Advice Request AV-Comparatives Performance Test - April 2018

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

My history of AV's I've used over the years is quite small. But Avira was in it for the long haul with me. I think I ran that product from 2004-2012 or something and was always happy with it.

No bloat, no spying, it just worked and was very lightweight. They've really fallen and I can't think of a more useless product right now IMO..

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

My history of AV's I've used over the years is quite small. But Avira was in it for the long haul with me. I think I ran that product from 2004-2012 or something and was always happy with it.

No bloat, no spying, it just worked and was very lightweight. They've really fallen and I can't think of a more useless product right now IMO..
Have you tried any Avira Business product? Avira AV for Endpoint looks interesting Avira Business Antivirus and Security Solutions

They claim that their AI/ML NightVision reach 99.9% detection rates Avira Protection Cloud | Avira

I am neutral to Avira products, even tho I sometimes test/check in VM what's new in their AV Pro BETA version, I am not that much worried about Avira Launcher since there is no ads for me. The only thing that worries me is that they focus on adding new apps e.g. Privacy Pal (which is kinda ok surprisingly in first release stage), rather than focusing on improving/adding new malware detection modules, also the new UI is still not fully themed, imo it should have stayed in beta untill all graphical job is done, so, yeah. :cautious:

All 3rd party AV's are garbage these days..
I don't agree on that. Joe/my mom still need 3th party AV. Advanced and above users don't need. Windows Defender slows down many systems, but it's the most, well best integrated AV out of the box still. Imo Windows Defender can be used alone on inexperienced users system together with SysHardener/OSArmor. Experienced user still would be just fine with the WD.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
Have you tried any Avira Business product? Avira AV for Endpoint looks interesting Avira Business Antivirus and Security Solutions

They claim that their AI/ML NightVision reach 99.9% detection rates Avira Protection Cloud | Avira

I am neutral to Avira products, even tho I sometimes test/check in VM what's new in their AV Pro BETA version, I am not that much worried about Avira Launcher since there is no ads for me. The only thing that worries me is that they focus on adding new apps e.g. Privacy Pal (which is kinda ok surprisingly in first release stage), rather than focusing on improving/adding new malware detection modules, also the new UI is still not fully themed, imo it should have stayed in beta untill all graphical job is done, so, yeah. :cautious:

I don't agree on that. Joe/my mom still need 3th party AV. Advanced and above users don't need. Windows Defender slows down many systems, but it's the most, well best integrated AV out of the box still. Imo Windows Defender can be used alone on inexperienced users system together with SysHardener/OSArmor. Experienced user still would be just fine with the WD.
I agree with you on AVIRA..but their night vision, APC, SAVAPI and their fancy human analytics and AI algorithms names seem to be mis leading users with all the fancy names and fooling their users to gain their strength .
In simple words it seems to me a meta defender engine to where APC uploads and checks for the hash.In most of the cases 99% one or other engine catches it since we have advanced end point solutions like Crowd strike, End game (Very good)
Palo Alto Networks & Sentinel one. These are enough to have a hash first than any corporate AV.

They even don't have any advanced disinfection technologies or Roll back techniques. Advanced AV vendors still behind their BB ..then how Avira can go that far. Dont forget their Avira ProACtiv disaster which crippled millions of users worldwide. From then on they are silent on Pro Activ.
Where are these technologies at the time of Ransomware outbreak. To my knowledge it crippled to almost all of them since none of the engines detected them before.
Avira haven't succeded in fooling the users. Signatures = Avira.
Cylance, Palo alto, Endgame uses these AI methodology to maximum. They are successful

Last edited:
Reactions: JB007 and Weebarra

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Eset & Kaspersky almost at same d place...!!! Really?? Am I missing something? I once tried eset but opt in for kaspersky, that's another story. But eset is much lighter compared to kaspersky or at least used to be. Has kaspersky evolved that much or eset degraded? If you set real time scanning mode as smart mode in kaspersky & then open a folder full of .exe, it will take a while & if by chance there is a big .exe then you are in for a long show. I can't recall that eset used to behave in the same way.
But a real kick in the teeth is Trend Micro. How come trend micro??

