App Review Avast 7 free vs AVG 2012 free

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Avast 7 Free or AVG 2012 Free ?

• Avast 7 Antivirus Free

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • AVG Antivirus 2012 Free

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
RE: Avast 7 free vs AVG 2012 free

Earth said:
In no way are you forced to take part in discussion in the War Room
It's also intended for Malware Research purposes, if they user is interested in that field, so finding False Positives would be part of that.
I hope I made sense and the information is accurate, if not the other Staff can correct me. Thanks :D
Though I have noticed are a few topics regarding Avast and a certain point trying to be thrown across.

Thats not an excuse..considering todays prepectives,all av industries have failed...as we have flamer malware left undetected from past 2 to 3 years...as i said earlier these reviews,war rooms etc etc just achieves very less in todays competition...if a dum average users join the forum they look at these tests and war room reviews..they will be changing av's on daily basis...so if a AV is on the last position,its not the end of the world...its about uniting together against malware...we are barking on the wrong tree... so we are just slapping each other back and fourth and it's creating muddies and waters...this is no race...we are not here to fight with each other...we here to help each other and unite against cyber threats...if the good guys fight among themselves play tricks on each other they are hitting the hammer on their own leg...

examples of cheap tricks:
http://www.securelist.com/en/weblog?weblogid=208188011
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/10/kaspersky_malware_detection_experiment/
http://blog.eset.com/2010/02/02/kaspersky-virus-total-and-unacceptable-shortcuts

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

Earth said:
What about us non-AV users? Will we get infected? I've only had little experience using computers since Windows XP, 8 years max., and before that I only used Paint.

thats pretty obvious..the answer would be yes..U can get infected even whe u visit green sites..even these sites contain hidden injected iframe to redirect to malicious payloads...here is the chain i have seen from past win98 days:

malicious JS/Iframe->malicious PDF->Malicious website->malicious binaries.

and u can get trapped anywhere between the chain..sidenote: i am using PC'S from win 98/win2000 times

Moral of story: things that look green grass from outside is not always what u see and there are more dangers

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

Btw! here one that avast saved me from a week ago when i clicked a link on google avast aborted the connection with the linked site and bought back to the search results..a cross infected script loaded on google search link to redirect users via the injected link in search results...see image..

Avast warning refers to a Cross Site Scripting attempt from an infected website..
See: -code.google.com/p/icr/source/browse/trunk/res/SQL_Command/access+mdb+last+id+select+@@identity+-+ค้นหาด้วย+Google.htm?

D

Deleted member 178

malwarekiller said:
Thats not an excuse..considering todays prepectives,all av industries have failed...as we have flamer malware left undetected from past 2 to 3 years...

Undetected or voluntary ignored until it has no uses anymore...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

malwarekiller said:
i really dont understand the point of this war room and other type of community reviews...as each AV gets better..it really doesnt matter on these reviews..

test was done with 132 malwares...where here on our malware hub we have things with 1000 pieces of malware and avast did beat some of the AV's in that way...and what the hell! i can tell u most of the samples in these malware collections dont contain real malware...many are false positives..so if any AV detects them its not to be counted at all..i do understand the urge of getting a standard AV...but these war rooms and community reviews make no sense from my point of view...as there are uncountable pieces of malware out there on the internet...

Prevention is always better than cure...avast can do more for u on prevention and no AV can remove everything...especially when it counters complex malware like rootkits...and how can u say those installers in these review are malwares...I have accumlated a chunk of 150MB of undetected malwares missed by avast from these malware collections and sent them to their lab and look at the reply i got...look at screenshot

Well here there is an option all you have to do is not post here. Everyone is not making you post here. As for the community reviews I think that it's a great idea because it gives new comers to the forum a base idea on how an AV works and what in the videos he/she has see and what they like. If they go out and test it and they don't like it then they will go and remove it. If on the other hand they come back and say that they have found a good AV that works for their needs then, that is the good thing.

That is why if you have no idea what you are doing in the Virus Exchange and the MalwareTips Malware Links page I think that you should leave that area.

