AV-Comparatives performance test ( October)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
on my gaming system:

i7 3770k
16gb ram
840 samsung evo ssd
win 10 pro Version 1709
Games via Origin and Steam

i can say for me: Panda IS, Eset Nod32, Avast free and Bullguard IS are very light
i can say for me: Gdata AV and Avira free are ok
i can say for me: Bitdefender IS, Kaspersky IS, Emsisoft Antimalware and Win Defender are heavy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
On AV-Test,
ESET is Not that great in terms of performance.
Based on testing many different antiviruses, I can say that the performance tests from AV-Comparatives (in particular the two most recent performance tests) give a much more accurate indication of performance. Personally I find v10 of ESET products to be exceptionally light, and among the lightest security products there are. I also find them be to considerably lighter than older versions, even v2.x releases. I found v2.x of ESET products, which are known for being light, too heavy for my liking on some computers.

Read what the test report is actually saying was tested.

If an AV is working properly, then a user should not be able to see a significant difference between any of them. They do not measure increases in system restart times. Bitdefender, for example, always increases system restart times but it has no affect on system boot time.

If an AV is causing a noticeable slowdown or system impact, then a lot of times that is due to conflicts and other hard to diagnose problems between the AV and what is installed on the user system.

So, once again, the comments and discussion of these results on this forum:

Reaction GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If an AV is working properly, then a user should not be able to see a significant difference between any of them.
That has definitely not been my experience using many different antiviruses on many different computers. I sometimes see huge differences in performance between different antiviruses.
If an AV is causing a noticeable slowdown or system impact, then a lot of times that is due to conflicts and other hard to diagnose problems between the AV and what is installed on the user system.
There can be performance issues due to conflicts or leftovers from a previous antivirus, due its uninstaller not removing it cleanly. However, I find that many antiviruses cause very noticeable drops in performance, from time to time or in some cases always, due to excessive CPU or disk use. I guess on computers with very fast CPUs then there probably won't be much difference from one antivirus to the next. But, for example, most of my computers only have Core 2 Duo CPUs, and on them, I see a very big difference in performance between different products, with some antivirus making my computers run very slowly. My fastest laptop only has a second generation i5 CPU.

That has definitely not been my experience using many different antiviruses on many different computers. I sometimes see huge differences in performance between different antiviruses.

There can be performance issues due to conflicts or leftovers from a previous antivirus, due its uninstaller not removing it cleanly. However, I find that many antiviruses cause very noticeable drops in performance, from time to time or in some cases always, due to excessive CPU or disk use. I guess on computers with very fast CPUs then there probably won't be much difference from one antivirus to the next. But, for example, most of my computers only have Core 2 Duo CPUs, and on them, I see a very big difference in performance between different products, with some antivirus making my computers run very slowly. My fastest laptop only has a second generation i5 CPU.

That's my point. The test results only pertain to\are valid for a single OS on a single type of hardware.

And the security soft vendors do not guarantee the same performance across all OSes\hardware - especially old hardware.

The average reader has no clue about what AV lab test results are saying or mean.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
What were they smoking when they ranked F-Secure so high? Yes, it can be very light-weight (especially Ultralight Antivirus), but it slows down my browser more than Windows Defender. The entire scoring scale is questionable to me. I don't think that WD is 10x worse than F-Secure. Not even close.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
What were they smoking when they ranked F-Secure so high? Yes, it can be very light-weight (especially Ultralight Antivirus), but it slows down my browser more than Windows Defender. The entire scoring scale is questionable to me. I don't think that WD is 10x worse than F-Secure. Not even close.
Again, not defending, but I have the opposite feel. I myself feel that Avast for example slows my browsing down a bit more than F-Secure... So go figure.
As has been said numerous times in this topic, performance varies between computer configurations.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
avast has horrible optimization for Web Shield and Behavior Shield + other components they install in the default settings during installation
Web shield causes high CPU usage during web surfing and especially downloading. It also decreases the internet speed as many users have complaint. Some changes in the settings can improve this but still, not as well optimized as other AVs
Behavior shield causes constant CPU usage, although it's small, not super high but quite annoying -> again, not as optimized as kaspersky, emsisoft or BD, for example, they usually settle at 0% while we're during nothing

I deeply understand why many avast users are having issues with performance because it's real and they don't know how to fix them

therefore, I always disable them. Just use both of them for my family's PCs with intense tweaking to reduce their resource usage

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.