Battle "Avast Free 2017 with aggressive setting" vs "F-secure SAFE 2017"

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Good evening everyone! Thank you for your access to here and reading my post.
Tonight, I want to ask you that how much the Avast Free Antivirus reaches some solid anti-malware software, which are the paid version.

Now I am using F-secure SAFE as Trial license on desktop PC, which is one of the mine.
It seems to nice for protect PC and F-secure SAFE is light despite it is one of the very strong scanning system as consumers.

But now, I am worrying about false blocking by browsing protection of F-secure SAFE.
In usually, f-secure is not making something to bad situation for me, I am feeling it.
But the Browsing protection feature of F-secure SAFE blocks websites too many times.
The most of sites,which were blocked by F-secure are obviously safe. Of cause, they are judged safe sites by other major antimalware soft (e.g. Avast, Bitdefender Total Security).

So I want to compare them; Avast Free Antivirus 2017 and F-secure SAFE 2017(or Internet Security 2017).
I want to ask you that which is the more strong software under the below situation...

OS is Windows10 Home and updated with latest security patch.
Main browser is the latest of Mozilla Firefox with ublock origin.
If I use Avast Free 2017, I will configure some setting (e.g. File Shield, Mail Shield, Web Shield, and Behavior Shield) to aggressive security level. For example, I will configure by referring to this page avast! Optimal Protection settings by RejZoR

I heard that the latest edition of Avast Free Antivirus is very nice and solid software.
But around now, Avast Free is weak a little in terms of the protection score of some famous test than Bitdefender, F-secure...

If you are the PC user in the situation like me, which software do you choose?
Avast or F-secure?

I hope to your participate to this discussion, and post your opinion.
By the way, my riplies may be delayed too long because of my daily life and business, and my sentence may be not nice for understand my situation correctly because of my ability to use English.

If you have more question about my question, please tell me at this thread by all means.
Thank you!

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
hey, dude, u can't compare avast free vs paid product!
but in my opinion:
F-secure: good support and forum +Light+good behavior blocker+clean product+easy to use+not costumizable and good for noobs
Avast free:bad support+buggy software+good detection rate+bonus features(wifi inspector+Boot-time Scan)+customizable for better detection rate

S3cur1ty 3nthu5145t

Level 6
Verified
May 22, 2017
Good evening everyone! Thank you for your access to here and reading my post.
Tonight, I want to ask you that how much the Avast Free Antivirus reaches some solid anti-malware software, which are the paid version.

Now I am using F-secure SAFE as Trial license on desktop PC, which is one of the mine.
It seems to nice for protect PC and F-secure SAFE is light despite it is one of the very strong scanning system as consumers.

But now, I am worrying about false blocking by browsing protection of F-secure SAFE.
In usually, f-secure is not making something to bad situation for me, I am feeling it.
But the Browsing protection feature of F-secure SAFE blocks websites too many times.
The most of sites,which were blocked by F-secure are obviously safe. Of cause, they are judged safe sites by other major antimalware soft (e.g. Avast, Bitdefender Total Security).

If this application is not working for you and your uses, then you have already answered your own question.

So I want to compare them; Avast Free Antivirus 2017 and F-secure SAFE 2017(or Internet Security 2017).
I want to ask you that which is the more strong software under the below situation...

Again, this will depend on you, the user, and your uses of your system and needs.

T

The paranoid one

Precisely, I am moving from F-Secure Safe to Avast. the reason? I am using Comodo Firewall and F-Secure is based on Windows firewall and is always sending annoying pups saying that my computer is not protected and Windows Firewall must be activate.
When it comes to protecting my computer there are no major differences in quality, but Avast has more components like a safe browser

kamo_jisan

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Sep 3, 2016
Hello all! Thank you for your opinions. I read these comments.
I want to add more infomation about my asking.

Additon 1
I understand that comparing soft between paid and non-paid is very difficult, too.
But I want to compare them because I am able to use only security soft like AvastFree except licenses,which I'm having (Bitdefnder Paid and F-secure Paid).
I was given their licenses by the present campaign, so I am having only them as paid security soft.​

Additon 2
I have used F-secure SAFE of PC for few months, and it has been judged many site as dangerous website.
Of cause, I don't access obviously dangerous site deliberately.

These site are included some famous site of my country(e.g. A TV station's site, Mobile communication company's, and some blogmedia site).
I guess that F-secure is judging no little websites as dangerous sites based the reason only non-famous in global (and famous in a few region).​

Addition 3
I am also using these tools; Firefox with ublock origin(enabled malware filters and some famous filters).
And I am enabling dangerous download blocking feature included Firefox as browser setting.

I thought that it is enough for me to block dangerous sites even if I disable F-secure's site blocking. Of cause, I continue to use HTTP/HTTPS scan and dangerous downloading blocking feature of F-secure.​

Additon 4
I thought above things, and I decided to turn off only "Dangerous sites blocking" at Browsing Protection of F-secure SAFE.
But I am worrying about some displaying message at F-secure panel.

F-secure's Main interface panel is not showing any warning messages (There is usually a message that "You are protected").
But the control panel of Borwsing Protection is showing a warning message that "Some blocking is disabled, and you are not protected from dangerous websites".(It may be wrong translated sentence because of my ability).

Are the warning message,which is at Browsing Protection important for me even if I configure the setting as Additonal 3?
Should I not ignore the warning message and enable Browsing Protection feature of F-secure?
I think that the reason of showing the warning message by F-secure is for preparing the worst.
If the reason only from it, I guess that there is no problems for keeping security if I disable site blocking by F-secure SAFE. (Only F-secure's Site blocking feature... I will use other security feature provided by F-secure SAFE!)​

... May I add avobe information for solving more correctly?
Thank you.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
if you haven't decided yet, check out the test results of fs protection (that is esentially the same as SAFE) in the malware samples section, imo it's a better choice than Avast.

to the Dangerous sites question, isn't there an Ignore/Allow button that lets you go through?

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
From my experience when F-Secure Web blocker says a site is dangerous most of the time it's correct.
The false positives comes mainly from their BB Deep Guard which is a bit aggressive.
As for a firewall you can always run CFW or ZoneAlarm FW with FS

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
From my experience when F-Secure Web blocker says a site is dangerous most of the time it's correct.
The false positives comes mainly from their BB Deep Guard which is a bit aggressive.
As for a firewall you can always run CFW or ZoneAlarm FW with FS
yea one of the weak points of FSecure products is that it's using Windows Firewall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.