AV‐Comparatives, AV‐TEST and Virus Bulletin comment on allegations of inappropriate behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
I'm just wondering, why are they not testing products downloaded from vendors sites?

The vendors would provide testers with specially licensed versions of their products so that they don't expire, unlike the trials on the vendor websites.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
That is stupid reason...
They can give key for free.

Reactions: jamescv7

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I'm just wondering, why are they not testing products downloaded from vendors sites?
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...gress-by-av-comparatives.375599/#post-2485570
"how you think that differences get discovered? we test several product versions (all downloaded from vendors website) and if the results differ, we note it in the report (please read last report for hints; was also in the news already in some part of the world). more details next days (we informed the other labs as well)."

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...by-av-comparatives.375599/page-4#post-2486271
" "submitted" does not mean "send"; it only mean they tell e.g. which version to use (e.g. free, AV, IS, TS, etc.) the products are downloaded from official websites like you guys do. "

Jimmy HendriX

Level 24
Verified
Well-known
Dec 25, 2014
I don't care about this, I will still use 360 Total Security. They have the best detection, yes, they have false positive, overall it is a good product. No, I am not a fangirl :mad:

True, like I, I will keep using Qihu 360

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Are the Wilders postings actually from representatives at AV comparatives?

True, like I, I will keep using Qihu 360

Makes sense to me even though I am not a Qihoo fan or anything.

I don't use it and honestly have never wanted to, have my own concerns, but this has no impact. Others here know way more about security software than I do, so I may be missing something. But, it seems like this is mostly a sportsmanship issue at worst.

I worry this whole thing is like saying the US Olympic target shooting team is cheating because they don't use the same guys as they do in war.

Reactions: Jimmy HendriX

dhul.karnain

Level 2
Verified
May 21, 2013
Qihoo's statement on the matter.

Qihoo and testing labs: Multiple engine technology explained
May 1, 2015 360TS
April 30th, Qihoo 360 received comments from its industry partners with allegation of inappropriate behaviour on the benchmarking processes in test labs. We regret that this behaviour has resulted into such comments from these labs, who we recognize as reference for security benchmarking. However, we hereby offer our perspective to the alleged comments.

The allegation highlights that the default configuration of the product available for the public, differs from the configuration used by the labs for testing. This configuration was explicitly declared upon submission of the tests, and was thereafter confirmed by the test labs.

In the public version, 3rd party engine is off by default, in the consideration that the majority of our users, are running on lower computing power. To satisfy lab conditions, the consideration of power constraint was therefore discarded. In any case, no alleged comment indicates that the level of protection from the product, is lower than the records achieved during the testing sessions.

Qihoo is committed to provide free security solutions, in order to convert security a commodity for all PC users. In addition, our product offers multiple engines, and regardless of the initial configuration, it is the user who has the complete freedom to choose how many of them should be activated at any time. It is with such understanding that AV-Test, one of the three testing labs involved, has stated that further investigation is ongoing, and will provide further updates on this topic.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
That is stupid reason...
They can give key for free.

I agree for that ;), since they have a enough powered lab test then using trial key is not a problem for such new installation, actually that's more fair enough. Back from basics and all are installed with their default settings or change accordng to their standard test. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.