App Review Avast Free Antivirus Tested 5.26.19

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
It's not good, it's one of the worst in the market.
weak argument man
The best AV is any AV you know how to use it thoroughly
I have repaired many PCs protected by norton (many malwares) and some with kaspersky, mostly with PUPs, toolbars, adwares
many with windows defender or some with MSE on windows 7
nobody uses Bitdefender in my country
I never repair any PC with avast

can I say avast is better than them all? No
(but I do list norton in my blacklist due to many problems and many infections I have seen)

but avast is the best for me because I consider myself an expert at tweaking avast for years of playing around with different settings and combinations

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
but avast is the best for me because I consider myself an expert at tweaking avast for years of playing around with different settings and combinations
THIS is very important. There's no such thing as "the best antivirus" or "the worst antivirus". There are softwares that can or cannot suit your needs. Each AV will work different on each machine, and every scenario is a complex situation. For me, Avast could not work due to my needs and activities. For you, it may be the best option.

There are software that could use to make good or bad on independent tests, this may give you a general idea on wether it's useful to test it on your machine or not. But, for me, Kaspersky and ESET are the best according to my needs. For you, they could be a terrible option.

Everybody should use what they need, not what everybody uses.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I used it in the past for several years. Never had a problem with it. Only you need to block a few connections with a firewall to zero out the ads and telemetry. One bad thing is when you uninstall the product, it leaves Overseerer behind. It is hard to delete all the files and registry keys.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
... One bad thing is when you uninstall the product, it leaves Overseerer behind. It is hard to delete all the files and registry keys.

I didn't find this to be such a big deal. I believe it now uninstalls all or most of Overseer and remnants upon removal. They seem to have cleaned up their act a bit. More privacy opt-outs now as well. They may have seen the writing on the wall, privacy wise!

stefanos

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I didn't find this to be such a big deal. I believe it now uninstalls all or most of Overseer and remnants upon removal. They seem to have cleaned up their act a bit. More privacy opt-outs now as well. They may have seen the writing on the wall, privacy wise!
I have uninstalled Avast AVG many times with revo pro, perfect.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Every personal experience with Avast (or another AV) is probably true and there will be always people with a bad experience and others with a stellar experience. This follows from the simple statistics because computer infections are pretty much random.
It is hard to see something close to the truth about Avast infections in the home environment, even after comparing all Avast related posts on MT forum.:(
The most popular AVs will always be underrated by guys who professionally repair infected Windows. People who installed not so popular AV, are also not so frequent clients, even when the AV is worse than Avast.:unsure:
If one believes in "wisdom of crowds", then "wisdom of MT crowd" is that Avast free does not differ much from the best free AVs.:giggle:(y)

Last edited:

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Inappropriate Behavior
Well that has its explanation .. Avast is the most used antivirus.:giggle:
the most used and the most trash av

weak argument man
The best AV is any AV you know how to use it thoroughly
I have repaired many PCs protected by norton (many malwares) and some with kaspersky, mostly with PUPs, toolbars, adwares
many with windows defender or some with MSE on windows 7
nobody uses Bitdefender in my country
I never repair any PC with avast

can I say avast is better than them all? No
(but I do list norton in my blacklist due to many problems and many infections I have seen)

is not the best is very poor av, your arguments are poor

Kaspersky, bitdefender and Norton are the top av products in the market not avast, not avg, not avira, not quihoo, not eset, not comodo, not trend micro, not bullguard. Norton > Avast in all circumstances

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Venustus and Brie

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
the most used and the most trash av

is not the best is very poor av, your arguments are poor

Kaspersky, bitdefender and Norton are the top av products in the market not avast, not avg, not avira, not quihoo, not eset, not comodo, not trend micro, not bullguard
I’m not seeing how these arguments are different than yours. Both are mostly based on personal experience.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
No, I speak of real experience, both from our own clients and from REAL tests, either from youtubers or from laboratory tests.
How is your experience any more real than someone else’s? Not to mention lab tests aren’t the end all be all of how effective a solution is, especially for home users. Most of it is for marketing and potentially AVs are being coded to do well at certain lab testing. Talking to people who have done extensive testing themselves and saying it’s not true doesn’t change the fact that they got the results they got. Experience isn’t objective.

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
How is your experience any more real than someone else’s? Not to mention lab tests aren’t the end all be all of how effective a solution is, especially for home users. Most of it is for marketing and potentially AVs are being coded to do well at certain lab testing. Talking to people who have done extensive testing themselves and saying it’s not true doesn’t change the fact that they got the results they got. Experience isn’t objective.
I'm not talking about my personal experience, I'm talking about youtubers that test, clients that have arrived with infected computers and it's always the same problem. Avast encouraged the team or not detecting malware and making the computer useless. What about the 3 av that I say I do not say that they are the best, say most of the pages on the Internet, they say forums, what youtubers say, they say test laboratories and it is always those 3 av those who are in the top, Norton, Kaspersky and Bitfefender, there's no more.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I'm not talking about my personal experience, I'm talking about youtubers that test, clients that have arrived with infected computers and it's always the same problem. Avast encouraged the team or not detecting malware and making the computer useless. What about the 3 av that I say I do not say that they are the best, say most of the pages on the Internet, they say forums, what youtubers say, they say test laboratories and it is always those 3 av those who are in the top, Norton, Kaspersky and Bitfefender, there's no more.
Labs and youtubers don’t replicate real world scenarios. They can’t. So it’s a rough approximation.

As for experience, saying you have clients who use Avast coming in with infections is your experience. I’m not saying it’s wrong, but it’s also an incredibly small sample size. But, I also don’t blame you for having the opinion you do since that’s what you have seen. I probably would avoid it as well if that’s what I had seen.

All I am saying is calling a product trash over and over isn’t constructive to the conversation.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Is not the best is very poor av, your arguments are poor
Your arguments are poor. Everytime I see you post you simply refuse to take the opinion of others. You simply bash those AV's that are not your favourites. You are free to bash them if you want but without facts and evidence your bashing is totally worthless. You never contribute anything to any thread. Go and take a look at the MWHub in this forum. Look at the results of AVG/Avast. Last time you were focused on bashing ESET. Open your eyes and take a good look at the latest result posted on the Hub where ESET performed admirably. Constructive criticism is welcomed here but you just keep on bashing without any solid evidence.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Your arguments are poor. Everytime I see you post you simply refuse to take the opinion of others. You simply bash those AV's that are not your favourites. You are free to bash them if you want but without facts and evidence your bashing is totally worthless. You never contribute anything to any thread. Go and take a look at the MWHub in this forum. Look at the results of AVG/Avast. Last time you were focused on bashing ESET. Open your eyes and take a good look at the latest result posted by me on the Hub where ESET performed admirably. Constructive criticism is welcomed here but you just keep on bashing without any solid evidence.
Thank you for testing ESET by the way. Almost making me want to go back.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.