AV-Comparatives AV-Comparatives Performance Test - October 2023

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

It gives a nice insight , but Microsoft always comes out slow. Mainly because of its slow archiving results.

My personal experience is different to these AV-C tests. Microsoft Defender always had the lowest application launch delay (timed with AppTimer) and was usually 45 seconds to a minute faster with Macrium Reflect image backups compared to Bitdefender free, Kaspersky Free, Panda Free, Avira free or Avast free of F-secure paid (from my ISP) or MalwareBytes paid (I have a lifetime license).

I am without AV now :)

Criadores

Level 1
Jan 12, 2020
It gives a nice insight , but Microsoft always comes out slow. Mainly because of its slow archiving results.

My personal experience is different to these AV-C tests. Microsoft Defender always had the lowest application launch delay (timed with AppTimer) and was usually 45 seconds to a minute faster with Macrium Reflect image backups compared to Bitdefender free, Kaspersky Free, Panda Free, Avira free or Avast free of F-secure paid (from my ISP) or MalwareBytes paid (I have a lifetime license).

I am without AV now :)
How do you manage to stay without AV?

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

How do you manage to stay without AV?
Using Linux Mint Cinnamon now. My desktop died an I ordered new mobo+cpu+ram, but cpu lever on mobo was missing. Send it back and bought a very cheap (old second hand) mobo+cpu+ram as temporary solution, which does not run Windows11. The temporary solution works so well with Linux that I am staying on it.

On Linux the UAC is stronger and one can add a HIPS and easily run rich-content and internet facing apps in sandboxes.

The only free AV on Linux is ClamAV and has low detection rates, that is why I am without AV on desktop (but am using BTL and VT extensions in Chrome browser).

Last edited by a moderator:

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
I have to pay tribute to Kaspersky. (y)

After scanning 2 disks, f-secure found 4 files it flagged as dangerous, but it was unable to remove them. I tried with NPE and it flagged the same files but failed to remove them, then I ran kvrt, it found the same files and removed them. My alternative was to remove them manually, but I wanted to see who could do it and Kaspersky won this time.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023

After scanning 2 disks, f-secure found 4 files it flagged as dangerous, but it was unable to remove them. I tried with NPE and it flagged the same files but failed to remove them, then I ran kvrt, it found the same files and removed them. My alternative was to remove them manually, but I wanted to see who could do it and Kaspersky won this time.
My favorite 2nd opinion scan tool. (running F-Secure on my devices).

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021

Same files on another disk, Bitdefender solved this just as well as Kaspersky:)(y)

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you read the above report it is in line with your experience. Apps launches with Defender were "Very fast" (their highest rating), also file copying was rated "Very fast".

only reason they didn't got advanced+ rating is due to slow down during installing application and archiving/unarchiving.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.