AV-Comparatives.org, bullying, censorship and financial deals with Anti Virus vendors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

Is it just me, or has every test i have seen done on Comodo via video, done extremely well, if not better then most paid products.. There are still a few kinks in the program being ironed out, but please,show me a suite that does not have a few themselves..
Comodo is considered a "small" company in the internet security field as of now, compared to the multi million dollar companies that have been doing this for a long time, as with any business, the smaller ones always have to fight and struggle to even achieve a stable footing with the bigger ones.. As stated before, it is mostly hearsay, one can not prove either way what is really being said, one can even go as far as saying, the email and or quotes were altered to make them look bad, who is to say, anything is possible, but the fact remains, Comodo provides excellent protection for free! Bashing the product here in this forum, over all this controversy is just as bad as what is going on...

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
@Maximus: uninstalled it just because the ceo is a big mouth?! This was a fast test of CIS ;-)

Did I say I did uninstall it? No I did not. Please refrain from comments unless you read my posts completely. Thanks. I clearly said "may".

Keep in mind that in my config thread I also said over this holiday I would give CIS a fair try. Well the weekend is over in 3 hours.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
surely cis is a great product, i use it myself, but the ceo having a big mouth like this and bashing av testing companies isn't good at all. Surely shows hows unprofessional the ceo is.
What would have been good is that they adapt the security suite in a way that it gets tested in the av test, and even if it doesn't get good result at all at first, it would be a good start. People learn from their mistake and keep improving.
Even through i know cis is a really good, and solid product, surely it has some false positives but its powerful now since the 5.8 release.
So here i have to agree with maximum the ceo isn't doing any good to the company..

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011

thewolfsmith72 said:
Is it just me, or has every test i have seen done on Comodo via video, done extremely well, if not better then most paid products.. There are still a few kinks in the program being ironed out, but please,show me a suite that does not have a few themselves..
Comodo is considered a "small" company in the internet security field as of now, compared to the multi million dollar companies that have been doing this for a long time, as with any business, the smaller ones always have to fight and struggle to even achieve a stable footing with the bigger ones.. As stated before, it is mostly hearsay, one can not prove either way what is really being said, one can even go as far as saying, the email and or quotes were altered to make them look bad, who is to say, anything is possible, but the fact remains, Comodo provides excellent protection for free! Bashing the product here in this forum, over all this controversy is just as bad as what is going on...

No one is exactly bashing Comodo as a product. Please take time to read the entire thread. This thread, and the article linked to it is about Comodo the company. NOT Comodo the product.

You dont see the CEO of Panda throwing a hissie fit cause of the last testing by AVC where Panda only got a 41%?

I

illumination

Maximus said:

thewolfsmith72 said:

No one is exactly bashing Comodo as a product. Please take time to read the entire thread. This thread, and the article linked to it is about Comodo the company. NOT Comodo the product.

It is directly related, what do you think is going to happen when everyone read this thread.. The Company "is" the product and vice versa...

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
No one is here bashing their product, they are upset with the way this event was publicly handled. Besides this is not the first time something like this has come up.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
No. Not in this instance. The article and this thread is about Melih and the Comodo team. Its not about CIS scoring poorly in some AVC test. CIS does not create drama. Melih created this drama as he always does. Like when he challenged Symatec. Or when he threw a fit at MRG. CIS has nothing to do with this. Poor morals of a company do.

Ibrad said:
No one is here bashing their product, they are upset with the way this event was publicly handled. Besides this is not the first time something like this has come up.

Thank you. A person who knows history.

I

illumination

Maximus said:
No. Not in this instance. The article and this thread is about Melih and the Comodo team. Its not about CIS scoring poorly in some AVC test. CIS does not create drama. Melih created this drama as he always does. Like when he challenged Symatec. Or when he threw a fit at MRG. CIS has nothing to do with this. Poor morals of a company do.

Ibrad said:

Thank you. A person who knows history.

I know of the history of Comodo myself, as stated in post that you just took out the "bashing" part from, i clearly stated this company is fighting to get in among the giants, yes, there will be controversy in doing so, as unlike these big giants, Comodo is "FREE".. Might present a threat, could be just me...

This quote, pretty much asks the questions all should consider...

HeffeD said:
They've previously tried to blackmail vendors who voice their opinions on other forums before? :s

Yes, this should have been taken care of privately. I don't really agree with either set of actions in this instance.

