AV-Comparatives - Real world AV Test for March 2018

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

We defend what security solutions we like personally, it's not like everyone is comfortable using what we think is best for them from our perspective and experience. Security combos varies and so does each individual PC user needs.

D

Deleted member 178

Oh, he didn't get infected, he 'almost' did and the vector was actually when he took the gaming rig to a lan party, outside of the network.
i thought you would secure his rig better than that...network security is meaningless if the workstation is weak.

Sorry your career was so incredibly short lived.
Not a career, a contract. anyway pure marketing/sales isn't my favorite field; so no big deal to me.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I've always recommended people run FortiClient with VoodooShield. (this combo is actually a powerful pairing in our tests, try that combo in the hub) I suppose one could run it alone because it's sigs are decent, it has anti-exploit, and the web filtration is good. But I wouldn't suggest it for clickers or newbs in that configuration.

FortiClient is designed specifically as a managed, controlled endpoint solution tied to specific pieces of hardware as part of a protection fabric. If any of those pieces are missing the product is degraded and the fabric is compromised. Which is why I've always encouraged those that run it pair it with something like VoodooShield to seal up any gaps in it.

FortiClient alone, with average-joe's or clickers will universally end up with discouraging results. It's just not going to go well. It's missing too many pieces of the puzzle, there is no fabric, it's not backed by the hardware that's supposed to be backing it. I'd actually expect poor results in the hub given a solo configuration. Remember, even AVC (where Fortinet scores pretty well) has a FortiGate Controller for the Client, they are still missing a few pieces of the puzzle, but just having the gate there improves results quite nicely.

FortiClient Solo (no hardware, no adjunct support) = RISKY unless you are somewhat savvy. (but even I wouldn't roll with this config)
FortiClient w/Hardware, EMS, Sandbox = Incredibly strong.
FortiClient w/VoodooShield = What I personally believe is one of the strongest free setup without system drag.
combining with VS is kind of cheating tho, when VS alone will handle all the threats.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Exactly. WD Tweaked + SUA+SRP+SS+UAC+Voodooshield = Solid!
you don't need WD at all, you need a good Web sig(Forticlient would come in handy if the god damn UI would function properly) and you're good to go.

guys, guys, you went personal there, no need to jump on necks and make passive aggressive insults :D
Umbra, stuff you do and use are not viable to 99% of the people either, so it's not that different from Forticlient requiring hardware.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
you don't need WD at all, you need a good Web sig(Forticlient would come in handy if the god damn UI would function properly) and you're good to go.

guys, guys, you went personal there, no need to jump on necks and make passive aggressive insults :D
Umbra, stuff you do and use are not viable to 99% of the people either, so it's not that different from Forticlient requiring hardware.
I think WD is amazing these days especially when used with all the extra's.

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
to be fair FSecure's Deepguard always caused FPs, it's too aggressive, effective, but too aggressive.
it's not a bad AV tho.
It just does not have good whitelist to back it up. Many updated programs are blocked because vendor/digital signature is not in the whitelist.
But I would say FPs are rather rare for me. I'm yet to see signatures/heuristics FPs :)

D

Deleted member 178

That is different, every piece of software i use can offer strong security by itself alone. They don't need another one to be effective.
Take Appguard, ERP, OSA, Sandboxie or ReHIPS; each one alone offer strong protection, and they are not a suite.
No need forti-this or forti-that , it is why i said Forti is useless for people here.

Reactions: Tiny and harlan4096

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
That is different, every piece of software i use can offer strong security by itself alone. They don't need another one to be effective.
Take Appguard, ERP, OSA, Sandboxie or ReHIPS; each one alone offer strong protection. no need forti-this or forti-that , it is why i said Forti is useless for people here.
Yea i can't really disagree with those softwares separately being powerful.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Tiny
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

i thought you would secure his rig better than that...network security is meaningless if the workstation is weak.

Network security is everything, regardless of the workstation. You see, network security 'assumes' any endpoint would be infected or potentially compromised and a properly secured network assumes such.

So in this case, it was planned out. His access is restricted to an orange zone on it's own subnet or vlan, with it's own VDOM. The VDOM ensures his own little world is running on his own little virtualized Fortigate appliance. So even if by some miracle, his Fortigate was compromised, it would still be isolated from everything else. He's an adult, he can use his brain and install whatever he wants. I just make sure it cannot impact me or the rest of the network. (y)

D

Deleted member 178

Yea i can't really disagree with those softwares separately being powerful.
now combine them ;)

He's an adult, he can use his brain and install whatever he wants. I just make sure it cannot impact me or the rest of the network. (y)
This is where we are different, i decided that people not educated in cybersecurity must have their workstation locked, they just get the minimum vital needed for their personal usage.
I prevent them to mess up their system, i have no time to fix or cure.
There is no such thing as happy clickers or install-holics in my world.

Reactions: Tiny and mekelek
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

they just get the minimum vital needed for their personal usage.
I prevent them to mess up their system, i have no time to fix or cure.
There is no such thing as happy clickers or install-holics in my world.

There is a fine line between secure and usable for Windows IMO.

He's a Helpdesk L1 Technician where I work and studying engineering. It's a good experience for him. If I handed him a fully secure, impregnable system he might not learn some valuable lessons. Since he's isolated, I am enjoying watching him progress in his awareness.

I don't touch systems outside of work and my home though, so I am with you there. I have zero time or desire to even lay a hand on my relatives/inlaws systems. These days, I point them to a Chromebook and never hear back from them. None of them need Windows or the theater around the results of their clicking. ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.