Auto-Update Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
So after I installed ANY program I take the time to learn the in's and out's of it. I have tweaked all of Avast's settings but also stumbled upon the auto-update internal setting. By default it is set to update every 240 minutes (every 4 hours). That setting is just fine but myself I would rather have it check for updates sooner. Every hour is too much so I went with 120 minutes (every 2 hours). To get to this setting click on Settings\Updates\Details\Auto-Update Interval.

BTW..................This is just friendly advice and not something all must do.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Free update check frequency limit: 120 minutes (minimum)
Pro/IS update check frequency limit: 15 minutes (minimum)

You can set it below this value but it will remain doing the minimum allowed value.
So for example if you set Free Antivirus to 30 minutes it will continue checking for updates every 120 minutes. Same goes for Pro/IS. Setting it to ie 5 minutes will result in update check to be performed every 15 minutes.

Free version is set to 4 hours (240 minutes) by default and is in general fine. If you want you can set it to 120 minutes. For Pro/IS, setting it to 60 minutes is a healthy value. Update checks are quite frequent this way, yet they don't hammer update servers too much.
Reply #4 by RejZoR

There are usually ~1-3 updates per day, so it's not necessarily needed to increase the update frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.