Avast! 7 free with Comodo firewall

Do you like the Avast 7 Free + COMODO Firewall combo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
That would have to be a combo that everyone is picking. Avast because of it's great detection and CO-MO-DO because of it's firewall abilities.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What does "not limited" for unknown processes mean since Comodo says it's made easy for new users?

spleentechie

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012
Earth said:
What does "not limited" for unknown processes mean since Comodo says it's made easy for new users?

If an unknown processes or program is detected by Comodo it will be treated as if it is known and safe. If you modify the settings to safe or paranoid mode than unknown programs and processes will be treated as partially limited(sand boxed)
zSpleen

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Never tried this combo and I am not going to ;)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
spleentechie said:
If an unknown processes or program is detected by Comodo it will be treated as if it is known and safe. If you modify the settings to safe or paranoid mode than unknown programs and processes will be treated as partially limited(sand boxed)
zSpleen

This is incorrect. The default mode for CIS is safe mode. In safe mode, applications in the whitelist are allowed to run without alerts, but any unknown application will be sandboxed...

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
@HeffeD
Also is the 'avast webshield issue' still evident running alongside comodo's firewall ?
If so i would suggest that at this time it's not an ideal combo ?

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
NSG001 said:
@HeffeD
Also is the 'avast webshield issue' still evident running alongside comodo's firewall ?
If so i would suggest that at this time it's not an ideal combo ?

On Windows 7, yes. And due to the limitations in that OS, I suspect it always will. Even the Windows 7 firewall has the same issues.

spleentechie

Thread author
Jun 25, 2012
HeffeD said:
spleentechie said:
zSpleen

This is incorrect. The default mode for CIS is safe mode. In safe mode, applications in the whitelist are allowed to run without alerts, but any unknown application will be sandboxed...

strange not for my computer. Thanks, and I will try to figure that out

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
It is a good combo but I felt that some features overlap. You have a behavior shield in avast but also HIPS in Comodo, you have an auto-sandbox in avast and a similar feature in Comodo. So, when using them together I installed avast without the behavior shield and disabled the auto-sandbox in avast. Actually I also don't usually install the P2P, Mail and IM Shields. The reason I used this combo was because the antivirus in CIS wasn't as good as the one in avast, right now things might be different.

P

Plexx

From what I have observed CAV detection has improved quite a bit, based on the results by umbra. I could be wrong.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Had used that one until there was this issue with Avast 7's WebShield and Comodo. So I dropped Avast 7 and used Avira instead. With Avast 6 there was no issues whatsoever in Windows 7. I also noticed that the start-up was a bit slow with Avast 7 (Avast Internet Security ver 7) but it depends on the system installed though on mine as stated the icons appear very slow and long sort of the thing that I experienced when using Online Armor Premium.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
The only thing i've noticed is if the cloud in D+ detects a virus it can't do anything since comodo's av isn't installed... I have this combo on my daughters pc and I have both the BB and SB enabled in Avast and SB and HIPS in Comodo and nothing weird has happened so far.
2 Thumbs up!

D

Deleted member 178

The HIPS of Comodo and BB of Avast doesn't overlap since they are 2 IPS that works differently, they may detect the same malware but the way they treat it is different.

When i used this combo, i kept the SB of CIS and discarded the one of Avast, at that time it was more convenient.

im quite surprise that Comodo AV surpassed Norton AV, in all detection tests i did, not saying that NAV is very slow compared to CAV or EAM...
I set NAV's heuristic on aggressive everywhere, allowed the cloud, etc...
I really think now that Norton focuses on prevention by putting all the power on Sonar.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
jasonX said:
Had used that one until there was this issue with Avast 7's WebShield and Comodo.

i guess i dont see this problem at current basis...it has been resolved by comodo in version 5.9

norton uses more of cloud..thats why its signatures are weak they are heavily dependent on their cloud...even avast! is better than norton on detection test:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.