Compare Protection Avast 2017 vs AVG 2017

Which solution do you recommend?

• Avast 2017

• AVG 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know 2017 version of avg devoloped from Avast. And also both of them use the same engine. But i want to ask you a question. Which one have more feature at the moment? And which one do you recommend to install my computer?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.​

brod56

Level 12
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Default-Deny
Hey man. Of the two I would choose Avast, much more reliable and customizable.
My personal choice is Bitdefender though. I believe you could do some research on Youtube so that you form your own opinion. Here are some interesting channels:

The PC Security Channel [TPSC]
Malware Blocker
cruelsister1
Aca Faca

Make sure to post on Security Configuration Wizard forum your full setup after you made your choice :)

AVG is pretty much a stripped-down version of Avast now, so I see no reason to choose AVG unless you prefer the GUI or like having TuneUp included.

Vote goes to Avast.
Thank you for your opinion. I dont care TuneUp. I only interesting about protection.

Der.Reisende

Level 35
Trusted
AV-Tester
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
F-Secure
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
ESET
Hey
as you know the 2017v of both of them is the same
But avast has more features and the most imortant Hardened mode

Thank you for your opinion. I dont care TuneUp. I only interesting about protection.
Their protection will be extremely similar. AVG is owned by Avast; their signature databases are shared, Avast's Cybercapture was integrated into AVG and AVG's behavioural shield was integrated into Avast.

Spawn

Administrator
Staff member
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
Avast would be my preferred choice between the two software, it has a lot more to offer. It also borrows AVG's ID Protection which is now called Behaviour Shield in Avast Free. It was my favourite component in AVG after LinkScanner (discontinued).

If you decide to opt-for Avast Free, I recommend to enable Hardened Mode to better protect your PC, than default options.

Avast Help: About Hardened Mode (explanation)
Simply put, the Hardened Mode is a means of “parental control” for executable files.

When enabled, it is always running in the background and checking every process launched on the machine. The evaluation of files is based on their reputation coming from the cloud (controlled by the VLab).
  • In the Aggressive Hardened Mode, only chosen executable files with known high ratings are allowed; the rest gets prevented from running.
  • On the other hand, the Moderate Hardened Mode blocks only files which have bad ratings (and those which have no ratings at all, due to being new).
This is useful for inexperienced users who do not always know what exactly they are launching.
Differ on view: Useful for both inexperienced and experienced users.

Exterminator

Super Moderator
Staff member
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Kaspersky
My vote goes to AVAST both free and Paid for the same reasons as @Spawn said above.
Avast acquired a majority stake in AVG and became a single company in October of 2016.

OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Even free Avast is more than enough to protect you. Go to the Avast thread area and follow Jack's Maximum Protection guide. (Applies for the free version.) I have been using Avast for a long time and it hasn't failed me! :)

Spawn

Administrator
Staff member
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Microsoft
AVG PC TuneUp, AVG Web TuneUp and probably 1-2 more I forgot about.
It has been a while since I tried the newest version, but are they not optional to install from the Main UI In-App? Whereas Avast Cleanup and SafePrice are enabled in the default installer.

Aura

Level 20
OS
Windows 10
Antivirus
Emsisoft
Pretty sure they either bundle them, or nag the user to install them via pop-ups in the bottom right-corner. That's how it was last time I dealt with AVG.