http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/avc_aph_201308_en.pdf

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Here's my thoughts on phishing sites----if you can't tell if a site is legit or if it's a phishing url - you may be an idiot.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Exactly, and that's why you don't need AV software to check for Phishing pages.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Earth said:
Exactly, and that's why you don't need AV software to check for Phishing pages.
Just got an e-mail from my bank (supposedly) with a link to click for a new service they were offering, but the link didn't have a secure connection. I sent the e-mail w/link to my bank security people, about an hour later they wrote back and confirmed it was a phishing site. In the meantime, that phishing e-mail has automatically deleted itself from my mailbox.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I will have to agree with you guys, I never considered it to be the job of security products to detect phishing websites. There are plenty of browser add-ons that can do a much better job along with some common sense.

Most phishing sites are so obvious that someone would either have to be blind or just not paying attention to fall for them.

Thanks. :D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Avast proudly advertises that it protects against many various phishing attacks on it's front page.

Yet that result from Avast shows otherwise, a gap of even that size can allow alot of money and details to be stolen from victims.

Here's my thoughts on phishing sites----if you can't tell if a site is legit or if it's a phishing url - you may be an idiot.

One thing to be aware of is our old folks aren't as tech savvy as we are and those are usually the ones that would fall victim to this.
There is no way they could be fully aware of all these different phishing tactics and know how to spot and protect themselves from it unless you personally gave your old folks a long lesson about online security.
Simply installing internet security software to magically take care of threats is not enough. People need to be educated about these things.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning.”

Don't let them learn the hard way, help them out if you can. :)

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
MrXidus said:
Simply installing internet security software to magically take care of threats is not enough. People need to be educated about these things.

“A mistake is a crash-course in learning.”

Don't let them learn the hard way, help them out if you can. :)

Well, if you buy into the results of this test, you ought to buy them ESET, Kaspersky.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
KlIb6lw.png
[/img]
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/avc_phi_browser_201212_en.pdf
Opera uses Phishtank for it's phish filter.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
FreddyFreeloader said:
Well, if you buy into the results of this test, you ought to buy them ESET, Kaspersky.

I always take these tests with a grain of salt, I was figuratively speaking by the test of numbers shown if you were to buy into the results.

The real foolish thing to do would be buying them security software and leaving it to set and forget thinking that the software will do all the work providing 100% protection when it won't.

The best (and free) solution to this is knowledge to teach the non-tech savvy folks about online security as no software will ever do better than that.

Thanks.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Opera Fraud Protection offers the most extensive protection against phishing, doing a triple check of sites against phishing blacklists from Netcraft, PhishTank, and Haute Security.

Its main detection comes from Netcraft which has proven to be more effective on testing sites. PhishTank is now a part of OpenDNS and is included if you use OpenDNS as your service.

Netcraft Toolbar can be added to Chrome and Firefox. Netcraft's detection is already added to IE v.7 and above as a part of Microsoft Phishing Filter which is now called SmartScreen already included on Windows 8 to support all browsers.

I seriously doubt that SmartScreen was used on this test. It was probably disabled to only test the security products.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/freeantivirussoftware/tp/phishingfilter.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcraft

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For PC, I'll stick with what I said before. However for Tablets/Mobile devices, it may be useful as the browser doesn't really indicate much about the site you're visiting (except the Address bar).
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/mobile-phishing-attack-asks-for-users-government-ids/

It's recommended to Bookmark frequently visited sites, as suggested in the link above.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Or, you can use your banks app, just get it from the Google store, Apple store.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I just wonder if AV-Comparatives did test SmartScreen which uses technologies from Netcraft and Microsoft Malware Research Center, if it would have scored better then ESET. AV-Comparative never seem to test Windows default security components. If SmartScreen did do better then the rest then it would render these paid product not as effective.

In the past, I have read on several testing sites how Netcraft had the best phishing detection. http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/02/07/netcraft_toolbar_ranks_best_in_thirdparty_testing.html

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Potentially unsafe? Wouldn't your logins would be saved per loading the app. Making out that if you device was stolen someone has access to view-only your account details. I haven't used or bothered with a Bank app, because it's unsafe (IMO).

FreddyFreeloader said:

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Earth said:
Potentially unsafe? Wouldn't your logins would be saved per loading the app. Making out that if you device was stolen someone has access to view-only your account details. I haven't used or bothered with a Bank app, because it's unsafe (IMO).

FreddyFreeloader said:
You can password apps. I'll go one better, don't use a tablet or smart phone for any financial transactions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.