Advice Request AVAST/AVG trustworthy again or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
I noticed to that it didn't annoy you with warns if you pass days without using the laptop and therefore databases don't update itself, it just updates automatically when you come back to use laptop and have an internet connection again.

That's how it ought to be. When I was younger and had more time, I used to like tinkering with software. Now, I like no-nonsense stuff more.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
People always confuse telemetry data with privacy data, is a waste of time to go down that rabbit hole, let the ignorant be ignorant.
Telemetry is the collection of measurements usually automatically & sent to a remote location electronically - So it can contain private data or not?

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Avast-UI.png

I unchecked the boxes on the privacy setting, leaving only the contribution for threat sharing (Community IQ), and it stops banner things on the main GUI.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I suppose I could trust AVAST/AVG again. Sometimes you have to get knocked on your butt once or twice to learn your lesson. They got caught and it cost them a lot of good will, and trust. I think it's been asked in this thread, I wonder how many other companies are doing similar things who haven't been caught yet.

As It stands, I could trust AVAST again, but I'm not putting their stuff on my computer right now, or for awhile.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Other companies doing the same sh*t does not and will never justify what Avast did. I just do not get it when people say all companies do the same, so it is Ok to use a privacy-evading product.
Didn't say it justified Avast. Nothing justifies what they did, or the others who are probably doing the same.

It's like politicians. Most are crooks and we know it. A lot of software companies are most likely just as guilty, with a few rare exceptions.

Last edited:

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
Overseer is still around if you have the Avast/AVG products installed. It gets uninstalled with the program.
Not always. I tested out AVG today (after swearing I'd NEVER trust Avast/AVG again), and even after running AVG's removal tool multiple times, overseer was not only still there, but tried to phone home too. Seriously, screw this company.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Free anti virus software in general exists not for charity reasons but to make money after all. There can be few exceptions to this like someone releasing a free anti virus to introduce their potential customers to their paid products. Its the users have to decide which anti virus they need to go with. I would recommend either stick with Windows Defender or get a paid Anti Virus software from reputed vendors like ESET, Emsisoft, Kaspersky etc.

entropism

Level 4
Verified
Jul 30, 2019
This wasn't in the free version, it was in a paid, 2 year subscription for AVG Internet Security that I had laying around. I tend to avoid free solutions SPECIFICALLY because of monetization.

That being said, AVG was locking up my system multiple times in the first 2 days, so I ditched it (again), had to run their removal tool a half dozen times, and Overseer was STILL there.

F

ForgottenSeer 93475

It is really terrible and scary to find so many people who do not care about their privacy at all
I hope that avast will make the most profit from your personal data that you sell, which you will always sell ;):rolleyes:

Reactions: Guilhermesene

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.