Avast Free,Comodo Antivirus or both?

2010barba

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2014
Hello people! :D

Look, I have been testing Avast for 7 months or a little more, and it turns out that one of my teams installed the famous "Reimage Repair" which annoyed me a lot .. I did an analysis and did not detect what was quite annoying And send it to Virustotal and comfortable if I detected it as a virus to which my question is;

What do I recommend Avast Free? Comodo Internet Security? Or both?:confused:

Is it possible to have both assets or is it crazy:rolleyes:? Since I am aware that having two antivirus is not good at all ... If I recommend the two, which settings do I recommend to keep both?

If something is not understood tell me and I leave the doubt, From now thank you very much!

Posts: I accidentally put the question of "what antivirus suan" in Spanish, please correct it to English "What antivirus use"

Atte: From Argentina!
Salu2!;)

Last edited:
Reactions: novocaine

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
agreed with LanDude, use CIS and follow Cruelsister's setting, don't worry about Comodo AV, I have tried it and it detects more than I expected, the only bad things is if it detects something by its real time (not on demand scanner) it will always require system restart for removal

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
comodo is good the set up you need help with you need a fullday to set it up properly or just set it to paranoid mode!!
just activate the proactive mode and it's all set and don't ever use Comodo default setting :D I'm using Cruelsister's setting but with HIPS enabled. paranoid mode is personnal I think. fo me it's annoying and I don't need this because I see it as a tool, every choices mentioned above are tools. I'm sure that everyone who ever spend some time here, they will really know what to do, click and execute. imagine a zombie attack, a sharp shooter or sniper carrying pistol and a gardener carrying AK-47, who will get more?

Reactions: frogboy and Rengar

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you want a really strong antivirus solution, go with Kaspersky Internet Security.

If you want to try the unique default/deny approach of Comodo, then go with Comodo Firewall. But don't think it functions like an AV. It is a totally different approach to security, and it takes some time and learning to get used to it. You can combo it with a simple AV, such as Avast without behavior shield.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Kaspersky is a good idea for paid protection. I have been fine with just Avast Free for many years and no infections. I tried Comodo Firewall for an hour, it was god awful. Practically a virus if you ask me, cripped my computer and it took about 10+ forced reboots to uninstall. (Once it booted I couldn't do anything..) 360 I found to be quite decent as well. You decide..

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
if you decide to try Comodo, go with just Comodo FireWall (CFW) NOT CIS...
read cruelsister setup thread to see why (basically, Comodo AV inside CIS is not that great, and CFW already has cloud AV, Comodo AV just adds offline detection which is unnecessary if you use cruelsister's config).
Cruelsister's config video was posted already above, but this is the thread so you can read all the pages/messages about it
Video Review - Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

if you want to buy BitDefender cheap, i posted thread about it in hot deals that i found
On Sale! - BitDefender 2017 72% Off All Products (BTS/BIS/BAV+) (48 Hrs Only Maybe??)

both work differently, CFW just needs more setup and lots more education/learning on how to setup and use it

when you download Comodo software there is lots of crapware installed with it. Some users even wrote that its hard to download just CFW alone, they always end up with CIS somehow. Read this thread in Comodo forum section showing the crapware installed by comodo step by step, before you download and install to see what you DONT want to do (otherwise u end up with lots of crapware lol)
Free download from Comodo.com - How much crap gets installed?

Reactions: TairikuOkami

2010barba

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2014
just activate the proactive mode and it's all set and don't ever use Comodo default setting :D I'm using Cruelsister's setting but with HIPS enabled. paranoid mode is personnal I think. fo me it's annoying and I don't need this because I see it as a tool, every choices mentioned above are tools. I'm sure that everyone who ever spend some time here, they will really know what to do, click and execute. imagine a zombie attack, a sharp shooter or sniper carrying pistol and a gardener carrying AK-47, who will get more?

Estoy de acuerdo con usted en que el modo paranoico em parece molestos pero aquí mis dudas;

¿Cuál es cruelsister y por qué usarlo con HIPS activada? Y con referencia a AK47 (jeje) ¿Se refiere a la COMODO?

¡Gracias!

Last edited:

2010barba

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2014
Kaspersky is a good idea for paid protection. I have been fine with just Avast Free for many years and no infections. I tried Comodo Firewall for an hour, it was god awful. Practically a virus if you ask me, cripped my computer and it took about 10+ forced reboots to uninstall. (Once it booted I couldn't do anything..) 360 I found to be quite decent as well. You decide..
if you decide to try Comodo, go with just Comodo FireWall (CFW) NOT CIS...
read cruelsister setup thread to see why (basically, Comodo AV inside CIS is not that great, and CFW already has cloud AV, Comodo AV just adds offline detection which is unnecessary if you use cruelsister's config).
Cruelsister's config video was posted already above, but this is the thread so you can read all the pages/messages about it
Video Review - Comodo Firewall 10 Setup

if you want to buy BitDefender cheap, i posted thread about it in hot deals that i found
On Sale! - BitDefender 2017 72% Off All Products (BTS/BIS/BAV+) (48 Hrs Only Maybe??)

both work differently, CFW just needs more setup and lots more education/learning on how to setup and use it

when you download Comodo software there is lots of crapware installed with it. Some users even wrote that its hard to download just CFW alone, they always end up with CIS somehow. Read this thread in Comodo forum section showing the crapware installed by comodo step by step, before you download and install to see what you DONT want to do (otherwise u end up with lots of crapware lol)
Free download from Comodo.com - How much crap gets installed?

Thank you very much for your answers and those of all, but with your comments, this doubt has arisen;

Why not install comodo internet security and just reomiendan comodo firewall?

Kaspersky I really like it but it's not what I was looking for thanks!

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Why not install comodo internet security and just reomiendan comodo firewall?
Because Comodo Firewall already includes known threat detection through Comodo's cloud rating scanner. The only difference is that CFW doesn't include any offline scanning component or the removal of detected threats (quarantine is available though).

2010barba

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2014
Because Comodo Firewall already includes known threat detection through Comodo's cloud rating scanner. The only difference is that CFW doesn't include any offline scanning component or the removal of detected threats (quarantine is available though).
Ah ok ok i understand, you recommend then avast and install comet firewall true?

Thanks!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.