Advice Request Avast: Enable rootkit scan on system startup?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have this disabled, but do I need it?

upload_2017-6-12_21-58-30.png

Thanks.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I'd honestly say up to you. I assume like Malwarebytes, having that enabled will slow down the scan time. Does Avast by default quick scan the computer upon startup?

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
After 8 mins of the computer starting up, Avast scans for any active rootkits which are running in memory. This scan is very quick (a few seconds usually in the background) which you won't notice.

I'd suggest you keep it enabled. You can test to see the difference (with and without the setting enabled) but you really won't notice anything.

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
If your security setup is good enough and your computer was clean before you installed it, then having it disabled should not be a big issue. If a rootkit got installed on a computer the damage is probably already done. That said, having it enabled won't do any harm if your computer has the resources for it.
If I were you, I would just let it enabled since the well known GMER - Standalone anti rootkit scanner uses Avast's anti rootkit technology. Sounds like good to go with enabled on this one.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Rootkit scan at startup is important to detect rootkits before they are loaded. Planning a scan at boot, Avast takes control of the system and, even before Windows starts, run the scan for any possible rootkits to easily eliminating them.

Malware with rootkit capabilities are not very common nowadays, then you can flag the box sometimes, when you want.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After 8 mins of the computer starting up, Avast scans for any active rootkits which are running in memory. This scan is very quick (a few seconds usually in the background) which you won't notice.
A few seconds sounds good time for a scan.

If I were you, I would just let it enabled since the well known GMER - Standalone anti rootkit scanner uses Avast's anti rootkit technology. Sounds like good to go with enabled on this one.
I've heard of GMER before. Re-enabled it.

Reactions: darko999
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.