When it comes to the YouTube videos I also think it's great because it gives a different touch to YouTube, instead of going on there to see Going Quantum and Monstercat Media and Freddie Wong there are people like Languy and the others that teach people on the safety of the internet and what they think that you should be running on your computer. It gives people (new comers to the internet) a heads up on what they are about to enter.

malwarekiller said:
these tests get more and more problematic and avast labs are very particular no innocent samples will be in database unless proved as malicious as per their analysis...and how u garuntee all the malware in the pack work..u never know many may be very old..

That's the thing you won't know unless you try. Just like I have heard and other people have heard is that if you have not given it a shot how do you know what or how it's going to be like?

malwarekiller said:
So the conclusion: these reviews and war rooms achieve very less...it depends from system to system...if Kaspersky works for my friend and he stays clean with it i will leave him with it...Btw! but no AV is 100% u need to have layered protection to be 100% secure...remember:

Don't see how it depends on the system, but anyway I have to agree not all AV's are 100% right, that is why you should have COMMON SENSE. Even people that have just entered the internet and they see a page that is asking for them that is asking for credit card information, you would think that they will realise that something is wrong.

Lets say you are looking around for a company that you want to make a website for you and you find this company like Webcentral for instance and what you see of their website and what they have said over the phone and they have shown you websites that they have made and they look quite good and then this overseas person from another country to you rings you and then says that they are a website company that makes websites and then they say give the money and we will. You have no proof that what they have done how good their service is and if they have a website. So it's COMMON SENSE to realise that something is wrong.

malwarekiller said:
So if u are basing conclusions on these reviews u will be changing your AV every week twice!!!! I have cleaned a lot of computers...and almost all AV's are bypassed on infected system...there is no AV that doesnt miss something

And a reply to blackhole comment,if u think AVG is best...then u will need to run AVG alone for a month or more and u will get infected as even legit sites are hijacked...so no need to blow your trumpet and show disregard for other AV's...u know nothing is best...nothing can be judged on small samples..no nothing..I am finished!

Not all people change their AV's every week. I have been using Trend Micro now for 8 years now and I have swapped to see what other AV's are like but I have always gone back to them because I trust them in what they do (plus I do beta testing for them). Also when you say that you have clean a lot of computers, I see that you have done so here on MalwareTips, but where else?

I bet that most of the people that moved to the internet and started to use it I bet that most of everyone's first AV was AVG and I bet yours was as well. Their not that bad it's just that other people have given a bad view. It does what Avast would do and MSE, I don't see what their bad.

So after this I think that if you don't want to talk in these sections and you don't like them then just leave..I am finished!

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

McLovin said:
Languy and the others that teach people on the safety of the internet and what they think that you should be running on your computer. It gives people (new comers to the internet) a heads up on what they are about to enter.

No way! languy99 reviews are flawed and most of his links are not malicious...so please dont talk on him...he is a serious comodo person and tries to put down all AV's...

McLovin said:
That's the thing you won't know unless you try. Just like I have heard and other people have heard is that if you have not given it a shot how do you know what or how it's going to be like?
I am sending samples to AV vendors and i have posted screenshot from milos [virus analyst from avast!]

McLovin said:
I bet that most of the people that moved to the internet and started to use it I bet that most of everyone's first AV was AVG and I bet yours was as well

No u are wrong my first AV is avast and i still use it...

McLovin said:
As for the community reviews I think that it's a great idea because it gives new comers to the forum a base idea on how an AV works and what in the videos he/she has see and what they like

Whats the point anyways?? the tests are done with small amount of samples...do u really think that user in real world will go to these malicioud domains...No he wont...these days malware spreads from unsuspected websites...

McLovin said:
That is why if you have no idea what you are doing in the Virus Exchange and the MalwareTips Malware Links page I think that you should leave that area.

I do know what i am doing...I get a lot of samples for MBAM from there...and its also a really good place to improve an AV.

And these tests are unbiased and non-fruitful a dum average user...will go with the thing he looks at first sight that is good...no av is 100% neither gdata,nor avast,neither AVG...why should u watch these reviews which are flawed...like languy99 reviews...no user will gt these domains really...and again these tests achieve very less than seen...

Reason:
a) Small amount of samples.
b)Many samples are FP's
c)a dum user will judge things at first sight without taking it with a pinch of salt.
d)even if u think it s great its not...we need to make it real ok...use a AV in real world and see how much it works for u...and NOT for a youtube tester
e)these tests cant replicate real world protection of a av for a normal user

Btw! again our malware hub provides us with large samples everyday..so everyday our AV's are tested and improved

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

malwarekiller said:
he is a serious comodo person and tries to put down all AV's...

