Advice Request AVAST/AVG trustworthy again or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
But it is not critical, right? So there is no need for it to be installed by default. Does the Safe Pay function require the exrension?
i am using KSC free solution so i don't have payment protection so i don't know if it is essential in that case may @harlan4096 can tell you more
but i remember it was disabled one time and it blocked a website it without it
i depend on Adgaurd desktop + Netcraft+ Malwarebytes to cover this shortage
also there is secure input which is key logger protection " i think this may need the extensiob" @The Cog in the Machine

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
The block avgui.exe in firewall for the free version not working anymore. It constantly will pop up a big black blank AVG screen with nothing on it. And if you enable it in the firewall then you start getting the pop ups about upgrading, your aren't fully protected etc etc... :(

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I was checking AVAST yesterday, and i had the impression it was a little heavier than KSC free. Anyway, i must admit i liked AVAST could protect BRAVE (which neither Bitdefender nor Kaspersky protect). Kudos to AVAST for this.

BTW guys, there is any diference between AVAST and AVG nowadays? I know they use the same engine, but i don't have any idea about which free version is more complete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cortex

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I was checking AVAST yesterday, and i had the impression it was a little heavier than KSC free. Anyway, i must admit i liked AVAST could protect BRAVE (which neither Bitdefender nor Kaspersky protect). Kudos to AVAST for this.

BTW guys, there is any diference between AVAST and AVG nowadays? I know they use the same engine, but i don't have any idea about which free version is more complete.
Depends on your needs because they have the same engine and core AV module but they have different extras.
AVG has a file shredder , Avast has a software updater.

A few days ago, out of boredom, I installed AVG on my media center PC for testing with Hard Configurator (Avast hardened Aggressive profile).
Of course I only kept the main shields installed, tweaked the privacy settings and set the Hardened mode ON.
I kind of liked it and I can suggest this setup to anyone who doesn't like Defender and doesn't want to pay for a premium AV.
I prefer AVG's dark interface to Avast's eye candy orange-blue.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Where you get the info from that AVAST protects Brave browser?

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Personally, i do not trust anything made by Chinese or Russians. There's a lot good persons in both countries, but easily can be managed by political reason, if needed. Sad but true (Metallica).

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
According to the below Brave browser is not supported by BitDefender

Where did you get your info from?

Thanks
I'm using it and tested many malicious url's successfully against it...However Safe Pay does not work. :)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Personally, i do not trust anything made by Chinese or Russians. There's a lot good persons in both countries, but easily can be managed by political reason, if needed. Sad but true (Metallica).
Personally I do not trust anything made in America, because of NSA! Personally I don't trust anything that my wife prepares at night, because she's eager to sleep early! :oops:

Thank goodness I don't use a PC and mobile phone. :censored:

By the way after the Whatsapp privacy fiasco lately, I'm happy not to be using it anymore along with FB which I logged in last exactly an year back. If necessary I can cite more examples.

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
According to the below Brave browser is not supported by BitDefender

Where you get the info from that AVAST protects Brave browser?
I tested KSC and Bitdefender a couple of months ago. None of them worked. I made the tested comparing malicious and test files been accessed through Edge, Firefox and Brave. While both AV protected FF and Edge, they weren't able to protect Brave. I also tested a lot of protections extensions and compared their protection with Brave agaisnt Edge/FF with KSC/BD; none protected Brave in the same way AV covers supported browser. But, for you info, Bitdefender trafficlight was the best, been the only one capable of blocking malware files beyond phishing.

I made the same test with AVAST yesterday and it was capable to block almost all files i tested even with Brave. However it's alo true that KSC had slightly better results with supported browsers when compared to AVAST.

I'm considering move to AVAST after that, cause i really like Brave. However, i'll give Brave some time, as they are presenting a DNS-leak bug at the present moment.

I'm using it and tested many malicious url's successfully against it...However Safe Pay does not work.
Bitdefender may block some phishing tests, especially if you are using Bitdefender Traffilight. But, in my last tests it wasnt capable of blocking malicious files. You can test this: Feature Settings Check – Download of Compressed Malware | AMTSO. This files are not malicious but bitdefender should block them just like it blocks with Edge/Chrome/FF.

Check these AMTSO Security Features Check Tools | AMTSO and compare with Chrome, if you want an extensive test.

Personally I don't trust anything that my wife prepares at night, because she's eager to sleep early!
Poor guy. :cry:I wish you luck

By the way after the Whatsapp privacy fiasco lately, I'm happy not to be using it anymore along with FB which I logged in last exactly an year back. If necessary I can cite more examples
I'm really considering this. I would even stop using Whatsapp, but i'm not capable of making all my working contacts move to Signal.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
The block avgui.exe in firewall for the free version not working anymore. It constantly will pop up a big black blank AVG screen with nothing on it. And if you enable it in the firewall then you start getting the pop ups about upgrading, your aren't fully protected etc etc... :(
Well this is expected from a free product. If you really like the product, paying a few dollars will avoid you much of this annoyance. This is just my opinion.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.