avast! Free Antivirus wins 12th straight VB100 award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
PRAGUE, Czech Republic, April 11, 2011 – avast! Free Antivirus won its twelfth straight VB100 award for malware detection for AVAST Software in the latest Virus Bulletin test. avast! Free Antivirus combined high scanning speed with very good detection skills that exceeded the best that many paid-for consumer and high-end business products could offer.

http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-free-antivirus-wins-12th-straight-vb100-award?utm_campaign=14-04-11_VB100_award&utm_content=157677350&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Mktg_Newsletter

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Nice..But I have a question, Is avast the only vendor who achived this performance?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Is Microsoft Security Essentials in that list or did I miss it? No Norton either?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Dieselman said:
The graph says it all.
This graph?
virus-bulletin-201104.png

Who in the right mind cares about Ram Usage Increase When scaning? :lolz: ... and yes,like storm said ..where is MSE and NIS ?
Also Emsisfot on 2nd place.. Nice..the bad part is that "Ram Usage Increase When scaning" is the last thing I care about :p

When I asked : Is avast the only vendor who achived this performance?
i was refering to the " avast! Free Antivirus won its twelfth straight VB100 award for malware detection" part.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Well I sure do. Some people like to run a scan while still doing other stuff. NIS and KIS running a full scan eat my ram and cpu. Avira did also. Avast scans are not even noticible and I have everything maxed out. Scan times are very fast also.

Full Scan Times:

NIS = 1.5 hours
KIS = 2 hours
Avast = 36 minutes

Thats with the same amount of files being scanned (700,000)

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
How can NIS or KIS..or any security software eat 2 to 4 GB of Ram? :shok: ... maybe they eat your CPU... ?
Also are you sure about NIS and 1.5 hours?As far as I can remember NIS has some advanced scanning technologies , that skips know files from scaning...

mhartsellm

Mar 8, 2011
You are correct Jack, Norton's initial scan does take awhile but after that it is very quick. Norton scans automatically during idle times so there are no need for manual scans at all.

I just started a manual scan as a test and the slowdown I experienced was nil.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Jack......................Come on now. I used NIS for almost 2 years. Do you think I would lie about the scan times? The Norton Community is suppose to limit the scan times and ignore trusted files but my scan results did not show that. The Norton Community would prevent NIS for scanning known trusted files in real time but not when doing an on demand full scan or scheduled. Did I say they would eat 2-4GB of ram. No. But using 200MB while scanning is very high. Avast uses about 15MB while running a full scan and right now as I type its only using 7MB just sitting there (no scan).

An explanation of InSight from Symantec.

Norton Insight: This exclusive Norton technology helps protect without sacrificing performance by identifying trusted files that do not require repeated scanning for faster, fewer scans.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Turns out that not only Avast has 12th straight VB100 awards...... In fact if someone needs to brag is ESET....!!! :lolz:

Test history Avast vs ESET

Avast
ikRM0c.png

ESET
ikNzLE.png

VB100 certifications history, for the last 20 tests over the past 3 years on various platforms:
  • Avast: 17 pass, 3 fails
  • AVG: 18 pass, 2 fails
  • Avira: 17 pass, 3 fails
  • BitDefender: 11 pass, 4 fails, 5 tests not entered
  • Comodo Internet Security: 1 pass, 2 fails, 1 test not entered
  • Coranti: 3 pass, 2 fails, 1 test not entered
  • Emsisoft: 2 pass, 3 fails, 2 tests not entered
  • ESET: 20 pass, 0 fail
  • F-Secure: 9 pass, 0 fail, 11 tests not entered
  • G Data: 11 pass, 1 fail, 8 tests not entered
  • Kaspersky: 15 pass, 4 fails, 1 test not entered
  • McAfee: 12 pass, 4 fails, 4 tests not entered
  • Norman: 9 pass, 8 fails, 8 tests not entered
  • Symantec: 14 pass, 1 fails, 5 tests not entered
  • Trustport: 12 pass, 2 fails, 6 tests not entered

Vendors who manage to get 5 straight VB100 awards (Aug 2010-2011 Round Tests)
ikNxD6.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Wow...where is Trend Micro on these charts?

Plus they look very interesting...shows how much avast cares about ram increase usage

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
McLovin said:
Plus they look very interesting...shows how much avast cares about ram increase usage
My take : No,Avast dosen't really care about "Ram Usage Increase When scaning" ...but this is the only chart in which they are on the top..... :lolz:
They are using a marketing tehnique to suggest to people they are NO. 1 ! ;) , you see people will always look for "the best" in everything.
People have no idea that "Ram Usage Increase When scaning" is in number 100 in a list that shows whats important and what's not in a security solution!

To Avast : Can we please see the "CPU Usage Increase When scaning" ... ?:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
McLovin said:
Wow...where is Trend Micro on these charts?

Seems Trend Micro is not listed there. Just checked the list of summary there.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
CPU usage while scanning is about none. Honestly. I will run a full scan and take a screen shot of Process Hacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.