He might be a Comodo person and Mod but with the videos that I have seen I think that all of them are fair.

malwarekiller said:
No u are wrong my first AV is avast and i still use it...
Well good on you for that. :sleepy:

malwarekiller said:
Whats the point anyways?? the tests are done with small amount of samples...do u really think that user in real world will go to these malicioud domains...No he wont...these days malware spreads from unsuspected websites...

No he/she won't but they will come across something that they might of gotten from a friend or in an email. So it shows the user on tips to prevent it from happening.

malwarekiller said:
I do know what i am doing...I get a lot of samples for MBAM from there...and its also a really good place to improve an AV.

no av is 100% neither gdata,nor avast,neither AVG...why should u watch these reviews which are flawed...like languy99 reviews...no user will gt these domains really...and again these tests achieve very less than seen...

Well good on you for that.

Your right that no AV is 100% but when users watch videos like this give them the INSIGHT on how to prevent it.

malwarekiller said:
d)even if u think it s great its not...we need to make it real ok...use a AV in real world and see how much it works for u...and NOT for a youtube tester

Last time I'm going to say it, it's giving them/users tips on how to prevent it and how and which AV they would like to use. If they like they will use it if not they won't.

malwarekiller said:
Btw! again our malware hub provides us with large samples everyday

That is correct.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012

McLovin said:
Last time I'm going to say it, it's giving them/users tips on how to prevent it and how and which AV they would like to use. If they like they will use it if not they won't.

No its not!...first small samples are in testing..and whats the benifit?? if the user takes A av of his choice and he gets infected with the av on there...its useless...reviews are showing u nothing...use what works for u and not for the testers..ultimate conclusion: youtube reviews cant judge a av...go ahead And test a av for yourself

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011

malwarekiller said:
go ahead And test a av for yourself

if the user takes A av of his choice and he gets infected with the av on there...its useless...reviews are showing u nothing

I have and all test come out on top.

It might show nothing to the user but once they have tried that one and test a different one they might find it more reliable. It doesn't mean for the Noobs out there to go malware hunting but it just give them time and if they like it's great if not well they will find a different one.

Or come to MalwareTips so we can help you :p

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012

It gives you an idea of how good that program will protect your system...if I test avg for example and it lets 10 pieces of malware thru and comodo blocks all 10 i'm dang sure gonna install comodo before avg any day.

P

Plexx

Although Languy99 uses CIS Premium himself, he had used other tools in the past such as Kingsoft and on his last system review, he is using Norton DNS with AVG Link Scanner and CIS Premium.

Now tell me, why ain't he using Comodo DNS even though he uses their software and is active in their forums?

It has been said he puts down other avs. Last time I check his reviews, the most recent I can remember ESET 6 Beta, he didnt put down the AV.

Sure sometimes his link tests are dead links but for example took me nearly 1 hour to grab links to ensure they were fresh for my review. It does take time to check the link and not just grab it from the site and thats it.

A good amount of time is spent in his videos for example.

Sure sometimes it is a bit boring but his reviews does give an overview of the product to the public.

Win7holic videos for example, before they were too fast. I remember back then some of us said it was too fast and he slowed down.

Don't just put down the reviewer and instead leave some constructive feedback.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011

Biozfear said:
Now tell me, why ain't he using Comodo DNS even though he uses their software and is active in their forums?

I'm just going to guess that it's because he doesn't like it...

I use their software and I'm active on their forums and I don't use SecureDNS either...

I use my ISP's DNS. I don't feel that blacklisting IP's through DNS is very effective, and lookups through my ISP are faster.

SecureDNS still has a ways to go before it's even slightly viable for me. Currently there is no user whitelist/blacklist capability. If I want to block a site, I can't do this. Or if Comodo has blocked a site that I believe is safe and wish to add an exception, I can't do this either. This is fairly basic functionality as far as I'm concerned.

But most importantly, there is currently no IP updating functionality. As my IP address is dynamic, each time my IP address changes, I must manually update the address through the SecureDNS website in order for my content filtering to work.

It took OpenDNS a surprisingly long time to release their own IP updating client as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.