Avast 2017 vs AVG 2017

Heyye

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 18, 2016
I know 2017 version of avg devoloped from Avast. And also both of them use the same engine. But i want to ask you a question. Which one have more feature at the moment? And which one do you recommend to install my computer?

Sorry for my bad english.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards.​

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Hey man. Of the two I would choose Avast, much more reliable and customizable.
My personal choice is Bitdefender though. I believe you could do some research on Youtube so that you form your own opinion. Here are some interesting channels:

The PC Security Channel [TPSC]
Malware Blocker
cruelsister1
Aca Faca

Make sure to post on Security Configuration Wizard forum your full setup after you made your choice :)

Heyye

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 18, 2016
AVG is pretty much a stripped-down version of Avast now, so I see no reason to choose AVG unless you prefer the GUI or like having TuneUp included.

Vote goes to Avast.

Thank you for your opinion. I dont care TuneUp. I only interesting about protection.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Thank you for your opinion. I dont care TuneUp. I only interesting about protection.
Their protection will be extremely similar. AVG is owned by Avast; their signature databases are shared, Avast's Cybercapture was integrated into AVG and AVG's behavioural shield was integrated into Avast.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I had conflicts with the new avast, although I had never had conflicts like that before with Avast.
Will I probably have those same issues with the new AVG?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Avast would be my preferred choice between the two software, it has a lot more to offer. It also borrows AVG's ID Protection which is now called Behaviour Shield in Avast Free. It was my favourite component in AVG after LinkScanner (discontinued).

If you decide to opt-for Avast Free, I recommend to enable Hardened Mode to better protect your PC, than default options.

Avast Help: About Hardened Mode (explanation)
Simply put, the Hardened Mode is a means of “parental control” for executable files.

When enabled, it is always running in the background and checking every process launched on the machine. The evaluation of files is based on their reputation coming from the cloud (controlled by the VLab).
  • In the Aggressive Hardened Mode, only chosen executable files with known high ratings are allowed; the rest gets prevented from running.
  • On the other hand, the Moderate Hardened Mode blocks only files which have bad ratings (and those which have no ratings at all, due to being new).
This is useful for inexperienced users who do not always know what exactly they are launching.
Differ on view: Useful for both inexperienced and experienced users.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Even free Avast is more than enough to protect you. Go to the Avast thread area and follow Jack's Maximum Protection guide. (Applies for the free version.) I have been using Avast for a long time and it hasn't failed me! :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
AVG PC TuneUp, AVG Web TuneUp and probably 1-2 more I forgot about.
It has been a while since I tried the newest version, but are they not optional to install from the Main UI In-App? Whereas Avast Cleanup and SafePrice are enabled in the default installer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.