Advice Request Avast 2017 free configuration

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 59295
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Beautiful configurations already shared above. Let me share my settings on home PC as well.
I've my own reasons to allow or avoid 'test all files', 'follow links', 'test whole files' etc. in different scan modes. It will definitely vary by user requirements and scenarios.

General -

1. Reputation Services
  2. CyberCapture (allow me to decide)
  3. Hardened Mode (moderate)
  4. scan for PUPs
  • Need NOT have 'Aggressive Hardened mode' with VDS and SmadAV (anti-exe, AV for USB)
  • Action for all detections in any mode: ASK (except for malicious websites)
  • Always scan by content (not by extension) (except for Full Scan)
Smart Scan > Scan for viruses
  1. Scan all files
  2. Use code emulation
  3. Test whole files
  4. Follow links during scan
Special Scan > Explorer Scan
  1. Scan all files (all types)
  2. Test whole files
  3. Follow links during scan
  4. Extract all packers
  1. Scan all files (I try to make Quick Scans thorough and less quicker)
  2. Use code emulation
  4. Extract Packers (only famous extensions)
  1. (unchecked) scan all files
  2. recognize by content
  3. (unchecked) test whole files
  4. extract packers (only famous extensions)
  1. Scan all files (I scan folders mainly if I need to execute some files, need a clean chit before)
  2. Use code emulation
  4. All packers
  1. Scan > recognize by content (cannot trust extension manipulations)..
  1. Scan all files
  2. extract packers (only famous extensions)
  3. Use code emulation
  4. Test whole files
Web Shield
  1. (Additional) Warn when downloading files with poor reputation (large Avast community = large DB)
  2. Scan all files
  3. DO NOT test whole files (default)
  4. Scan for PUPs
Firewall
  1. Use separate settings for Public (ask), Private (auto-decide) network
  2. Show notifications about newly created (any) rules
  3. some custom system rules
  4. log all blocked packets (difficult but helpful for analysing)
Sandbox
  1. Assign memory/CPU/time restrictions for unsigned sandboxed processes (I've tested a rogueware that made my VM crawl at 100% CPU usage even in sandbox, hence this rule)
  2. (occasional) Drop administrative rights of apps
PS: Just replaced FSecure SAFE + WFC with this AIS setup on home PC. Planning to replace VDS with CS to reduce lags and lack of control.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
interesting just wondering what you meas CS?

Reactions: Ink

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I have a config file that you can just import, but avast! cocked it up and importing doesn't work for version 17 which is annoying. It was so easy to offer custom settings to people and now it's not working. Ugh :( I have no idea when they'll fix it, they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix this...

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a config file that you can just import, but avast! cocked it up and importing doesn't work for version 17 which is annoying. It was so easy to offer custom settings to people and now it's not working. Ugh :( I have no idea when they'll fix it, they don't seem to be in any hurry to fix this...
version 17 is not for geeks. It breaks too many things.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Sandbox
  1. Assign memory/CPU/time restrictions for unsigned sandboxed processes (I've tested a rogueware that made my VM crawl at 100% CPU usage even in sandbox, hence this rule)
  2. (occasional) Drop administrative rights of apps
Avast Manual Sandbox is not good for running software virtualised, you'd be lucky to get it to work on default settings and a normal application like Firefox.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Avast Manual Sandbox is not good for running software virtualised, you'd be lucky to get it to work on default settings and a normal application like Firefox.
I am not sure why you said that, got to check it out!
I've switched to Avast after a long time (thanks to MT), but that's on my home PC only. Dad uses that mainly so I've not got a chance to test something inside yet. Will try it tonight. Thanks for the info.
I've KIS and SD (removed SB) on my lappy and that always feels good :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I am not sure why you said that, got to check it out!
I've switched to Avast after a long time (thanks to MT), but that's on my home PC only. Dad uses that mainly so I've not got a chance to test something inside yet. Will try it tonight. Thanks for the info.
I've KIS and SD (removed SB) on my lappy and that always feels good :)
Q&A - Need Help to Get Apps to Run in Avast Manual Sandbox (Virtualised)

I ran Firefox under Sandbox for a few days, then it stopped working (days later) and would not load the application.

Tried to run AppFalcon in the Sandbox. First triggered by Hardened Mode so I added to Exclusions, ran again and nothing.

FYI: Manual Sandbox is available in Pro and higher, it's different to Autosandbox.

Reactions: JM Safe and Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Q&A - Need Help to Get Apps to Run in Avast Manual Sandbox (Virtualised)
I ran Firefox under Sandbox for a few days, then it stopped working (days later) and would not load the application.
Currently Opera works fine. It should then take time for even me to simulate this, if some issues are to occur.

Tried to run AppFalcon in the Sandbox. First triggered by Hardened Mode so I added to Exclusions, ran again and nothing.
Screenshot (9).png
And nothing - you mean it worked in SB right? It did not show a 'SB border' around for the main window, but I couldn't use Lightshot to screenshot. So AppFalcon was SB'ed well. I am using 'Moderate' Hardened mode.

Still, we get that it's not fully compatible with some apps and can break things! I'll keep away from it. Love Comodo for this part, better, if not perfect, in sandboxing.

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Thanks guys, I have added the settings from the max security thread and going to leave it like that as I don't see any performance issues, and don't feel need to put anything in exclusions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.