Battle Avast Free, Kaspersky AV, ESET NOD32 or renew Emsisoft?

Compare list
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Eset NOD32 Antivirus
Kaspersky Antivirus (free or paid)
Avast Free

Tibro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
Hello guys,

My Emsisoft license has expired and i have to buy new one but i'm comfused.
I need an AV with really minimal system impact and stability (with my software enviroment) with good protect. With Emsisoft i had some trouble with behavior module: put my games (paid, not warez) and some softwares to quarantine, flaged with suspicious and it is really
obstructive and uncomfortable to me.
I don't know what changed about last year what AV is good nowadays from my list?

PC: Intel i3 8100, 16GB DDR4, 256GB Samsung SSD.
Windows 10 Pro (1809) 64 bit

Frequent softwares: Google Chrome and Firefox, Total Commander, Spotify, Windows Mail, Skype, Steam, Origin, Microsoft Office 2016, OpenVPN, PHP Storm, Git, Composer, XMPP, TeamViewer, Gimp, VLC, K-Lite Codec Pack, TeamSpeak, Viber, Discord, Google Suite tools.

Last edited:

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Emsisoft with exclusions as Azure stated. It works excellent with all the VPN i tested. The truth is I haven't had any issue with VPN with Kaspersky either. So, my advice is stick with Emsi as I did.

Tibro

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 10, 2017
Thank u everyone.
I'll try Kaspersky Antivirus (paid) again. I hope it will fit to my activities and software enviroment, if not i switch to eset.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Just getting opinions but from other posts on this forum, I think I found my match in Cf/cs with Forticlient AV Free.
I agree too many installs and uninstalls leave remnants, and I do have multiple system images as backups. Thanks.

Haven't heard this mentioned a lot, is forticlient one that you have to run from a main PC and then you can have many endpoints from that? Or am I thinking of something else

TapaDonut

Level 1
Oct 14, 2015
If I'll pick based on what you enumerated, then I would recommend going with ESET if you want minimal impact with good protection. There are other AVs that are good too such as F-Secure and Webroot. Kaspersky does give a great protection but depending on your PC it can be a security with minimal impact or as heavy as Bitdefender or even worse as heavy as Trend Micro.

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Haven't heard this mentioned a lot, is forticlient one that you have to run from a main PC and then you can have many endpoints from that? Or am I thinking of something else
It can be run standalone in a single pc but has applications to run with their specific hardwares. More info can be gleaned from their website, and ForgottenSeer 58943's hardening suggestion on this website. Hope this helps