Av-comparatives May Performance and Real world test

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
I'm currently using Emsisoft Internet Security 9 and am very pleased with it! I never go on these kinda tests as most are paid for by the AV-Vendors.

Do we know if all tests e.g., AV-Comapratives, AV-Tests and VB100 can be relied upon, or do they receive back-handers??

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Maybe some companies have men inside AV-Comp's building. It would be an inside job. They would take the samples, so that the AV companies could add the signatures before the actual test begins.

Surtur

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 11, 2013
where is gdata anyway

The current versions of G Data security solutions require user decision in certain actions of the integrated behaviour blocker, and offer various options (including executing/allowing the file) in the case of suspicious behaviour. G Data has a different view of how “user-dependent” should be evaluated, and is therefore not participating in AV-Comparatives’ tests in 2014. G DATA indicated that they will re-join the public test-series in future.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
The current versions of G Data security solutions require user decision in certain actions of the integrated behaviour blocker, and offer various options (including executing/allowing the file) in the case of suspicious behaviour. G Data has a different view of how “user-dependent” should be evaluated, and is therefore not participating in AV-Comparatives’ tests in 2014. G DATA indicated that they will re-join the public test-series in future.

I'm so fed up with false positives, usually on so-called "PUPs/PUAs", that user decision sounds very good to me. Therefore as I said previously I take issue with the way AVC ranks them, actually putting programs with higher Compromised rates ahead of programs with bands of user detection but lower Compromised rates

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
I have seen a number of other tests where Panda did extremely well, so this doesn't seem so odd to me.

It confirms what other tests have been showing, that Emsisoft and Qihoo are earning the right to be considered top-of-the-line AVs. (I wish the concerns raised on this forum about mainland Chinese software companies could be alleviated.) It also confirms that McAfee, finishing below Baidu, is not worth paying for.

I strongly disagree with the way they ranked the lower half. I would regard Kingsoft's performance ahead of VIPRE. Kingsoft has a lot of "User Dependent" detections, but significantly less "Compromised."

Do you really trust a Chinese program? Really? I'd take the NSA over them. Links...

http://www.techinasia.com/massive-expose-blasts-qihoo-360-cancer-internet/

http://www.ibtimes.com/privacy-issu...des-free-antivirus-software-are-becoming-more

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This one? :p
PANDA
giphy.gif

I have no doubt, Panda's CEO is on the board of directors at AVC:p
Hahaha hahahaha!!!:p...Oh..That..is..ssoooo funny!!!:D

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
wait, we can't take everything that the media said as trustable, remember there are a lot of AV vendors that would like to kill qihoo, coz of his high detection and prevention, in almost any test (mine as well 3 tests) it has been doing an unbelievable job. so yes if it won't be stopped no av will be sold.
I would wait a little bit to see what will happen before using it

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013

Thanks for these articles. This is enough for me to distrust Qihoo for the foreseeable future. On a previous thread I was persuaded to leave Baidu's stuff alone. If people have informative links about other Chinese software companies, please go ahead and post them.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Thanks for these articles. This is enough for me to distrust Qihoo for the foreseeable future. On a previous thread I was persuaded to leave Baidu's stuff alone. If people have informative links about other Chinese software companies, please go ahead and post them.

You are welcome. If it's Chinese software I look the other way. Better safe than sorry the way I see it. I don't care what the detection rates are. I don't even want to visit a website in that country. I mean seriously, look at that government/country. Before some goof chimes in with any race baloney, this is simply a trust issue.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
wait, we can't take everything that the media said as trustable, remember there are a lot of AV vendors that would like to kill qihoo, coz of his high detection and prevention, in almost any test (mine as well 3 tests) it has been doing an unbelievable job. so yes if it won't be stopped no av will be sold.
I would wait a little bit to see what will happen before using it

So why haven't there ever been rumors about Kaspersky, BitDefender, Avira, FSecure, GData, and the many others out there? Trying to stop something because it may be good is a guess that doesn't hold water. It certainly holds less water than the media reports in this situation. What do you base your statement on?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
If it's Chinese software I look the other way.

Alas, I really like my Maxthon, IObit, Kingsoft, and Wise software. I may have other software that I don't know is mainland Chinese. But I want to know the truth. If they are dangerous I want to find out.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.