Solarquest

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
  • Pros
    Antivirus lab test results plentiful and positive. Excellent scores in our hands-on tests. Free. Network security inspector. Password manager. Extensive collection of useful, security-related bonus features.

• Cons
    Password manager features limited. Poor antiphishing score. Some bonus features require separate purchase.

• Bottom Line
    Avast Free Antivirus 2017 combines a great free antivirus with a surprisingly extensive collection of bonus features.
more in the link above

Wordward

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
"Avast earned that six points in protection and usability, but it fell down in the performance category, earning just 3.5 points."

Not sure about this. At least on my 3 year old Asus notebook. Pentium i5, with 8 MB RAM. Windows 10 upgraded that is. My laptop is running better now than with Windows Defender. Surfing is noticeably faster as well.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
"Avast earned that six points in protection and usability, but it fell down in the performance category, earning just 3.5 points."

Not sure about this. At least on my 3 year old Asus notebook. Pentium i5, with 8mb RAM. Windows 10 upgraded that is. My laptop is running better now than with Windows Defender. Surfing is noticeably faster as well.
they may have tested avast with all default settings including useless and heavy craps. Moreover, avast in the first week may be slow due to caching, after that, it will be much faster

in all of my computers, avast is noticeably faster than WD/MSE and other AVs I have tried. Custom settings of course

Last edited:

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I keep on seeing reviewers scoring it low and yet my garbage old laptop with AMD E-450 feels snappy like I'm not even using an AV. Same goes for HP X2 hybrid netbook with Atom X5 Z8300.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I do not understand until today these sites say that Avast has a poor performance, in all the tests that I do in several machines it always had a great performance, much better than the others that they say to have better performance. Avast on the issue Protection will start to stand out from now on with this new version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.