Advice Request AV-Comparatives Performance Test - April 2018

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amico81

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

PDF -> Performance-Test April 2018 - AV-Comparatives

av.jpg

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Microsoft is exceptionally heavy.

I just reformatted my machine and left WD on there for a couple of days (lazy). My threadripper felt like a sluggish, intolerable beast.. The moment I disabled WD and installed SEPC, it felt like a rockstar.

K7? Sheesh..

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Microsoft is exceptionally heavy.

I just reformatted my machine and left WD on there for a couple of days (lazy). My threadripper felt like a sluggish, intolerable beast.. The moment I disabled WD and installed SEPC, it felt like a rockstar.

K7? Sheesh..

I ripped WD right out with a custom ISO I made through a toolkit. I'm only running SEPC now and I can hardly tell it is there.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I ripped WD right out with a custom ISO I made through a toolkit. I'm only running SEPC now and I can hardly tell it is there.

Good idea.. I used to do custom builds years ago but these days it seems like a pain to keep up. I just have some batch files and a tool or two to run to rip that trash out of my refreshes. I can't believe anyone can tolerate WD for how slow it makes even fast systems feel. (n)

Trend is strange. Most of the time it doesn't FEEL that heavy. But when it goes dumb, it goes heavy.. Random times it literally owns your computer, for extended periods.

D

Deleted member 65228

I like the direction Microsoft is going with features like Attack Surface Reduction (ASR) with the Windows Defender Exploit Guard (WDEG) but I am not a fan of much else in Windows Defender aside from SmartScreen for the time being... I had to disable it because of performance reduction experience in the past. The Enterprise technology seems more interesting though IMO.

K7 seems to have done well in this test but I don't have a real-world experience with them to form an opinion, nor do I know much about them. I'm happy for them anyway for scoring well against bigger contenders.

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Good idea.. I used to do custom builds years ago but these days it seems like a pain to keep up. I just have some batch files and a tool or two to run to rip that trash out of my refreshes. I can't believe anyone can tolerate WD for how slow it makes even fast systems feel. (n)

Trend is strange. Most of the time it doesn't FEEL that heavy. But when it goes dumb, it goes heavy.. Random times it literally owns your computer, for extended periods.

Yeah the toolkit I use was built in DOS so it is quite tedious to use but the end result is worth it.

You mention Trend which got me thinking. Now that I'm using SEPC it makes me ask if the previous 'light' AV's I've used were actually 'light' at all. :ROFLMAO:

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

K7 seems to have done well in this test but I don't have a real-world experience with them to form an opinion, nor do I know much about them. I'm happy for them anyway for scoring well against bigger contenders.

I just took a look at K7 in a VM. It looks really interesting, light as a feather no doubt. Antivirus Premium doesn't have HIPS but all of the other versions claim to have a full HIPS. The HIPS/Exploit section is called 'Carnivore' which claims to be a full HIPS, Exploit and Malicious traffic scanner for browser.

Some of the Youtube tests on K7 seem good. So what's the scoop on it? Stating it's light as a feather would be an understatement, it seems to make windows run faster.. :D

I pointed a SIEM to the VM this is on and cannot detect any telemetry outbound from it, and it checks updates over 443. Also there is an option to totally disable all logging in it.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
PCMark 10 is the worst and completely useless benchmark software. Why they don't use 3DMark Free which is 2x better than PCMark 10?

Bitdefender is lighter than Windows Defender and Kaspersky?! I don't buy it. Bitdefender Free is not even compatible with Build 1803, and Bitdefender supports don't support the free version at all, and Bitdefender forum is dead. It will take ages for Bitdefender to answer your questions.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A new research conducted by AV-Comparatives determined the security solutions with the biggest impact on system performance in Windows 10.
The test was performed on a Lenovo G50 powered by an Intel Core i3 chip, 4GB RAM, and HDD, running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and all applications installed with the default settings. AV-Comparatives ran a series of tasks like file copying, archiving and unarchiving, installing and remove apps, launching programs, downloading files, browsing websites, and PC Mark 10 benchmarks.

The most unexpected performance was recorded when testing Microsoft’s Windows Defender, which comes pre-installed in Windows 10.
Source: These Antivirus Apps Slow Down Windows 10

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
I dont know what system they test on, but here on both my i3 machines with 8GB RAM and Samsung EVO SSD, Trend Micro is one of the smoothest AV i tested. F-Secure and G Data take alot more performance.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
AV -C ==> (n):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:,,Never your results coincide with REAL WORLD
Symantec,Trend micro are lighter as feather..Symantec is almost Non existent in the system
Eset Bull guard Symantec (Lightest) Trend ==> Lighter av's
I think Luke file walker forgot to give them their daily QUOTA. Avira pushed to bottom half

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
AV -C ==> (n):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:,,Never your results coincide with REAL WORLD
Symantec,Trend micro are lighter as feather..Symantec is almost Non existent in the system
Eset Bull guard Symantec (Lightest) Trend ==> Lighter av's
I think Luke file walker forgot to give them their daily QUOTA. Avira pushed to bottom half
You are right, Norton, Trend are so light. Dont feel this way about Bullguard ( dont like it )

Reactions: JB007 and Weebarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.