Avast Blamed for Breaking Down April 2018 Update

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
The experience with Windows 10 April 2018 Update has been far from flawless, and now we’re seeing reports of a new bug pushing systems to a black screen after completing the upgrade.

At first glance, it looks like the issue is caused by Avast Antivirus, and an in-depth description of the problem posted on reddit indicates that more systems have experienced the same symptoms in the last couple of days.

This could be living proof that a recent Avast update might have broken down compatibility with Windows 10 April 2018 Update, eventually causing errors that users can only resolve with a complete Windows reinstall.

Systems running Avast antivirus are presented with three boot options after upgrading to Windows 10 April 2018 Update from Windows Update: Windows Rollback, and Windows 10 on Volume appearing twice. While the first option triggers a reboot, the other two attempt to complete the boot, only to end up on a blank, black desktop with no icons, and a desktop loading error message.

Uninstall Avast antivirus before the upgrade
Reddit user gcdrm, who says is working at a small computer repair shop, reveals that multiple systems upgraded on May 20 and May 21 experienced the same issues.

Full story
Avast Antivirus Blamed for Breaking Down Windows 10 April 2018 Update

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I knew it! LOL

I created a huge debate yesterday on an IT Facebook Group explaining with detail why Windows updates are so important and must be installed, while all pseudo-technicians claimed that they were useless and broke machines everytime, using April Update as an example of how many PC's they had to repair due to it. I kept saying that if nobody touched the system in the update process or there was no antivirus blocking it, no problems should pop up. And heeeeeere comes Avast once again taking the lead!
If you do not use Windows Defender the best option in these scenarios is to disable your main antivirus before doing an important security update.

L

Local Host

Good thing I use Kaspersky, although disabling (or even uninstalling) the Anti-Virus is always recommended with this Updates.

Reactions: Syafiq and RoboMan

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Good thing I use Kaspersky, although disabling (or even uninstalling) the Anti-Virus is always recommended with this Updates.
6 months ago, Kaspersky was blocking Windows updates on some machines. This went on for a few months. They fixed it, but all 3rd party AVs have the potential to conflict with Windows functioning. It's a matter of luck.

It's funny how Avast gets blamed for Microsoft Spring Creator Update 1803 breaking the system. Everything was working fine until 1803 hit the system.

Blaming the 3rd-party publisher shows lack of understanding. "But it is Avasts! responsibility to fix everything before Microsoft released 1803 !" No, it doesn't work that way. With a little bit of knowledge, one can hardly say it is Avasts! fault.

Microsoft's new release schedule makes it such that no publisher can keep up with all the unilateral changes. In that kind of environment "stuff" is going to happen.

And no... the solution is not to test using the Windows Insider Program. Even if you do, Microsoft, more often than not, does not provide sufficient time for the publisher to provide fixes before Microsoft makes a "stable" release. And besides, Microsoft very often makes a fix to their update within the first 30 days. So, from the publisher's perspective, it is better to wait until 30 or more days after a Windows Update\Upgrade to go on the fishing expedition to figure out what Microsoft broke in their software.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
It's funny how Avast gets blamed for Microsoft Spring Creator Update 1803 breaking the system. Everything was working fine until 1803 hit the system.

Blaming the 3rd-party publisher shows lack of understanding. "But it is Avasts! responsibility to fix everything before Microsoft released 1803 !" No, it doesn't work that way. With a little bit of knowledge, one can hardly say it is Avasts! fault.
But the article states:

"However, this problem has only occurred on systems that attempted the 1803 upgrade in the last two days. This infers that a very recent update to Avast is interfering with the upgrade process"

1803 was already out for quite a while.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
But the article states:

"However, this problem has only occurred on systems that attempted the 1803 upgrade in the last two days. This infers that a very recent update to Avast is interfering with the upgrade process"

Thanks for pointing that out.

Reactions: Syafiq

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Updated April Update on 3 systems even before it was officially released and had no problems. Who wants to bet systems were running some ancient versions of avast! that were less than optimal for April update? avast! keeps on pressuring users to update program versions and users keep on stubbornly refusing because "reasons". And then geniuses jump on avast! because that's a common point, but how many actually evaluated what contributed to the "error"?

Reactions: Syafiq and shmu26
D

Deleted member 69059

Microsoft's new release schedule makes it such that no publisher can keep up with all the unilateral changes. In that kind of environment "stuff" is going to happen.

I completely agree with you. This is special dangerous when MS make important/low level changes in the system that could break sensitive software such as AVs, that uses low level APIs or kernel mode drivers.

On the other hand, It seems that Avast is not to blame for this problem. The article in reddit was updated and several users with other AVs (AVG and Norton) also have the same problems.

Reactions: Syafiq and shmu26

But the article states:

These posts are difficult because they are not normal human conversations.

1803 has not been out long enough for publishers to figure out all the problems. It isn't like there is an army of programmers who sit there and wait for the next Windows Update and then test that update to death once it is released. It doesn't work that way.

Of course, 3rd-party updates that have bugs can smash Windows. I am not denying that fact.

The system was working fine until the people attempted to upgrade to 1803... that's plain enough.

Everyone is assuming that Microsoft changed nothing in 1803. While I could find out, it would take hours because Microsoft doesn't make looking anything up easy. It just isn't worth my time to figure it out.

All I am pointing out is that what people really want is someone to point the finger at - and invariably it always ends up being the 3rd-party publisher - long before all the information is made available. And I mean officially and not some Reddit.

Last edited by a moderator:

baddogai

Level 1
Verified
May 16, 2018
I'm sure it has been mentioned many times before, but in general it's advisable to disable or uninstall your Antivirus prior to any major OS Upgrades.
Agreed. Especially if you are doing major feature updates like this.

Although I think Microsoft is to blame too. They change a lot in these feature updates in the low level parts of the OS, kernel drivers and such. You think they would test the updates with one of the most used antivirus programs on the planet.
Although this may be too much to expect from an incompetent company like Microsoft who reportedly fired their testers and rely on Windows Insiders for QA which are probably not gonna run a lot of third party programs.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I had to uninstall WinPatrol in order to have a successful upgrade on my main system. This surprised me to no end, especially as CF was fine with it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
All I am pointing out is that what people really want is someone to point the finger at - and invariably it always ends up being the 3rd-party publisher - long before all the information is made available. And I mean officially and not some Reddit.
Well it kind of was their fault, because non-Avast users didn't have this issue. Js.

In cooperation with Microsoft we have identified an element of the latest Windows 10 1803 update that is incompatible with the Avast Behavior Shield, causing the aforementioned update to fail in some instances (related to a timing issue, Internet connectivity issue, etc). Luckily, we have found a way to prevent the problem and are now automatically pushing a VPS update to all customers which makes sure that the problem doesn't happen. The VPS number is 180524-08; all users running this version (or later) should be 100% safe.

-Vlk
May 24th - Windows 10 failed update to 1803, maybe an Avast problem?

Basically Avast was incompatible with the latest Windows 10 update. They have public beta builds quite regularly.. right?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
instead of uninstalling would deactivating it permanently and updating the OS be any help? Many AVs have options to deactivate and start protection again until manually activating it again, even through restarts

D

Deleted member 178

instead of uninstalling would deactivating it permanently and updating the OS be any help? Many AVs have options to deactivate and start protection again until manually activating it again, even through restarts
it may help if the deactivation also stop the service.
But to be honest i prefer full uninstall, at least i'm sure nothing will interfere.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Most of the time, it is enough to just disable active protection for all security apps.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.