Avast! 7 free with Comodo firewall

Do you like the Avast 7 Free + COMODO Firewall combo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
I really think now that Norton focuses on prevention by putting all the power on Sonar.

Yes, I think this is the reason. Norton has decided that it's more important to intercept threat vectors from the internet than from physical media. So their detection of file based threats is sliding downwards.

malwarekiller said:
i guess i dont see this problem at current basis...it has been resolved by comodo in version 5.9

The problem only occurs if you're running the Comodo firewall and Avast 7 on Windows 7.

The problem is fixed with the beta Win 8 RC version of CIS, because Win 8 allows Comodo to utilize WFP more effectively than in Win 7.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
HeffeD said:
The problem only occurs if you're running the Comodo firewall and Avast 7 on Windows 7.

I have 2 win7 systems running this combo...non have these issues with latest avast 7 and comodo 5.9

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
I am Using this combo as well for over two weeks now , and I am not experiencing any problems at all :D
I use the comodo sandbox and disabled the one of AVAST , because in my opinion the one of Comodo is superior... in the past this combo gave quite an amount of blue screens , but now it seems to be a thing of the past , which is a good thing......very happy at the moment , and why should you pay 50 euro's for a security suite a year , when you can get protected for free even better!!!!

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
malwarekiller said:
I have 2 win7 systems running this combo...non have these issues with latest avast 7 and comodo 5.9

No, it isn't fixed in 5.9. It still exists in 5.10.

Are you using the web filter in Avast? If not, there is no problem. The problem stems from the proxy the web filter sets up in Avast 7. Earlier versions of Avast had a different proxy method that CFW was still able to properly filter.

A quick way to test this is to attempt to block an application with CFW. On Windows 7 with web filtering enabled on Avast 7, the block will fail.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
The HIPS of Comodo and BB of Avast doesn't overlap since they are 2 IPS that works differently, they may detect the same malware but the way they treat it is different.

When i used this combo, i kept the SB of CIS and discarded the one of Avast, at that time it was more convenient.

im quite surprise that Comodo AV surpassed Norton AV, in all detection tests i did, not saying that NAV is very slow compared to CAV or EAM...
I set NAV's heuristic on aggressive everywhere, allowed the cloud, etc...
I really think now that Norton focuses on prevention by putting all the power on Sonar.

What Umbra trying to say.

A host intrusion prevention system (HIPS) monitors each activity a program attempts and (depending on configuration) prompts the user for action or responds based on predefined criteria. Conversely, behavior blockers monitor and profile whole program behavior. When a collection of behaviors tips the scale, the behavior blocker will (depending on configuration) alert the user or take action against the entire program based on predefined criteria.

Though they sound similar, HIPS is application-level control (i.e. this program is allowed to do X but not Y), whereas behavior blocking is more cut and dry – the entire application is either good (allowed) or it is not.

Fortunately, many of these types of products combine both.

To sum it up:

If you are comfortable interpreting HIPS pop-ups (advanced): Disable sandbox in COMODO use avast's sandbox. Instead of auto-sandboxing the file, COMODO will show HIPS pop-ups. You are responsible for how you interpret and answer them.

If you don't like many HIPS pop-ups (recommended to most users): Disable sandbox in avast, set COMODO's sandbox to Restricted.

If you think the sandbox prevents a good application from running properly make sure the executable is not malicious by uploading it to Virus Total. Only if you are absolutely sure the application is not malware, run it again and click "Do not sandbox again".

D

Deleted member 178

You meant Avast + Comodo FW ^^ (with CIS you will look for conflicts :p)

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
HeffeD said:
malwarekiller said:

No, it isn't fixed in 5.9. It still exists in 5.10.

Are you using the web filter in Avast? If not, there is no problem. The problem stems from the proxy the web filter sets up in Avast 7. Earlier versions of Avast had a different proxy method that CFW was still able to properly filter.

A quick way to test this is to attempt to block an application with CFW. On Windows 7 with web filtering enabled on Avast 7, the block will fail.

No issues on non of my win7 laptop and win7 desktop with all avast shields on...i have some exclusions in avast and comodo...so that they arent scannin/monitoring each other...i removed those and then tried again...yet no issues on 2 systems.....and it is the problem with CIS and not with avast! its not a lie this is the true...avast team has it confirmed..and they wont change the source code of web shield back to the old one even if COMODO want avast to do so :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 178

malwarekiller said:
No issues on non of my win7 laptop and win7 desktop with all avast shields on...i have some exclusions in avast and comodo...so that they arent scannin/monitoring each other...i removed those and then tried again...yet no issues on 2 systems.....and it is the problem with CIS and not with avast! its not a lie this is the true...avast team has it confirmed..and they wont change the source code of web shield back to the old one even if COMODO want avast to do so :rolleyes:

Anyway exclusions must be respectively done by users for every security products they have in their system.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
If i have to go with avast free I will choose Avast free + Windows 7 Firewall + Windows 7 firewall control.
Fast and secure.

Of course antimalware like malwarebytes free and hitman pro (trial) along with it.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
malwarekiller said:
and it is the problem with CIS and not with avast! its not a lie this is the true...avast team has it confirmed..and they wont change the source code of web shield back to the old one even if COMODO want avast to do so :rolleyes:

No, the problem is Windows 7, not Avast or Comodo...

Comodo has never said they want Avast to change their code...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Awaits malwarekiller's reply containing source to back up this claim...

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Awaits malwarekiller's reply containing source to back up this claim...

I suppose you might as well go out, buy a mini fridge, go to Asda, get 48 cans of beer, go home, set up the fridge, place beers inside fridge, sit relax and by the time you finished all 48 cans you probably have the desired reply.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Well Comodo and Avast have both become rather bloated over the years.

P

Plexx

I agree on the Avast since the old version in my opinion was better.

But I suppose on every product, new versions have a bit of this and that etc... By the time one realizes, will always compare to the barebones versions yet when comparing backwards, old versions were better.

Take a non security app for example: how many users moved from Winamp version 5 because of being bloated compared to version 2? And how many decided to make the switch to foobar?

I got winamp and i don't see the need for so much either.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All the "features" that do not detect malicious files (except, Auto-Sandbox which is still a WIP to tackle possible undetected malware).

Easier to notice the bloat when compared to ESET Nod32.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
Earth said:
All the "features" that do not detect malicious files (except, Auto-Sandbox which is still a WIP to tackle possible undetected malware).

You mean behaviour shield?? yes i know that...but i dont call it a bloat..it works on ask...and sandbox is still being worked upon...and filerep does work..i have got a few alerts from it when messing up on malc0de:shy:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
malwarekiller said:
You mean behaviour shield?? yes i know that...but i dont call it a bloat..it works on ask...and sandbox is still being worked upon...and filerep does work..i have got a few alerts from it when messing up on malc0de:shy:

Up to personal preference. Just like I bet some people call Trend Micro bloated and what not, which I don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.