However, what exactly is the correct tactic if you are asked to alter your opinion or someone will release confidential information regarding your business dealings?

Surely simple criticism doesn't warrant engaging in blackmail?

So no, I don't think that Melih releasing confidential email was ideal, but I can see his point. You want me to go back on what I said or you'll release the confidential test results we didn't feel were worth an extra 500 Euros to have published on your website? Fine, confidentiality doesn't seem to mean much to you, so I'll release them anyway...

I guess we should ask ourselves what we would do if facing the same situation? Cave to blackmail, or stick to our principals?

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
The FREE aspect of Comodo needs to stop. Just cause they offer free products does not give any company the right to go around causing all this drama. Who needs this in this world of malware? No one. Do you see any other security company behaving like this? Nope. Do you honestly believe that since they charge for there products that keeps the CEO quiet? Not. A CEO represents a company. They should do this in the most professional way. None of that is accomplished by Melih. The problems is plain and simple.

Each and every time Comodo,the product performs poorly in a test the Comodo team, along with there CEO Melih throw a fit and make controversy all over the security world.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
So how is claiming that an AV testing organization is blackmailing them help them fight to get among the giants? How do threads like this (http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t46660.0.html;topicseen) help them?

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Ibrad said:
So how is claiming that an AV testing organization is blackmailing them help them fight to get among the giants? How do threads like this (http://forums.comodo.com/empty-t46660.0.html;topicseen) help them?

Kuods to that.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Remember when MRG found vulnerabilities in CIS? They brought it to there attention and did not bashing CIS in anyways shape or form. But instead of the Comodo team appreciating MRG for point this out they turned around and acting like 2 year olds. They made fun of MRG and there testing methods. Then Comodo had there poster child (Languy99) make a video against MRG. Is that how a professional company should behave? Not in my book.

I

illumination

Maximus said:
Ibrad said:

Kuods to that.

Looks like another thread that should have been done in private also, but when one side brings it to the public, the other has to answer.. You have two entities claiming these problems have happened, how do you personally know, who started what with this, was it done in defense?

And the "FREE" part is there for a reason, not just tossed out like a last minute life saver... It is and has been a problem in internet security, a lot of companies stand to lose if a smaller "FREE" company can compete if not do better then..

I guess it does not matter though, as it seems a lot of minds are made up based off of "HEARSAY"... I for one use CIS, and will continue to do so...

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
This is where you and I differ. I have been around the security world for over 10 years now. The Comodo drama is NOT hearsay. Its actually facts. The reality of Comodo as a product when tested by these companies is that it scores very poorly. But in the hands of an expert it scores very well.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-AV-Comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-Anti-Virus-vendors?pid=35423#pid35423

See my 6 examples and IBrad's one. Those are based on actually facts.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
No one is getting off topic HeffeD. The topic is about Comodo as a company and how they are always surrounded by drama. Melih brings this drama upon himself.

I

illumination

Maximus said:
This is where you and I differ. I have been around the security world for over 10 years now. The Comodo drama is NOT hearsay. Its actually facts. The reality of Comodo as a product when tested by these companies is that it scores very poorly. But in the hands of an expert it scores very well.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-AV-Comparatives-org-bullying-censorship-and-financial-deals-with-Anti-Virus-vendors?pid=35423#pid35423

See my 6 examples and IBrad's one. Those are based on actually facts.

First I will start with the definition of hearsay:
Hearsay is information gathered by one person from another person concerning some event, condition, or thing of which the first person had no direct experience.

fact is, none of us can say we know for sure what all is being said and done, especially behind closed doors..

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Maximus said:
No one is getting off topic HeffeD. The topic is about Comodo as a company and how they are always surrounded by drama. Melih brings this drama upon himself.

No, the topic is about: AV-Comparatives.org, bullying, censorship and financial deals with Anti Virus vendors...

If you feel the point of this topic is the place to badmouth a vendor, then you're either mistaken, or are posting at the wrong site. Trolling is not allowed here at MalwareTips, nor do we want to become known as the place to shred companies you do not agree with.

And no, I'm not saying this because I'm a moderator at Comodo. This type of behavior wouldn't fly in regards to any vendor...

So please get back on topic.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
I am sorry if I was bringing us off topic I was trying to make a point across not sound like I was bashing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.