Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG

Avast acquires antivirus maker AVG - Is this good for Avast!?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

motox781

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 1, 2015
I voted yes. There may not be much of a technical reason to buy AVG for features, patents, etc...but maybe they considered AVG's user base and headquarters location (being in the same country...partially bias) as the prime reason to buy AVG.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
It is more about technology, money and influence. A bit like Norton acquired PC Tools. In a few years, Avast will absorb AVG completely. They will integrate technologies from AVG to all their products and keep expanding. I think Avast as a brand will remain and AVG will disappear.Obviously it's good for Avast.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I think that they will (sooner or later) release 50% of AVG people and then turn off AVG.

I like IDP of AVG and it will be good to add it to Avast.

...and the poll is wrong, it should be:
"Is this good for AVG"
...i don't think so...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I know right now what is being said through Avast's PR and the amical spin they are putting on this,
but mark my words AVG will be scuttled for anything useful including personel.
It may even be dressed up in sheep's clothing and pretty words. It's not a bad thing though and I think
Avast will benefit greatly if they play their cards right.
Awesome share Capt. :)
PeAcE

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
As far as the Poll "Is it good for Avast"
Of course it is.Anytime you get rid of one of your competitors in business it can only be good.
My vote "Yes" it is good for Avast!
As for everything else I guess time will tell.
As for AVG $1.3 Billion is not a bad payday.

D

Deleted member 178

Was AVG even a strong competitor against Avast?

I don't think so.

Business is business, whatever the competitor is efficient or not; market share is all that matters , now they bought AVG, they will gain AVG's market shares , means AVG money fom AVG's users.
They will also get AVG technology, resources, etc...

All this is beneficial to Avast; and after all is salvaged, they will dismantle the brand.

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
AVG was a strong and big competitor. But i think the difference lies in the fact that AVG was a public company. When you are a private company such as Avast, Eset, Avira as a few examples, you are more or less independent. Put it simply, the final decision belongs to you.

When you are a public company, things are a bit more volatile. You have to become profitable and so on, for investors to buy shares. To become profitable you have to generate a lot of money. To generate a lot of money, as we all know, data and information is key. That is where the dilema lies in security...you need to harvest data, but at the same time guarantee you users privacy. While companies such as Emsisoft as an example, focuses on developing new technologies for better detection, you are more focused as a public company to become profitable.That is why if you looked at AVG a few years ago, they were more focused on buying several companies, integrating them in their products rather than developing new ones. A good example,(the never loved:p) (AVG) Tune Up utilities. So what happens when your shares are falling for example, in the market? You're not a private company any more, so you have to give up some control for the cash to keep flowing. Or on the other side, you want to make big cash, you sell most of the shares in your company. But in the end (hmmm...sounds like Linking Park:cool:), you lose control and you're no more independent.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The chances of failure that AVG may disappear is very minimal so far, because it brought already the trademark name and represented technology/equipment.

So of course Avast will still focus on their own product meanwhile AVG may lead for some enhancement.

But in such test, the circulation may remain same. Avast is better than AVG based on claimed independent test.

Which of course your goal is to increase the shares and you have already gained control on the possible changes on competition.

nickoftime

Level 2
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
That is why if you looked at AVG a few years ago, they were more focused on buying several companies, integrating them in their products rather than developing new ones. A good example,(the never loved:p) (AVG) Tune Up utilities.
So... what happens now with the (always loved!) AVG TuneUp/Performance? Keep it alive please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.