App Review Avast 7 free vs AVG 2012 free

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Avast 7 Free or AVG 2012 Free ?

• Avast 7 Antivirus Free

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • AVG Antivirus 2012 Free

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

malbky said:
Mods why dont you lock this thread.

Because the thread is still usefull and other people may still give their opinion about it, it is not because some members are out of limit, that the whole thread is bad., this is my opinion, im not a mod :D

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
malbky said:
I dont want to say this but I am forced to acknowledge malwarekiller is behaving like a big fanboy. IT does not matter that AVG wins or Avast, what matters is what you like and what you are comfortable in using. I have seen malwarekiller repeatedly posting Avast beats avs handsdown etc etc threads and posts. We all love some AV but have no right to force our choice you can just recommend it. Malwarekiller before you say anything to anyone I would love to remind you you are no expert. You pls learn malware removal and OT scripts before giving it it to anyone. Sorry guys I had to post this. Mods why dont you lock this thread.
i agree with you.malwarekiller,if you like avast then its good for you,i like it too although i use comodo internet security suite,but i tried avg 2012 and what i can say is that its really good,so if you don't like a software just don't say anything about it,because you don't really have proof of what you are talking as avg is really good,even better than avast in my opinion only advantage avast has over avg is the sandbox,i was a avast fanboy too before i start using comodo,but you should learn that every software improves with time and you should try them not judge them because you use an old version..

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
And what about avast cloud services??

AVG doesnt quickly remove threats and takes a long long time and what about u guys blaming avast on matt's removal video....fakeAV will just block the AV out....even virus master AVG :lol: will be knocked out

so i go to avast! much much better than AVG as what AV-comp says here http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart2.php
....Case closed :D

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
malbky said:
You pls learn malware removal and OT scripts before giving it it to anyone.

Well i guess i am No magician...So just cozz the MS Fixit did something its not my mistake go and blame Microsoft...I have been on trend community and so far i have had a lot of win and just had a couple of losses i guess...But i am ever learning :rolleyes:

Agree,Mod's please close this thread its getting bloated

I

illumination

There are so many variables when it comes to choosing a product to secure your system with. Mostly it depends on how you use your system though.

I tried a study, utilizing my two teenage nephews, it worked rather well, as both of them, will surf, uncaringly on the internet. I would place a product on their main machine and turn them loose for a week, then run scans to see how the product stood up to their "surfing" habits. Many did not pass the test. Avast just happened to be one, that let many "trojans" onto the system through this trial. So with choosing, as a few mentioned earlier, it would be wise, to test these products for yourself, with your "habits" to conclude which would work best for you.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
malwarekiller said:
malbky said:
You pls learn malware removal and OT scripts before giving it it to anyone.

Well i guess i am No magician...So just cozz the MS Fixit did something its not my mistake go and blame Microsoft...I have been on trend community and so far i have had a lot of win and just had a couple of losses i guess...But i am ever learning :rolleyes:

Agree,Mod's please close this thread its getting bloated

Malwarekiller your OT scripts already corrupted my .net and for the fixit of MS to run it needs .net so the fixit is not at fault and I had made it clear. I agree with umbra that the thread is usefull.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
thewolfsmith72 said:
There are so many variables when it comes to choosing a product to secure your system with. Mostly it depends on how you use your system though.

I tried a study, utilizing my two teenage nephews, it worked rather well, as both of them, will surf, uncaringly on the internet. I would place a product on their main machine and turn them loose for a week, then run scans to see how the product stood up to their "surfing" habits. Many did not pass the test. Avast just happened to be one, that let many "trojans" onto the system through this trial.

So with choosing, as a few mentioned earlier, it would be wise, to test these products for yourself, with your "habits" to conclude which would work best for you.
Exactly as I said. All products are good in their own rights. Yes to an extent we can recommend users to switch to a better product but we should not force anything. Malwarekillers was not a Avast user over a long period nor an AVG user. If i would buy an internet security I think Avg is better but the free version of Avast has more features than AVG free. Anyways each product may work better for you so just try for yourself but theres no harm in asking advice to narrow your choices. I just use these tests and reviews to narrow my choices and many a times I have used a product and found that it works contradictory to that stated in the review.
So TRY BEFORE YOU BUY

D

Deleted member 178

An old sage said one day : " don't put fire on something if you can't stand the smoke" :D

Personally i am a tweaker and supporter of the "preventing is better than removing" way, i love products with lot of tweaking options, it is why i always get back to CIS even if some products seems to have better detection or removal capacities. Once a tweak CIS as my wish i can say that very few products may compete with it, that is CIS true power.

I tested Avast free/IS before, sure it has nice detection, nice GUI, cool features but it is too user-friendly for me. I was bored with it after a week.

