Advice Request AV-Comparatives Performance Test - April 2018

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

I like the direction Microsoft is going with features like Attack Surface Reduction (ASR) with the Windows Defender Exploit Guard (WDEG) but I am not a fan of much else in Windows Defender aside from SmartScreen for the time being... I had to disable it because of performance reduction experience in the past. The Enterprise technology seems more interesting though IMO.

Pretty soon Microsoft will say "AV is dead. Security softs are dead. Users do not need to install any other security soft on Windows 10. Windows 10 is the most secure OS and provides you with all the security you need."

What a pathetic pack of lies. It's Windows. And despite everyone's best efforts, the only REAL protection on Windows is to block by default, disable trusted Windows processes, disable a lot of (unneeded) Windows features and avoid installing a slew of widely-exploited programs.

Smart moves yield smart results. But people don't want smart, they want default-allow (which is ALWAYS behind the 8 Ball) - and Microsoft and just about everybody else is ready to cater to such folks.

Remember what Windows actually is... it is nothing but a conduit to get you to spend money on Microsoft products and services. The Enterprise Windows end is all about subscription sales... including Windows Defender APT - which is another joke all unto itself.

Microsoft has always been a dismal failure in the security soft business and that hasn't changed despite what people on these forums think and attempt to promote. What they promote is utter BS. There's a lot of Windows Defender fanboyism and not a whole lot of understanding.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
I don't know why WD always seems to get hate about its performance.

Every PC I use it on it is always light, user friendly, with no nags. Disk I/O, CPU performance is great (I don't pay attention to RAM usage). Systems are snappy with no unusual issues such as popups, registration requirements, complex and unnecessary questions about issues, no continual license registration prompts, no news/offers/etc popups. It just works. Perfect for most of the general population and with Windows 10, prob most home users.
why are you using kaspersky?

a lot of knowledgeable people and youtube video's say it is not enough. when someone defends it, i think they are working for micro$oft.

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015

a lot of knowledgeable people and youtube video's say it is not enough. when someone defends it, i think they are working for micro$oft.

There was a time when people used to recommend MSE. Now it's WD. Lets see how long this wave remains in the mainstream.
Some sort of WD fanboyism is being developed.

Reactions: Brie

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015

Whoa, easy up now guys. I didn't know WD was such a touchy subject. I was only praising the PERFORMANCE of Windows Defenders abilities that I'VE noticed on hundreds of installs. Never said anything about it being the greatest thing on planet earth....

To answer your question, I use what works for me. I don't fanboi stuff like Lockdown said...even though it may have not been directed to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pelocha

Brie

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 1, 2018
there was a deal for bitdefender total security for $15.05 on this site. sounds like a good deal.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.