App Review Avast 7 free vs AVG 2012 free

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Avast 7 Free or AVG 2012 Free ?

• Avast 7 Antivirus Free

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • AVG Antivirus 2012 Free

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDRockstar

Thread author
Dec 14, 2011
Avg beat avast by far in this review! Avg was bad 2-3 years ago but now they are good thanks to identity protection. I don't know why people are complaining about AVG impact on performance because it is pretty light on my system.

I don't say that avast 7 free is not good but people have to stop thinking that avg 2012 free is garbage!

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Everything has a changed so its only a good move for AVG thus proved it can compete with other free AV's well.

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
I am an offficial avg vip over at the community and I can teel you for shure , that AVG is getting better with every release , it beats avast by miles! Avast is good for blocking malware , but lacks in the removal of threats , it leaves remmenants behind!!! while AVG is excellent at both blocking and removing!!! when you look at the removal video of matt rizos , trying to install avast is on a infected machine , it dident let it install , let alone let the program run!!!! and asking money for a bootable cd??? come on , that is really crappy bussiness!!! don't get me wrong , I do not hate avast , but I do not like their way , of running their stuff.....

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm neutral about the two, I can see their potentials and major flaws.

gbpackerfan

Jun 14, 2011
AVG is good, but it's just too advertisement infested, and not as neat and organized as Avast. The performance AVG has on a system might not be bad, but the performance that Avast has is just much better.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
One amateur video review proves nothing.
This doesn't influence my views in either way.

Thanks.:D

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
While AVG 2012 9s a great progress over the previous versions , I'll have to go with Avast 7 Free mainly because of the innovative technologies like cloud file reputation and AutoSandbox.... - Great article : https://blog.avast.com/2012/03/20/autosandbox-why-are-you-annoying-me/
asnx.png

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Jack avg does have a cloud based analysis feature albeit it has not been put into proper use. In this case I am neutral. Agreed people have to stop thinking avg is a crappy resource hog they are miles far way from it. They have really improved form v9 onwards. Their new link scanner and Do not track are good features. But avg has a lot of adds. The link scanner toolbar is a good example. It also redirects you to another ad supported page if you enter a wrong web address. Then it also has a google powered search results which is forced as default search engine and gives all useless results. Bitdeffender's traffic light has a better toolbar design.

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
This is the cloud part of AVG , Malkby whas talking about :)

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,842

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
Ofcourse there is always room for improvement , and AVG really listens to their customers and fans in the matter of this: When you have won 4 community award on their community page on Facbook , you will get invited to join the AVG superfans group , various high ranked people from AVG wil talk and discuss this with the group on skype , to see in wich points the products can be improved and certainly do something with the feedback we give them...the thing we are hoping for is to have more extensive hips and a sandbox , to make AVG'S lines of defence more stronger and unintrussive , maybe this will be added in the 2013 release :) the point is , than when a product has a bad rep from its past performances , it is very hard to loose that image!!!! but like is said before AVG has come from a long way and it is still improving day by day , just give this wonderfull product a chance and see how much it has improved , give it a chance at least :) thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From its past AVG features like linkscanner, ID Protection were not so good on the first place however generations and from its analysis on how it improved likely a good one for them.

AVG is famous even before however from its past the result was not a full blown product. Today a back on track product.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
BlackHole interface looks cool. This is your avg SP1 right. The upper bar has also changed from 2012 version.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Blackhole that is not the cloud part of avg. Identity protection is actually AVG's behavioral blocker and somewhat a HIPS.

From AVG website: "AVG Protective Cloud Technology
Emerging threats are identified “in the cloud” and prevented from infecting your computer via AVG’s automatic updates to your anti-virus software."

V

Vextor

I am still an Avast! fan. AVG is a good anti-virus, however it is bloated and suffers from some detection issues. It is also hated by a lot of people because of it blocks legitimate files sometimes. It does have a much better behaviour component from Avast!, however it is not implemented correctly, and some of the components in AVG conflict with each other.
Avast! also has a much slicker interface. It is easy for new people to understand and is an install and go. It also has auto-sandbox, a function that is becoming a requirement for AV's. Also, it should not contain adverts. Adverts are what ruined Avira. Avast!'s advertisements are only one screen of the UI, and is built into the interface and is non-intrusive.
If AVG can work on these flaws, then they have a full product that I may consider, but personally I consider none of the products here, however I prefer avast! if I have to.

OFF-TOPIC:
COMODO is the best free anti-virus hands-down. It contains all the pluses of these two products, and has a proper firewall, and good detection, but the icing on the cake is the AMAZING Defense+. It works very well and gives the user the option, but suggests the recommended option.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
My choice will have to be Avast. Been a fan of it when since the version 4.8 and since then they have gotten better and bigger in what they have added to Avast. AVG on the other hand I have not heard (might not have been listening) much about AVG and how they have improved. Like Avast now has a file reputation system, compared to AVG which is based on signatures. I also think (not sure) that Avast now has cloud built in it? AVG might have good removal capabilities, but Avast have so many features that AVG doesn't. Another one is the sandbox, Avast has that which AVG doesn't. When I first started to use Avast it was behind AVG in the free AV market, but now a days Avast is not that far behind and or is the best free antivirus out there.

My vote Avast.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I believe most users have already made their choice, AVG Free has been at the top of most download sites lists for years, now since the release of Avast 7 it has been at the top and AVG right underneath.

I agree AVG Free has improved very much over the years but is still following in Avast footsteps.

For video reviews, they are like looking at one half of a side of a 4 sided building and then trying to come to the conclusion what the rest of the building looks like. I'm surprised how many users put so much weight in video reviews. Video reviews are not a good way to show how any software can perform. The only way to know is to try the software yourself and do your own comparison.

Since more AVG users are moving to Avast, that should give you some kind of idea what others think.

Thanks.:D

G

Guest28

Ooops I accidently chose avg as the best product...... my choice goes to avast their file reputationwill grow larger also they don,t add tool bars....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast and AVG both were rely on the components beside on the signatures (+1 for it). Strong Webguard components especially zero day.

They were both free however Avast was the only managed to gave free product without toolbars and etc. Excluded bundled software for installation (Google Chrome) which is a legitimate product.

Both of them have a good marketing shares thus known famous as a free AV and benefited by all users around the world.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
blackhole,those Fake AV in matt's avast removal video wont allow any AV to load even AVG will fail.....now if i say u should look at AVG 2012 prevention test then u will be pissed looking at the ransomware crap :D.

AVG=bullcrap. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.