Advice Request Avast 2017 free configuration

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 59295
  • Start date

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Hey guys,

I've been a reader of this forum for a while, and was just wondering what changes do you make to the default set up of Avast 2017 free. As I just want a lightweight hassle free experience and I do know my way around a computer just wondering what changes you guys make?

Reactions: FrFc1908

Hector1

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 4, 2015
Default is very good, maybe you want enable PUP detection and not install unwanted feature (avast browser, safe price, ecc.).
And for awesome protection you can pair it with Comodo Firewall (autosandbox On): bunker-mode Pc ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: FrFc1908

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For Avast the most common configuration is enable PUP detection, enable hardened mode like to aggressive and increase the sensitivity level of Web and File Protection.

That is the main Avast's stronghold configuration, Hardened Mode by default is not active/moderate since it may block legitimate program although in reality its opposite and safe for long term usage.

Reactions: Parsh

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
you can refer to this thread
How to setup Avast Internet Security for Maximum Protection (2016 Guide)

or you can have a look at my settings, at 1:55

wow
beautiful video!
but it's safe to exclude almost everything like the
Code:
ProgramData\
Program Files (x86)\
Windows\
Program Files\
folders?
in the exclusion list you enable check for "write" files , in short the new files , because you are sure you machine it's clean ,right?

i have notice ads in the last version

thanks for the video , i appreciate it a lot!

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
wow
beautiful video!
but it's safe to exclude almost everything like the
Code:
ProgramData\
Program Files (x86)\
Windows\
Program Files\
folders?
in the exclusion list you enable check for "write" files , in short the new files , because you are sure you machine it's clean ,right?

i have notice ads in the last version

thanks for the video , i appreciate it a lot!
yes, because the machine is clean so I set it up like that. You can uncheck "execute" of 2 program files folders too so it's safer but takes a bit more times to load

I don't understand your setence about ads. Did you mean 2017 version have ads or if my adblocking method didn't work?
I did the same in 2016 version and I never got ads

Last edited:
Reactions: giulia
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Thanks guys, just out interest if there are any programs that are stopped by hardened mode will i be able to whitelist them if so how?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks guys, just out interest if there are any programs that are stopped by hardened mode will i be able to whitelist them if so how?
when you receive the hardened mode popup, there will be a text at the bottom "add an exclusion" => click => done
clipboard01-jpg.73533

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
yes, because the machine is clean so I set it up like that. You can uncheck "execute" of 2 program files folders too so it's safer but takes a bit more times to load

I don't understand your serende about ads. Did you mean 2017 version have ads or if my adblocking method didn't work?
I did the same in 2016 version and I never got ads
hi
weird , i have used the beta version , after i have uninstalled and installed the 2016 , but i have never seens ads

i will install the new version and i will setup like you !
the report file could be tweaked .. because it tends to grow up

but great guite i will block ads too
;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Evjl's Rain
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Will that still show if I am in fullscreen in the app?

Did read that not sure whether I quite want to go with that route, I know what I am doing but seems weird to not use half the software
it will show up before that fullscreen app can run so you don't have to worry
if nothing suspicious is running, no popup will appear
game mode may help to hide avast notifications while gaming

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
The anti-executable guide is that worth putting in place?

What are the pros and cons of it?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The anti-executable guide is that worth putting in place?

What are the pros and cons of it?
the interesting new tweaks presented in the anti-exe guide are the program folder exclusions in active scanning. It speeds up your system. Only use these tweaks if you have UAC enabled (actually, you should have it enabled in any case)

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
the interesting new tweaks presented in the anti-exe guide are the program folder exclusions in active scanning. It speeds up your system. Only use these tweaks if you have UAC enabled (actually, you should have it enabled in any case)
Yeah I do have UAC enabled, thanks for the input. However that isn't really the pros and cons

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah I do have UAC enabled, thanks for the input. However that isn't really the pros and cons
I think that @Windows_Security could better tell you the pros and cons. He is the author of it. Ask him over on that thread for the pros and cons

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
possible Pros and cons I can think of

Cons:
- cybercapture is off
- web shield is off - no phishing protection, weaken behavior shield according to avast guys
- His exclusion is similar but a bit more than mine => faster but less safe

Pros:
- a bit faster
- less data uploading due to Cybercapture being off (known to cause high data usage)

Reactions: giulia and shmu26

giulia

Level 5
Verified
Nov 30, 2016
possible Pros and cons I can think of

Cons:
- cybercapture is off
- web shield is off - no phishing protection, weaken behavior shield according to avast guys
- His exclusion is similar but a bit more than mine => faster but less safe

Pros:
- a bit faster
- less data uploading due to Cybercapture being off (known to cause high data usage)
hi
is there a way to optimaze the email scanner ?
i use thunderbird with SSL/TlS with google and outlook(hotmail) accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.