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
All 3rd party AV's are garbage these days.. just use Defender and be done with it.
Quoting @ShiningDog from other forum. Adding exclusions to WD is as easy as adding them to Windows Firewall. :rolleyes:
Exclusion in WD can be easily set with an elevated cmd, so that makes it super easy to damage any pc.
WMIC /NAMESPACE:\\root\Microsoft\Windows\Defender PATH MSFT_MpPreference call Add ExclusionPath="xxxxxx

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
my WD was heavy on my PC. MY BITdefender TS is taking 259mb of RAMM right now. i'm not scanning.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

As I said, I am always shocked at how utterly heavy WD is after a fresh format or refresh. I just popped my machine to 1803 and did the requisite refresh after that. At first I thought my machine took a huge performance hit from 1803, then I realized WD was on and running.

Begone!

Reactions: TairikuOkami

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
As I said, I am always shocked at how utterly heavy WD is after a fresh format or refresh. I just popped my machine to 1803 and did the requisite refresh after that. At first I thought my machine took a huge performance hit from 1803, then I realized WD was on and running.

Begone!

Does WD has option to optimize its real-time protection??? Such as on-access scan or something like that...

Reactions: MeltdownEnemy

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
my WD was heavy on my PC. MY BITdefender TS is taking 259mb of RAMM right now. i'm not scanning.

I once tried Bitdefender TS (giveaway) on my main machine. tbh bitdefender has great sig. but their program has some serious problems. At that time many security module used to get auto-disabled.I don't know how it's at this moment as a security program. BD also used to give me BSOD if I would try to scan with Hitman pro in guest os inside vmware. Their program is unstable as hell. Every now & then you will face some performance related issues.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Does WD has option to optimize its real-time protection??? Such as on-access scan or something like that...

One of the more knowledgeable WD guys can chime in.

I just uninstall it ASAP. Then go into group policy and kill it down to the core along with disabling things like Xbox, Cortana, Multi-homed DNS, One Drive Integration, etc. After which Win10 runs about 100% better. Then I install my third party security and lockdowns.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
One of the more knowledgeable WD guys can chime in.

I just uninstall it ASAP. Then go into group policy and kill it down to the core along with disabling things like Xbox, Cortana, Multi-homed DNS, One Drive Integration, etc. After which Win10 runs about 100% better. Then I install my third party security and lockdowns.
I can feel your pain & anguish.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I dont know what system they test on, but here on both my i3 machines with 8GB RAM and Samsung EVO SSD, Trend Micro is one of the smoothest AV i tested. F-Secure and G Data take alot more performance.
Literally just stated in the post above yours. Your SSD has advantages over HDD users.
"Lenovo G50 powered by an Intel Core i3 chip, 4GB RAM, and HDD, running Windows 10 Fall Creators Update"

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I don't know why WD always seems to get hate about its performance.

Every PC I use it on it is always light, user friendly, with no nags. Disk I/O, CPU performance is great (I don't pay attention to RAM usage). Systems are snappy with no unusual issues such as popups, registration requirements, complex and unnecessary questions about issues, no continual license registration prompts, no news/offers/etc popups. It just works. Perfect for most of the general population and with Windows 10, prob most home users.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
YES SUMTINGWONG, it gets slower with the passage of time, although the new microsoft experiments seem to work well but not in the performance speed.

I don't like Mr.windows.defender because he's a friend of Marcus, Andrew, and George.

Who is Marcus, Andrew, and George?
I don't know why WD always seems to get hate about its performance.

Every PC I use it on it is always light, user friendly, with no nags. Disk I/O, CPU performance is great (I don't pay attention to RAM usage). Systems are snappy with no unusual issues such as popups, registration requirements, complex and unnecessary questions about issues, no continual license registration prompts, no news/offers/etc popups. It just works. Perfect for most of the general population and with Windows 10, prob most home users.

Windows Defender is taking more than a day to full scan my gaming rig. Let's imagine how long it will take to full scan work PC.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.