AV / AM Recommendation

Rares

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 27, 2016
Hello. I found out this forum recently and started to search for a thread similiar to this. Well, I've been a computer user since I was little and got through a lot of virus infections. The funniest thing (now that I think of it) was when I had an antivirus(I literarly have no clue how it was called) that made different sounds depending on what virus has detected, and once it had found a Trojan, the specific sound being a horse "Ni-ha-ha", the volume was almost maximum, when the sound started playing, I got so scared that I started crying and ran away from the computer. I don't click on crappy links, download torrents and other things, I feel like I know a little bit about avoiding getting an infection. Now, I am planning a little party with some old friends and I wanted to download some games to play on splitscreen (piracy, ik it's not good, but I don't want to buy the games for a one time play, I don't have time anymore for PC in general), so I'm asking for some advice on what security options should I use for downloading these files and maybe in general. I would like something lightweight. As an on demand scanner, I have thought of Malwarebytes, but recently, a lot of people have been mentioning Zemana. I don't feel like paying for security options, so trials would work just fine I guess, or even freewares. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Rares: I really want to express my suggestion however, for more information you can create a thread on Security Configuration Wizard to post your current setup; then you can see different products in War Room about their pros and cons.

For overview:

Malwarebytes even though its an AV but the protection is still a long way to considered full blown. (passive detection)

So people recommend Zemana because of multi-engine detection alongside of Cloud analysis via 'Pandora Technology' against unknown threats.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.