen, and by system files I mean files still needed by programs, which includes the OS.

Reactions: Cortex

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
These registry cleaners/optimizers are all snake oil, they do not do anything, if anything, they actually slow down and damage your system due to deleting required systme files.
So do antiviruses, on occasions. One mistake does not make the product bad, it just makes you realize, that you should be always prepared and backup regularly.

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

You sure like a company that was caught selling user data and spying on their users aswell as using misleading/agressive advertising tactics and using malware to bundle their products...

Also AVG = Avast
As for the data selling I will tell you 2 things:

1. Avast is no charity. Are you receiving something for free or not? Is that "something " also state of the art? Well you should contribute towards its development. They ASKED all users whether they agree, everyone could've easily declined.

2. This is now a practice long gone and doesn't affect their products way of working or overall quality. The discussed product here is Avast Cleanup/AVG TuneUP and there have been no assumptions/accusations that the same has been used in the Jumpshot case.

Have a great day ahead and cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
The A/V companies have blurred the lines and brainwashed some folks and use scare tactics with the term PUP nowadays. The key words are "Potentially Unwanted"!
Now there are scam software out there, don't get me wrong. But just because an A/V flags it as such doesn't make it so. It is subjective and you can use your mind and own judgement. Because PUP does NOT always equal bad and doesn't mean VIRUS.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Youre paying for products that dont do anything but damages your systen, and by system files I mean files still needed by programs, which includes the OS.
They don't delete needed files. They only delete unneeded junk. But they can cause problems if they delete needed registry keys. However, it's important to note that there is some cleaning software that will never delete needed registry keys, making it safe to use. The idea that all cleaning/tuneup software is harmful is simply not true. The registry cleaners which have issues with false positives, meaning that they can delete needed registry keys, never intentionally identify valid registry keys as errors. They just are badly written and don't do a good enough job of working out if registry keys are needed or not.

Often cleaning/tuneup tools won't increase performance much, but sometimes they will and if you use safe ones, then they should never actually cause any problems.
Because PUP does NOT always equal bad and doesn't mean VIRUS.
Yes, the vast majority of PUPs are not malicious and should not be considered so. I use a number of so called PUPs.

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
I installed about 10 speedup utilities(Auslogic, AVG, iolo, Iobit, Systweak , Magix, Raxco,...) in VM, run all of them then restart the computer. It's still working. I don't know why people say it breaks computer, maybe something else breaks their computer but they blame the speedup software. I stopped using these type of softwares because it doesn't speed up my computer, not because it breaks my computer.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I don't know why people say it breaks computer, maybe something else breaks their computer but they blame the speedup software.
Perhaps they used one of the these types of programs, and it caused issues, so now they say they all are harmful. Also, because often these types of software are identified as PUPs or occasionally adware, people wrongly assume that they are malicious, because they don't understand what a PUP detection actually means.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
I installed about 10 speedup utilities(Auslogic, AVG, iolo, Iobit, Systweak , Magix, Raxco,...) in VM, run all of them then restart the computer. It's still working. I don't know why people say it breaks computer, maybe something else breaks their computer but they blame the speedup software. I stopped using these type of softwares because it doesn't speed up my computer, not because it breaks my computer.

Almost all of these have VM detection and work differently in a VM than on an actual system ;)
Edit: I am not saying they break the system though. That's nothing they would do on purpose, since they want to sell their software.
But using a VM to test PUP does not work well.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have been using registry cleaners since windows xp and 99% of the time, there have been no problems
The only time I had issue was when use jv16. It wrecked my desktop windows and made it unbootable. I confirmed it twice
there were some occasions that registry cleaners actually repair my PC, after I defragged the registry

mostly, they neither do anything noticeable nor optimize the PC
they are not useless but not very useful

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I used to use registry cleaners after uninstalling software. And sometimes they created issues that I discovered only a few weeks later....too late. Nowadays, I use a good uninstaller (Hibit) and complete the job with a file finder (WizFile). No more surprises.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.