Everybody has different tastes and approaches to a product, so it is why i don't care at all about test labs results since they mostly use the default setting of the products they test.
For me testing a product is pushing it to its limit, then you can start talking efficiency with me.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
A vs B don't usually get closed, and I'm currently undecided, because both are decent Free AVs, especially the latest versions.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
They were only differ on detection rates thus most users prefer the highest detection rates and possible also on their favorite software to protect them too.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I have always gone for Avast over AVG because of the way that Avast deals with malware compared to AVG.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Earth said:
A vs B don't usually get closed, and I'm currently undecided, because both are decent Free AVs, especially the latest versions.

Just close it please...I dont want this thread to become a place where people can post useless tosh :dodgy:

and why didnt the reviewer move the behav shield to ask when all of us know that it does nothing on auto decide...

Also u could have performed a full scan with avast...And many were the same piece of adware kraddare that should be counted as 1 and not multiple of them

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malwarekiller said:
Just close it please...I dont want this thread to become a place where people can post useless tosh :dodgy:

If you would like to discuss this further, please reply to the PM sent.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I really like the new Avast Account feature in Avast 7, I have Avast Free set-up and running across all our home computers. All I need to do is log-in online and see the status of the 4 devices.

Edit: Added screenshot.

isukicWMjEcIt.png

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Well, at least one independent testing organization thinks otherwise:
http://www.westcoastlabs.com/realTimeTesting/article/?articleID=1

BTW 3 weeks ago, they started using Avast 7 (and as you can see, there's some measurable upside).

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
How long the debates go the truth is avast is far better then avg in means of security as well as user friendly

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well it depends before its clearly that Avast was to be far better than AVG but now likely a change from its place. Since both evolved on better features and existed improvements components.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
RE: Avast 7 free vs AVG 2012 free

i really dont understand the point of this war room and other type of community reviews...as each AV gets better..it really doesnt matter on these reviews..

test was done with 132 malwares...where here on our malware hub we have things with 1000 pieces of malware and avast did beat some of the AV's in that way...and what the hell! i can tell u most of the samples in these malware collections dont contain real malware...many are false positives..so if any AV detects them its not to be counted at all..i do understand the urge of getting a standard AV...but these war rooms and community reviews make no sense from my point of view...as there are uncountable pieces of malware out there on the internet...

Prevention is always better than cure...avast can do more for u on prevention and no AV can remove everything...especially when it counters complex malware like rootkits...and how can u say those installers in these review are malwares...I have accumlated a chunk of 150MB of undetected malwares missed by avast from these malware collections and sent them to their lab and look at the reply i got...look at screenshot

Ad most of the users will go out buy a new computer,buy a antivirus and try to protect themselves...thats it what will happen..u need to be a good defender...removers are always there eg: combofix,MBAM,HMP etc etc

these tests get more and more problematic and avast labs are very particular no innocent samples will be in database unless proved as malicious as per their analysis...and how u garuntee all the malware in the pack work..u never know many may be very old..

So the conclusion: these reviews and war rooms achieve very less...it depends from system to system...if Kaspersky works for my friend and he stays clean with it i will leave him with it...Btw! but no AV is 100% u need to have layered protection to be 100% secure...remember:

Antivirus=75 to 85% protection
firewall,HIPS etc- 25 to 15 % of major unknown and new malware protection

So if u are basing conclusions on these reviews u will be changing your AV every week twice!!!! I have cleaned a lot of computers...and almost all AV's are bypassed on infected system...there is no AV that doesnt miss something

And a reply to blackhole comment,if u think AVG is best...then u will need to run AVG alone for a month or more and u will get infected as even legit sites are hijacked...so no need to blow your trumpet and show disregard for other AV's...u know nothing is best...nothing can be judged on small samples..no nothing..I am finished!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

In no way are you forced to take part in discussion in the War Room, it's there for:
Need opinions on comparing 2 or more products, ask here. Feel free to share your views with other members to state your case.

The Virus Exchange/Malware Hub, doesn't guarantee that all samples are malware, but do contain dangerous files that may harm your system, and you are recommended to leave if you have no clue to what you're doing there.

It's also intended for Malware Research purposes, if they user is interested in that field, so finding False Positives would be part of that.

I hope I made sense and the information is accurate, if not the other Staff can correct me. Thanks :D

Though I have noticed are a few topics regarding Avast and a certain point trying to be thrown across.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

malwarekiller said:
And a reply to blackhole comment,if u think AVG is best...then u will need to run AVG alone for a month or more and u will get infected as even legit sites are hijacked...so no need to blow your trumpet and show disregard for other AV's...u know nothing is best...nothing can be judged on small samples..no nothing..I am finished!

:rolleyes:

What about us non-AV users? Will we get infected? I've only had little experience using computers since Windows XP, 8 years max., and before that I only used Paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.